Madison Scouts 2018

15 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

So many people think raising funds is as easy as making it “a priority.” 

I think we have been in a precarious financial position for a very long time now. So little fixes like shaking the alumni tree or a golf outing or such little fundraisers aren’t enough. Even if there is a calculation of if 500 alumni give $1000 or something it is not going to be a permanent source of annual revenue . Even if it happened once and they got the cash, there is still the creative deficit that needs to be closed with the other corps. So no it’s not easy and no I don’t see leadership able to solve it. 

15 hours ago, TRacer said:

While this is likely blasphamy to many readers, would Madison swallow their pride and consider partnering with another willing organization, much like Bones and Cadets did? 

That wasn't a partnership - that was an acquisition.  Madison did that once, with Southwind.  Worked fine in the short term, not so well in the long term. 

Mike

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

The recent success of SCV is more attributed to an amazing staff, but primarily Michael Gaines who gave them that boost they needed.  I wouldn’t give Koter the credit, sorry. Please don’t forget that Scott was coordinator for the Cavaliers 2012-2015, without Gaines, and look what that brought them (their lowest consecutive placements since the 80’s). Personally im glad the Cavaliers had the huevos to make the move to replace him.

Koter helped to win five titles from 00-06.

If the point is "Gaines is the reason that SCV is good," then the same argument would be "Gaines is the reason that Cavies were good from 99-11." In which case, I would ask "then why replace Koter?" I mean, if he's given no credit for any success, why credit him with any failures?

Its really regrettable to see Madison Scouts Alums so down on their Corps and so publically like this. Some Alums are even publically dropping support for their Corps, and moving their support and donations to other competing Corps. Publically expressing this abandonment too. So the Show Design for 2018 might not be up to Alums expectations. Or Placements not up to Alums expectations. So this is the reason to lash out publically like this ? Whatever happened to taking things in house ?... privately... to fix placements/ show designs ?  If Madison Scouts Alums think that publically lashing out like this... or publically announcing they are abandoning ship in their support, is anything but counterproductive to improving things there, then I fail to see how such public hostility/ abandonment serves any useful purpose at all in attempts to future improve things . But... thats of course, not my call, as I have no skin in the game, like the Madison Scouts Alums do. I just wish most Madison Scouts Alums would ponder and reflect a bit more, and reevaluate if going so publically hostile like this with mgt, Staff is the right way to go about this.. and during the summer no less when their kids are still out there performing and competing... instead of quietly, methodically, and privately coming together there to figure out the best way to implement the changes needed to improve things there.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I was thinking about the Mandarin's show this year and Madison keeps coming up in my mind.  The Mandarin's show is aggressive and entertaining, a format that I believe would fit the Scouts.

Don’t worry about the Alumni, if these discussions were an anomaly and not the new regular, fine. The alumni page was shut with direction from the leadership. So the remaining option is public..... this is going on the 5th season of this and I for one have had enough drama. This is probably my last post or reply and unless I see a substantive change I’m out.  This situation has been ongoing and been screamed in the face of leadership. Maybe coed will solve it, but not the artistic deficiency. For the last 3 years I’ve found the shows unwatchable. Maybe it is just me I don’t know. I think I watched last years show 2x. I don’t like it on any level and I know what I feel. I feel like the corps is like a belligerent child. I’m not gonna support it unless it’s behavior is changed. But I like drum corps so what is my option? Block me if you want, but if you don’t want this public give a closed option reopen the alumni page. It is bothersome that discussion is censored at a time when the corps is at all kinds of junctures. 

Edited by brianella
  • Thanks 1

Hey Brasso - if it were just programming and placement, that would be one thing. But its how Komnick is operating with a lack of transparency, with a BOD that rubber stamps whatever he wants, and with the Corps going further and further into debt each season. They were inches away from folding before the 2016 because of bad finances. Komnickcalled an emergency meeting of the Board and told them that if we couldn’t get a loannof $75,000, the tour would have to be cancelled. If Madison Scouts were a regular business, he would have been fired years ago.

• Like 1

The vocal alumni are the vast minority if you consider the total alumni pool.  I think most alumni are way more tolerant of down years, down decades even.  I think most alumni see the artistic experience and life lessons that the kids are getting is more similar than different to what its always been, and that is what matters.  It's their turn now, we had our day.  All these corps beating us for the first time deserve it, and my hats off to them.   

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Nine White Russians said:

Hey Brasso - if it were just programming and placement, that would be one thing. But its how Komnick is operating with a lack of transparency, with a BOD that rubber stamps whatever he wants, and with the Corps going further and further into debt each season. They were inches away from folding before the 2016 because of bad finances. Komnickcalled an emergency meeting of the Board and told them that if we couldn’t get a loannof $75,000, the tour would have to be cancelled. If Madison Scouts were a regular business, he would have been fired years ago.

I get that. But tell me the benefit of going so public with this. How does this help in any manner. ? Again, I'm not attempting to diminish in any way the frustrations you all feel here. I'm just not getting how you all believe going so public like this in this manner can help things. What am I missing ? As I'm not seeing much upside to this strategy at the moment.. just a whole lot of downside to these very public bursts of angriness and frustrations, as real as they may be for you all. Might this all be be handled better among yourselves... and in private ?  And the timing.  Your Madison Scouts marchers are still out there competing while all these public protestations are taking place so publically like this. How does this help the current marchers advance this season in any way ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, brianella said:

Don’t worry about the Alumni, if these discussions were an anomaly and not the new regular, fine. The alumni page was shut with direction from the leadership. So the remaining option is public..... this is going on the 5th season of this and I for one have had enough drama. This is probably my last post or reply and unless I see a substantive change I’m out.  This situation has been ongoing and been screamed in the face of leadership. Maybe coed will solve it, but not the artistic deficiency. For the last 3 years I’ve found the shows unwatchable. Maybe it is just me I don’t know. I think I watched last years show 2x. I don’t like it on any level and I know what I feel. I feel like the corps is like a belligerent child. I’m not gonna support it unless it’s behavior is changed. But I like drum corps so what is my option? Block me if you want, but if you don’t want this public give a closed option reopen the alumni page. It is bothersome that discussion is censored at a time when the corps is at all kinds of junctures. 

The Scouts alumni page was not run by "the leadership" but rather by 2 alumni who started it years ago. They shut it down on their own because of all the BS they had to weed through daily and didn't have the time or desire to do so.

• Thanks 1