Madison Scouts 2018

12 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Koter helped to win five titles from 00-06.

If the point is "Gaines is the reason that SCV is good," then the same argument would be "Gaines is the reason that Cavies were good from 99-11." In which case, I would ask "then why replace Koter?" I mean, if he's given no credit for any success, why credit him with any failures?

A. I'm sure each team functions differently, but the program coordinator is not necessarily responsible for creating the show. He or she guides the team of designers who create the show.

B. Scott Koter was not replaced by The Cavaliers, he resigned at the end of 2015.

Not many corps have been as high for so long as Madison and then fallen as low as they have in the internet age.  Wonder what the Blue Stars alumni thread would have looked like in the 80s and 90s.   Is that the most comparable drop?  Spirit maybe?  Although Spirit wasn't as high for as long in late 70s early 80s. Cadets in 70s?  I was thinking Cavaliers in 70s, but their down years were  relatively short lived in hindsight.

Edited by MadScout80

52 minutes ago, MadScout80 said:

Not many corps have been as high for so long as Madison and then fallen as low as they have in the internet age.  Wonder what the Blue Stars alumni thread would have looked like in the 80s and 90s.   Is that the most comparable drop?  Spirit maybe?  Although Spirit wasn't as high for as long in late 70s early 80s. Cadets in 70s?  I was thinking Cavaliers in 70s, but their down years were  relatively short lived in hindsight.

Sorry, I don’t consider Blue Stars in the 80s and 90s “a drop”. It was more of a comeback and proved their tenacity. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Sorry, I don’t consider Blue Stars in the 80s and 90s “a drop”. It was more of a comeback and proved their tenacity. 

I agree... a re-tooling and a comeback.

Blue Stars had quite a successful run as a Div. 2/3 corps before they were once again ready to move up. 

• Like 1

But to a Blue Star alum who marched in the 60s or 70s and was used to being a contender it must have felt a lot like Madison alumni have been feeling now for years.  Remember Blue Stars from 72-79 were the only corps to have made top 12 every year of DCI.  Don't see how leaving the upper echelon for two decades wasn't a drop.  

54 minutes ago, MadScout80 said:

But to a Blue Star alum who marched in the 60s or 70s and was used to being a contender it must have felt a lot like Madison alumni have been feeling now for years.  Remember Blue Stars from 72-79 were the only corps to have made top 12 every year of DCI.  

Well, them plus SCV. But yes, it was impressive. 

4 hours ago, MadScout80 said:

But to a Blue Star alum who marched in the 60s or 70s and was used to being a contender it must have felt a lot like Madison alumni have been feeling now for years.  Remember Blue Stars from 72-79 were the only corps to have made top 12 every year of DCI.  Don't see how leaving the upper echelon for two decades wasn't a drop.  

A drop, in terms of where they were in the DCI upper echelon in the '70s... sure, absolutely a drop, when looking at the pure numbers.

But in terms of where they could have been.... and that is, gone for good in the early 1980s when they were on the ropes... their decision to basically start over at a lower division level and slowly but surely rebuild took some guts, and foresight, on their part....IMO.

I've been a Blue Stars fan since I first saw them, in 1971. Honestly, as happy as I am that they are back as a consistent top 12 WC contender... I would have had no problem if they had decided to remain a Div. 2/3 (now Open) corps. They had a great corps at that level.

Edited by Fran Haring

16 minutes ago, vferrera said:

SCV also made top 12 72-79.  In fact, I believe they have made top 12 every year of DCI.

They're the only one, from what I recall.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

They had a great corps at that level.

Always entertained and I will get pummeled for this but those "Hot Pants" a classic look that some folks looked forward to every year not me of course.

Edited by Bluzes
typo
  • Like 1