Madison Scouts 2018

Back on topic... I hope there's a cure for whatever is ailing the Scouts. If not this year, then soon.

It sucks to lose any corps these days....all bring something to the table. But to lose an iconic group like the Scouts would be quite a blow. I hope we never see that day.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 9

On 7/17/2018 at 7:03 PM, Mad75 said:

Partially correct...I was told just a few days ago by the original creator of the Alumni FB Page that he was ALSO contacted by CK to shut the page down!  Furthermore, the Originator of the "page" was being threatened to have attorneys come after him for things not liked by this extremely hostile PC "later day" alum!  THIS is how bad the division has become (CK, DP, Board President and Board are hugely responsible and complacent in creating this current toxic environment)!  The PB page originator threw in the towel and said screw it!...It's not worth it anymore!

Golly.  Sounds like Madison is the new Cadets (without the sexual assault)  :ohmy:

On 8/13/2017 at 3:07 AM, swmstom said:

I started the 2017 thread...why not 2018. Let's hear ya. What do you wish for in 2018? Keep costumes? Go back to superman suit? Modernize superman suit? Show ideas?  Let's get the banter going.

Modernize!!

12 hours ago, MadScout80 said:

Not many corps have been as high for so long as Madison and then fallen as low as they have in the internet age.  Wonder what the Blue Stars alumni thread would have looked like in the 80s and 90s.   Is that the most comparable drop?  Spirit maybe?  Although Spirit wasn't as high for as long in late 70s early 80s. Cadets in 70s?  I was thinking Cavaliers in 70s, but their down years were  relatively short lived in hindsight.

There are a few others too. You mentioned some. The Boston Crusaders are another.  In the mid 60's, they were a National Top 3 Drum & Bugle Corps.  'Founding, Charter Member Corps of DCI in '72. But fell upon some very challenging times in the late 70's/ early 80's period.. about as challenging as it gets to keep going.  'Finished out of the TOP 30 a few years. ' competed with just 19 brass one season in that time frame. 80's went bankrupt. Judge took their name away..' had to call themselves "  The Boston Drum & Bugle Corps ".. before getting their Financials and debt in order sufficient enough to go back to that Court a year or 2 later and get the judge to give them their name back... " Boston Crusaders ". From there it was a long uphill climb back.  They rebounded slowly, but surely, ..to eventually qualify for DCI  Finals Status in '99. 

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

Madison must make a leadership change the day after DCI finals. Swift & decisive. As a person who has held executive sales management & leadership positions for 25+ years, I can say with certainty that one of the biggest mistakes an organization can make is to not terminate the employment of a failing under-performing employee. The ability to make the tough decisions is what differentiates good leaders from bad leaders. This current Scout regime is a complete failure & doesn't deserve to return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Madison must make a leadership change the day after DCI finals. Swift & decisive. As a person who has held executive sales management & leadership positions for 25+ years, I can say with certainty that one of the biggest mistakes an organization can make is to not terminate the employment of a failing under-performing employee. The ability to make the tough decisions is what differentiates good leaders from bad leaders. This current Scout regime is a complete failure & doesn't deserve to return.

At this point they can make the call immediately after semi's. 

• Haha 1

At this point and it is a waste of time energy and money. The corps has changed with the blades of glory costumes,  with uninteresting onr non excitement type of shows. All of this to conform to wgi.  By conforming and being a me too,  all in the name of following the crowd to make the finals show. Evidently that is not working, so why not just go back to the Superman suit with the balls in your face Type of show Madison is known for.  What is the worst that could happen? Not make finals, oh yeah it seems to happen a lot as we play follow the leader with no heart or soul.

The brand that Madison is and has been. The Madison Scouts were what drum and bugle corps embodied! The type of show Madison is known for. The brand that Madison is and has been. The Madison Scouts were  The face of drum corps , what pure unadulterated passion and excitement we’re all about. I do  not think that the Madison Scouts running around without the Aussies So the crowd can see your cute little expressions , running around in the pink and red costumes. I want to see the Madison Scouts marching onto that field blowing that stands down with a scowl on their face saying hair I am, this is bad azz!  Why not be the leader and bring drum Corps back to what it was meant to be. And by that, I mean entertaining.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm a Dino, but as a brass player I wanted to be surrounded by other brass that made up the wall of sound that at the time was what DCI meant, at least in my eyes.  If you're not going to be a constant contender, why not be the place where acoustic music comes first and appeal to those that want to be part of that group.  Aim to be a cutting edge musical hornline and build the rest of the program around that.  I didn't want to put my horn down because you're only on the field for minutes, I wanted to play.  Chase that crowd.  Or maybe there isn't enough young ones in that crowd.  I don't know.  Following isn't the answer.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Q of A said:

At this point and it is a waste of time energy and money. The corps has changed with the blades of glory costumes,  with uninteresting onr non excitement type of shows. All of this to conform to wgi.  By conforming and being a me too,  all in the name of following the crowd to make the finals show. Evidently that is not working, so why not just go back to the Superman suit with the balls in your face Type of show Madison is known for.  What is the worst that could happen? Not make finals, oh yeah it seems to happen a lot as we play follow the leader with no heart or soul.

The brand that Madison is and has been. The Madison Scouts were what drum and bugle corps embodied! The type of show Madison is known for. The brand that Madison is and has been. The Madison Scouts were  The face of drum corps , what pure unadulterated passion and excitement we’re all about. I do  not think that the Madison Scouts running around without the Aussies So the crowd can see your cute little expressions , running around in the pink and red costumes. I want to see the Madison Scouts marching onto that field blowing that stands down with a scowl on their face saying hair I am, this is bad azz!  Why not be the leader and bring drum Corps back to what it was meant to be. And by that, I mean entertaining.  

51 minutes ago, Q of A said:

Best post in this thread. 100% exactly right.

• Like 1

Aren’t plenty of other corps doing just fine even without hints of their previous identity? Boston Crusaders look nothing like Boston, neither does SCV or Crown

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1