Madison Scouts 2018

After 126 DCP pages of opinion itemizing all the faults, failings and shortcomings of Madison 2018, it's time to move on before another 126 pages are added discussing the same but over the last two weeks of the tour.  I believe the B of D, the ED  and the CD do not need replacement.  However, it's up to the design staff and instructional staff to build a world class show.  I'm sure that, right now, the current staffs have many ideas of how "Heart And Soul" could have been better presented.  It's not the title; it's the execution.  That has to be the focus for 2019 regardless of the concept chosen. 

• Like 1

I would like to have seen Scouts use Megan from the start of the show. Perhaps as narrator? The beginning of the show is so dry. I could see playing off that same script in a tongue in cheek way at this point. Right now her entrance comes off as gimmicky to me. Like, “surprise, we have a female member”. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, everyone knows Scouts have a female member. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dieselfume said:

After 126 DCP pages of opinion itemizing all the faults, failings and shortcomings of Madison 2018, it's time to move on before another 126 pages are added discussing the same but over the last two weeks of the tour.  I believe the B of D, the ED  and the CD do not need replacement.  However, it's up to the design staff and instructional staff to build a world class

Well, I gotta ask - who is responsible for assembling the design and instructional staff?  Where does the buck stop?  With CD and ED. And if they won't do the right thing and resign, they need to be fired. And if the BOD won't do it, then they have to be replaced too. Just like Cadets, and the situation is much more dire here. 

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Well, I gotta ask - who is responsible for assembling the design and instructional staff?  Where does the buck stop?  With CD and ED. And if they won't do the right thing and resign, they need to be fired. And if the BOD won't do it, then they have to be replaced too. Just like Cadets, and the situation is much more dire here. 

You're seriously equating a poor show design to criminal behavior?  

• Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

If you’re talking about show design in that last sentence I can sort of see your point. If you’re talking about the circumstances that lead to the house cleaning at Cadets I would strongly disagree. 

On 7/22/2018 at 12:05 AM, Mad75 said:

From the look of things in the Scouts rear-view mirror, I'd say 16th place is hardly secure!...There's a few fast approaching drum corps closing at tremendous speed!

What a snowballing pathetic job by the leaderless leadership of the Scouts!  The best 80th year anniversary gift you could give to the memory, the alumni and the fans of this once great corps, would be for ALL OF YOU to resign en-mass 15 minutes after DCI Quarterfinals!  Truly a sad situation...

I vote for you, Mad75, as the next Board Chair.  What's your first play?  Who do you hire?  With the evidently rampant mismanagement of money, what resources do you use to hire said people?

You seem to have the critique; provide some solutions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

For the love of Christ, use your inside voice and resize your image inserts!

No...there’s not!

4 hours ago, Mad75 said:

At this late stage of the season, they can make all the changes they want!  But, it rarely equates to score improvement as it relates to other competitors.  Scouts are probably a lock at 16-18.

14th!

On 7/22/2018 at 11:51 AM, GUARDLING said:

There have been many great people at Madison. There are underlying issues that drive people off. This also includes people on staff or in the Admin. who have been part of the Scouts history. Find that ( some know it ) and find the answer.

By the way, Show design. uniforms, females being let in, spats or no spats, the facade of some macho image, none of this is the reason. Peel this away, get over the excuses and one might find the issues. Maybe ask those who fled. There have been 2 corps with quite the reputation among staff people. Scouts are 1 the other seems to have got their act together. I can tell you though, both were oblivious for a long time, One seems to have solved it.

Guardling: THIS is a fair sentiment.  And I sincerely appreciate you brining something substantive to this discussion.  As a fan of the Scouts, it seems that the corps is an expert at one thing: self-destructive behavior amongst its alumni.  I took a few minutes to do some background research and you're absolutely right -- there have been some incredible people on staff with the Scouts over the past decade or so.  I'd love to hear why some of these people left:

Sal Salas

Michael Cesario

Colin McNutt

Jim Prime

Robert Smith

James Mason

Jim Moore

JC Caceres

Jamey Thompson

Roger Carter

Nick Williams 

Adam Sage

Jon VanderKolff

Ramiro Barrera

Vince Oliver

Van Matthews

Clay Wachholz

Neil Adkinson

Donnie VanDoren

...the list goes on...

It seems that you are absolutely right that something is amiss that has nothing to do with all those things that the alumni seem to think it is.  WHAT THE HELL IS IT?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Volt said:

I vote for you, Mad75, as the next Board Chair.  What's your first play?  Who do you hire?  With the evidently rampant mismanagement of money, what resources do you use to hire said people?

You seem to have the critique; provide some solutions.

Chris and Dann have employment contracts. The terms of those contracts may limit the ability of anyone to make changes. Board of Directors have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the assets of the organization.  If anyone thinks that change will come quickly are sadly mistaken.