Madison Scouts 2018

16 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

If you’re talking about show design in that last sentence I can sort of see your point. If you’re talking about the circumstances that lead to the house cleaning at Cadets I would strongly disagree. 

It's obvious he's referring to the relatively poor product on-the-field "situation." 

I know a lot of those people.  Sal first got me interested in drum corps in the 70s.  Jim Moore was great with movement.  I remember him being on staff with the Cadets.  I look at some of the staff on a couple of corps who aged out of the Scouts many years ago.

27 minutes ago, Volt said:

Guardling: THIS is a fair sentiment.  And I sincerely appreciate you brining something substantive to this discussion.  As a fan of the Scouts, it seems that the corps is an expert at one thing: self-destructive behavior amongst its alumni.  I took a few minutes to do some background research and you're absolutely right -- there have been some incredible people on staff with the Scouts over the past decade or so.  I'd love to hear why some of these people left:

Sal Salas

Michael Cesario

Colin McNutt

Jim Prime

Robert Smith

James Mason

Jim Moore

JC Caceres

Jamey Thompson

Roger Carter

Nick Williams 

Adam Sage

Jon VanderKolff

Ramiro Barrera

Vince Oliver

Van Matthews

Clay Wachholz

Neil Adkinson

Donnie VanDoren

...the list goes on...

It seems that you are absolutely right that something is amiss that has nothing to do with all those things that the alumni seem to think it is.  WHAT THE HELL IS IT?

Thank you. I truly wish it wasn't even a thing to discuss. . With that said Scouts are such an iconic corps and we all suffer if they go down.

And as you said....The list goes on..there are many. Now imagine the techs, past membership mid-level staff etc etc who also followed the exit sign.  Sigh

I will say in Scouts defense a bit, a few great people also put them in a huge debt. AS far as why others left.

All I will say there are many issues ( not show or uniform) and many left for the same reasons.

Edited by GUARDLING

As a former member of Scours drumline it gripes me that Roger Carter is gone. I came up through DCI when Roger was at BD and that dude was an icon.

I was thrilled when he was hired to lead Scouts line. Now I watch videos of Coats' line, RC on the drumset, and how cool and trendy they are. 

On 7/23/2018 at 4:55 PM, dieselfume said:

After 126 DCP pages of opinion itemizing all the faults, failings and shortcomings of Madison 2018, it's time to move on before another 126 pages are added discussing the same but over the last two weeks of the tour.  I believe the B of D, the ED  and the CD do not need replacement.  However, it's up to the design staff and instructional staff to build a world class show.  I'm sure that, right now, the current staffs have many ideas of how "Heart And Soul" could have been better presented.  It's not the title; it's the execution.  That has to be the focus for 2019 regardless of the concept chosen. 

I'm guessing you've never worked for a corporation or a company and don't understand how one runs or where the responsibilities lie? Floundering companies can only replace their "support staff" so many times before all responsibility and blame comes home to nest at the leadership doorstep.  It's called bad leadership.  Some are gifted to lead, some are not.  This "management team" has been in place for around 10 years!...How many more bites at the apple is enough for you?

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Volt said:

You're seriously equating a poor show design to criminal behavior?  

You're seriously choosing to interpret my words that way?

8 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

If you’re talking about show design in that last sentence I can sort of see your point. If you’re talking about the circumstances that lead to the house cleaning at Cadets I would strongly disagree. 

I'm talking about show design, and more significantly, survival of the corps itself

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm talking about show design, and more significantly, survival of the corps itself

IMO the pursuit to imitate has caused this organization to become less confident in their own abilities to be in the forefront. With any corporation, the management rarely views themselves as part of or the problem. Usually centers around complacency. If you change nothing, nothing's going to change. It doesn't mean you open the doors and sweep everything and everyone out. The organization should find common ground and do strategic planning. Amazing what happens when you lock 12 people in a room for a few days and do strategic planning.

25 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

IMO the pursuit to imitate has caused this organization to become less confident in their own abilities to be in the forefront. With any corporation, the management rarely views themselves as part of or the problem. Usually centers around complacency. If you change nothing, nothing's going to change. It doesn't mean you open the doors and sweep everything and everyone out. The organization should find common ground and do strategic planning. Amazing what happens when you lock 12 people in a room for a few days and do strategic planning.

and you're 100% honest and admit shortcomings

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and you're 100% honest and admit shortcomings

And that's where things generally fail. Unfortunately, you usually can't change the culture of an organization without also changing the people. The Scouts management culture needs a change. In a big way.