Madison Scouts 2018

19 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The Madison Scouts once again are the destination for every red blooded American Male who wants to march in drum corps without the silly prancing, ballet & body movement.

Yeah, this type of hyper-masculine mindset isn’t going to work in 2018 or beyond. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RedJazz1900 said:

Yeah, this type of hyper-masculine mindset isn’t going to work in 2018 or beyond. 

What the heck is hyper-masculine?  Masculine males are alienated from the drum corps activity. Intolerance towards masculine males is wrong.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

I would say there is a very good chance. If Madison wants to be innovative & different, do what no one else is doing. When they zig, we zag. When they go high, we go low. OK, that didn't work out so well for HRC, but nevertheless,  the Scouts need to do something that sets them apart & is different from what every other drum corps is doing.

I would suggest the following changes:

1. Issue an announcement/press release that the Madison Scouts are returning to designing shows for the enjoyment of fans & marching members. Shows that are designed make ou stand & scream.

2. Return to traditional uniforms & have the color guard wear the same uni as the rest of the corps. Yes, including spats. 

3. Design a show that contains no prancing or body movement. None. Zero. Scouts return to the badaxx Superman suit image.

4. Design a show that contains no narration, excessive sub-woofer goo, or over amplification. 

5. Design a show that whips the crowd into a standing ovation frenzy. FFF company fronts, etc...

The Madison Scouts once again are the destination for every red blooded American Male who wants to march in drum corps without the silly prancing, ballet & body movement.

Everything old is new again.

I thought all males have red blood? 

Ha...I won't go to quite the extreme of FlamMan. I think Scouts changes are this.

Ditch the stupid show-themed costumes. Be modern but with more of something recognizable as Scouts. Put the d**n aussies back on.

Ditch whoever is designing these shows. New ideas and new thoughts on ways to be modern and competitive, but recapture that Madison Scout style that has vanished.

Design a show that isn't completely based on "getting the storyline". Let the music and visuals (marching) do the work. Scouts should never be doing a show where the crowd has to ponder the deep meaning of why or what. The show needs to be a "it just is"... i.e. Tilt, Downside Up. No deep storyline to follow and get.

Get the butts out of the seats....whatever it takes. Screamers no longer seem to do it as in the past. But find something new and inventive. Scouts should be the corps that folks blow the interwebs up talking about "did you see THAT?" Scouts need to once again be the perennial crowd favorite. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I would say there is a very good chance. If Madison wants to be innovative & different, do what no one else is doing. When they zig, we zag. When they go high, we go low. OK, that didn't work out so well for HRC, but nevertheless,  the Scouts need to do something that sets them apart & is different from what every other drum corps is doing.

1. Issue an announcement/press release that the Madison Scouts are returning to designing shows for the enjoyment of fans & marching members. Shows that are designed make ou stand & scream.

You mean like the corps who are already out there getting big crowd reactions? You might want to look at SCV this year as case in point. 

This belief that Madison was the most entertaining corps in existence is something that Scouts alums need to let go of. Even when the Scouts were normally in the 5th-8th place range, there were plenty of other corps, both higher ranked and lower ranked, who got standing o's and big responses. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, swmstom said:

Ha...I won't go to quite the extreme of FlamMan. I think Scouts changes are this.

Ditch the stupid show-themed costumes. Be modern but with more of something recognizable as Scouts. Put the d**n aussies back on.

Ditch whoever is designing these shows. New ideas and new thoughts on ways to be modern and competitive, but recapture that Madison Scout style that has vanished.

Design a show that isn't completely based on "getting the storyline". Let the music and visuals (marching) do the work. Scouts should never be doing a show where the crowd has to ponder the deep meaning of why or what. The show needs to be a "it just is"... i.e. Tilt, Downside Up. No deep storyline to follow and get.

Get the butts out of the seats....whatever it takes. Screamers no longer seem to do it as in the past. But find something new and inventive. Scouts should be the corps that folks blow the interwebs up talking about "did you see THAT?" Scouts need to once again be the perennial crowd favorite. 

Standing Os are now reserved for equipment tosses. It's a WGI activity now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlamMan said:

2. Return to traditional uniforms & have the color guard wear the same uni as the rest of the corps. Yes, including spats. 

3. Design a show that contains no prancing or body movement. None. Zero. Scouts return to the badaxx Superman suit image.

4. Design a show that contains no narration, excessive sub-woofer goo, or over amplification. 

5. Design a show that whips the crowd into a standing ovation frenzy. FFF company fronts, etc...

And the current judging system this will fix what about the placement? Your claim for the last 2 months is fire everyone to make them more competitive but this literally just is for fans and nothing that will make them competitive. Remove body? Ok now you lose GE and Visual scores so drop even lower? Put the corps in the same uniform all around? Well then you cant complain about stars who have the guard and corps in the same uniform (which several have). Company fronts dont have the same effect now that every corps in the world uses them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And the current judging system this will fix what about the placement? Your claim for the last 2 months is fire everyone to make them more competitive but this literally just is for fans and nothing that will make them competitive. Remove body? Ok now you lose GE and Visual scores so drop even lower? Put the corps in the same uniform all around? Well then you cant complain about stars who have the guard and corps in the same uniform (which several have). Company fronts dont have the same effect now that every corps in the world uses them. 

A lot of corps used company fronts back in the day too. If anything I find company fronts a little less common now than they were before. 

I was intrigued by the statement where someone said screamers don’t get people off their feet anymore. I didn’t really realize that but now that I think about it, the talent level has increased so much that screamers are commonplace and it seems like many people have become a little bit immune to it. 

It’s a new era and a different audience that gets up for different things. Madison going back to the style of the 80s again to capture “the magic” is going to accomplish nothing but have people scratching their heads 

Will the director and executive director resign after semis?  If not, will the board (which apparently is a rubber stamp for the ED) remove them?  If not, will there be vets with pitchforks and lighted torches at the gates?  These are, in my opinion, the most important questions to be answered. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FlamMan said:

OK, I get it now. This has to be a long-game parody account.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2