Madison Scouts 2018

35 minutes ago, swmstom said:

I have predicted for a while now that Troopers will pass by...possibly in Allentown. And BDB and SCVC will pass them in Indy.

Then we hold our collective breath to see if Scouts survive the offseason. Unfortunately the type of finish on the horizon coupled with the financial issues mentioned before is usually to death nail.

The Madison Scouts will survive if enough Alums step up to the plate and donate/ volunteer.

Madison Scouts will not survive if not enough Alums step up to the plate and donate/volunteer.

The Madison Scouts have one of THE largest Alum bases in all of Drum Corps. Presumably, out of the tens of thousands that have marched there in the last half a century, there has got to be a few hundred of them at the very least that are now very affluent, comfortable, and very well off financially. So if the Madison Scouts run out of money to effectively compete, then I suppose its fair to say that too many of them simply don't care enough about their former Corps anymore and are prepared to let the Madison Scouts have a nail in their coffin leading to its financial " death" . Well, if THAT occurs, its pretty easy for outsiders like us to see where the primary blame for that will lie.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Madison Scouts will survive if enough Alums step up to the plate and donate/ volunteer.

Madison Scouts will not survive if not enough Alums step up to the plate and donate/volunteer.

The Madison Scouts have one of THE largest Alum bases in all of Drum Corps. Presumably, out of the tens of thousands that have marched there in the last half a century, there has got to be a few hundred of them at the very least that are now very affluent, comfortable, and very well off financially. So if the Madison Scouts run out of money to effectively compete, then I suppose its fair to say that too many of them simply don't care enough about their former Corps anymore and are prepared to let the Madison Scouts have a nail in their coffin leading to its financial " death" . Well, if THAT occurs, its pretty easy for outsiders like us to see where the primary blame for that will lie.

Even if they’d had a 100% turnover rate every year, it wouldn’t  be that high of a number.

54 minutes ago, swmstom said:

Not how it used to be by any stretch. You could have one screamer bring the stadium down. Not so much now. Shoot, go back and watch Coats' Downside Up. That one solo scream got a huge reaction...because he winked at the camera. In ATL the screamers barely got a notice. The ridiculous note by the SCV dude got a polite applause but in years past that would've drawn a roar they could've heard in Savannah.

Exactly.

40 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Scouts make bad decisions that alienate alumni & fans. You then blame the alumni & fans for the corps demise?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Even if they’d had a 100% turnover rate every year, it wouldn’t  be that high of a number.

Maybe thats too high a number. The Corps did start in 1938, 80 years ago however. But not to quibble. I would imagine out of all the marchers still alive that marched, whether it was 80 years ago or a few years ago, I think we can all agree that there has got to be maybe a couple of hundred that are wealthy now. That would seem likely. Many of the Alums from years ago did not go into the comparatively low paying Music Ed field either. There has got to be quite a few who made good money as entrepreneurs and whatnot. I frankly see no reason for a Corps with a history as lengthy as that of the Madison Scouts to be strapped for cash if such reports are true.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Scouts make bad decisions that alienate alumni & fans. You then blame the alumni & fans for the corps demise?

I could turn your question  around however and ask you If Alums allowed their Corps to be run by many non Alums, do we blame the Non Alums  or the Alums for the... " demise " ?  How did you lose control ?  ... and.... Why did you allow it to happen ?   Look to Allentown. Pa for lessons learned there too... the hard way.

Edited by BRASSO

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I could turn your question  around however and ask you If Alums allowed their Corps to be run by non Alums, do we blame the Non Alums  or the Alums for that occurance ?  How did you lose control ?  ... and.... Why did you allow it to happen ?

CK is an alumn. I never had control. 99.9% of the other Scout alumns never had control, Nor do they bear any responsibility for the current disastrous state of this corp.  I'm not sure what point your getting at, but the current Madison regime is a complete failure & they should resign. I hope the Scouts can survive this disaster. I'm not sure they can. 

Edited by FlamMan

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The wealthy won't invest money in a dying product. Nostalgia for one's youth isn't enough for some people to donate money to a cause they no longer respect, appreciate, or doubt a viable future.

13 hours ago, Tupac said:

140 pages for the 16th ranked corps. So at least we know there is still a lot of passion for the Madison Scouts. 

Always passion for the Scouts. This thread is also full of folks who come in to poke fun and stoke the fire. 

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The current regime at Madison have been shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic for 3 years in a row now, and your solution for the alums is to buy new chairs? Time to build a new ship.