Madison Scouts 2018

2 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Probably sometime in the early 70s or earlier....i’m not wanting this to sound like a new thing, but it seems to go more and more that direction exponentially.....to the point where Chris Komnick stated that the judges told him that he must conform to a certain style of design or be forced out competitively. That is design groupthink and is so far away from anything youth focused. It’s also tragic because this activity is promoted as an artform. Last I checked, art is subjective and non-conformist by nature.....yet in DCI, you must conform to the current trends. THAT IS NOT ART!!! By the way, Zingali laughed when peole were calling his drill art. He said it’s not art, it’s drill. Anyone who calls what we do art is full of themselves.

Probably sometime in the early 70s or earlier....i’m not wanting this to sound like a new thing, but it seems to go more and more that direction exponentially.....to the point where Chris Komnick stated that the judges told him that he must conform to a certain style of design or be forced out competitively. That is design groupthink and is so far away from anything youth focused. It’s also tragic because this activity is promoted as an artform. Last I checked, art is subjective and non-conformist by nature.....yet in DCI, you must conform to the current trends. THAT IS NOT ART!!! By the way, Zingali laughed when peole were calling his drill art. He said it’s not art, it’s drill. Anyone who calls what we do art is full of themselves.

Best post in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

So when has it NOT been about what we were given by staff? I go back quite a while and as far as I can remember it has always been what we were given then how we did it.

True. Look at corps even pre-DCI. Great arrangers/instructors like Hy Dreitzer were in demand all over the country because of the music they arranged. People loved Blessed Sac's drumline because of the wonderful drum solos and parts from Bobby Thompson. Drill from Bobby Hoffman was looked up to for the innovations, such as Garfield's 71 show. Just one example of many from each part of the shows created. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeD said:

True. Look at corps even pre-DCI. Great arrangers/instructors like Hy Dreitzer were in demand all over the country because of the music they arranged. People loved Blessed Sac's drumline because of the wonderful drum solos and parts from Bobby Thompson. Drill from Bobby Hoffman was looked up to for the innovations, such as Garfield's 71 show. Just one example of many from each part of the shows created. 

Exactly, yet there are those who think this is some new concept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently the judges he spoke to must've retired.

3 hours ago, Mad75 said:

My connection on the BOD has told me that money was not an issue this year!  SO, why should alumni support horrible leadership, over, and over, and over, and over again?  What?  You truly think throwing good money at bad solves things!...In what world?  That's not how businesses with failing leadership are treated!...Why do you insist in treating drum corps differently? There's the problem...Follow the bouncing ball on how things operate!

If money is not an issue, what makes anyone think the alumni have any leverage whatsoever over the current administration?

Mike

4 hours ago, Nine White Russians said:

Sad that the activity has become an elite professional career for staff instead of an activity that serves youth. I know it's been that way for quite awhile.

It’s also sad the activity has morphed into something typically only upper middle class and up kids can afford (at least at the elite levels) instead of serving * the youth at large * as it did back when dinosaurs roamed the earth in their futile attempt to dodge meteors of apocalyptic magnitude. 

Edited by TRacer
Autocorrect
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, TRacer said:

It’s also sad the activity has morphed into something typically only upper middle class and up kids can afford (at least at the elite levels) instead of serving * the youth at large * as it did back when dinosaurs roamed the earth in their futile attempt to dodge meteors of apocalyptic magnitude. 

different world..it's that simple. there are many local programs and winter programs but still very costly. 

• Like 1

I don’t want to be “that guy” but I just got a text...SCVC now only 2.4 points back of MS after tonight; 0.7 behind Troop...VC pulled down a 31.4 in GE. 

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

If money is not an issue, what makes anyone think the alumni have any leverage whatsoever over the current administration?

Mike

I never said that the need for money was no longer a problem as it pertains to the Scouts...The lack of funding for the Scouts has been a HUGE problem for decades.  What this BOD member pointed out was that the lack of money couldn't be used as an excuse this year for having a "down year", because in his words there was adequate funding for this season.

23 hours ago, swmstom said:

Not how it used to be by any stretch. You could have one screamer bring the stadium down. Not so much now. Shoot, go back and watch Coats' Downside Up. That one solo scream got a huge reaction...because he winked at the camera. In ATL the screamers barely got a notice. The ridiculous note by the SCV dude got a polite applause but in years past that would've drawn a roar they could've heard in Savannah.

polite? was a hell of a lot louder watching it

• Like 1