Madison Scouts 2018

9 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Is this the same design team that gave us 2017? 

I appreciated that show for it’s radical departure from the past and thought it set Madison up for a good ‘18 season. What a disappointment. 

I think it is the same team for the most part.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

We’ve lost many important corps, not sure one is more significant than the others- however losing Scouts would be significant obviously 

that said - the discussion in the thread about opening the corps up to coed to solve the competitive issues are very misguided imo. Design and instruction are the issues, focus there. A decision the go or not go coed should be based on a desire to change the organization and allow it to service female as well as male members, not as a response to a perceived “crisis”

i would personally prefer they return to what made the organization unique in the past - and a real draw for prospective members. In your face loud and aggressive jazz programming with a fan friendly approach. Honestly that’s missing in today’s drum corps offerings 

lets go back the great big sound and the big clean company fronts and terrific jazz soloists. They need a draw, a unique quality. I feel they lost what made them special under their prior “dream team” staff and now they are just struggling for competitive success vs being “the Scouts!”

The only problem with that is I am sure that because of today’s modern DCI the judges would kill them for that type of show. This is what most people don’t understand. 

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Q of A said:

The season is over. not a good show, not a good concept. Thanks to Taras for bringing in his trophy for his little singing group. Ill conceived at the expense of the Madison Scouts and their brand.  The staff so full of themselves that they are sooo creative. Well Chad, you are not. The other staff that are supposed to be MEN of Madison enabled this fiasco come to life. The administration for letting this folly see the light of day shows that these guys need to bow out. Drum corps is clearly over their head. This is the MADISON SCOUTS !

How many amazing Scout alumni are teaching and running drum corps today at the highest levels?  Why are they not working with Madison? Most of these members will prob go to other corps next year, Brotherhood you say? You don't get better by replacing 75% of your members. Its the returning members that make a corps strong. What is peterson and komneck saying to persuade the members to comeback to Madison. Next year to gain continuity? 

On that note, are those two and the board of cronies returning as well? if so, it will be more of the same. But yet people blindly say its ok! we are trying, We are to change this, tweak that??? Those people have been singing that song all year. And chastising anyone who disagreed with any of it. well, It did not happen. It wont happen with this group. Complacency is a warm fuzzy sweater only non achievers and non competitors wear in a competitive activity. Out of the top 12 you are an afterthought, 16th, not even relevant in the drum corps world. 

Not sure I want to reply to any of this specifically.  I will just say that if the Madison Scouts were in title contention, it would be interesting to see how much more tolerant you all would be regarding costuming, female performers, "the haaaaaaaat", staff/admin personalities, and whatever other complaints are lodged here.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Im not sure about other sections, but I think it is a safe bet to say that no MM in the guard will be returning.    100% turnover.  

Thats a massive problem.   

Historically thats a major reason why the other all-male corps went co-ed in the past (problems recruiting in the guard). If Scouts alums want to keep the corps all-male, they'll have to step on the gas when it comes to recruiting guys who want to play flag and hope that the administration gets the members a better quality staff. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

I honestly think this year’s show concept was a good modern idea. Now, design wise it could have been better sure. So many people said the show was a beautiful show. Maybe they could build on something dealing more with love and unity in a modern way in the future.

11 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

I honestly think this year’s show concept was a good modern idea. Now, design wise it could have been better sure. So many people said the show was a beautiful show. Maybe they could build on something dealing more with love and unity in a modern way in the future.

For one thing the "costumes" or uniforms really are just not Madison Scouts. They look like a Disneyland High School musical group. I really think you can be update but have your look and know that this is the Madison Scouts. When I first saw them unless they were announced they were MS I would have never known that.

• Like 1

I can understand your point. However I understand why they chose to go down that road with the theme of their show.

Also I hope that Meghan decides to return next year with her wonderful talent.

58 minutes ago, Madcityscout said:

The only problem with that is I am sure that because of today’s modern DCI the judges would kill them for that type of show. This is what most people don’t understand. 

You can modernize the style/approach to a modern sensibility without throwing out the baby with the bath water. 

1 hour ago, Madcityscout said:

I didn't observe the DCI judges killing Bluecoats in 2016 for exactly that type of show. 

• Like 2