Madison Scouts 2018

Long time Scouts fan (since the late 70s). I hope they have their best run on Thursday and then start work on improving for 2019. A Finals with Scouts is better than a finals without Scouts IMHO.

A few things come to mind when reading this thread...

I dont understand the anger. I can see being disappointed that the corps you marched in or one of your favorite corps isn't doing well, but the anger, I don't understand. 

Let's be honest, most corps uniforms and props are over the top and look kind of silly. Some people mock SCVs baggy pants, but nobody cares because the design and performance is so good. A corps can wear whatever they want as long as they rip my face off, make me throw babies, and bring a tear to my eye. 

The demands that everyone be fired: be careful what you ask for. At my college Alma mater, decent (not good, not bad) head coaches have been fired only for the althetic director to learn that they couldn't find a more competent coach that wanted the job. Our school, once a coaching destination, was no longer a destination. The result: we hired less competent football and basketball coaches that delivered worse results. All I'm saying is: don't assume more qualified people will jump into these positions. Not saying they shouldn't look for improving the staff, just a word of caution. 

Good luck to the Scouts going forward. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, billj said:

I dont understand the anger. I can see being disappointed that the corps you marched in or one of your favorite corps isn't doing well, but the anger, I don't understand. 

Because the BOD is there to ensure the health of the corps - financial, recruiting, competitive results, etc....yet they don't seem to be doing anything. At least based on what I've heard from alumni.

Because the design staff's choices are completely failing and absurd. I mean really, no one, not one person took a look at the design of that prop and said, "Ah, I'm not so sure." I know I would have said, "WTF? This is what you came up with? Go back to the drawing board." No one said that narration is ridiculous. I mean I'm not a designer and even I know what a failure that is on both fronts. 

With the way alums post on here, it seems like they want Madison to continue to fail until the current regime is out, which I find kind of sad. 

There's no reason to be so down on the 2019 Madison scouts before this season has even finished and off-season changes/planning have begun 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

With the way alums post on here, it seems like they want Madison to continue to fail until the current regime is out, which I find kind of sad. 

There's no reason to be so down on the 2019 Madison scouts before this season has even finished and off-season changes/planning have begun 

Remember "Baghdad Bob"?  When I read your post it made me think of him and it made me chuckle. No disrespect intended to you at all. It's just, given the present regime's established record of failure, I don't know how one could be optimistic about the future.....unless it involves a change out of the leadership team. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Plankton said:

Later than they will be next year.

Ouch

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

you would be correct.  there's a split of those who see the corps being cared for and transported better than they ever have been and seen the numbers of the budgets and said... "while the placement isn't what we hope for, the corps itself is doing well, and they'll figure out something different for next season, so take my money and put it to continuing to operate and care for the guys" and the others who say "this isn't what we want, we won't support the corps until it becomes a winner again".   While i'm not an arts organizational genius, I do know that starving a group isn't the way to help it succeed.  keep in mind, the board is for generating revenue.  competitive success is dependent on show design and coordination. two very different parts of the organization. and different people responsible for each.

Edited by C.Holland
forgot sentences.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

you would be correct.  there's a split of those who see the corps being cared for and transported better than they ever have been and seen the numbers of the budgets and said... "while the placement isn't what we hope for, the corps itself is doing well, and they'll figure out something different for next season, so take my money and put it to continuing to operate and care for the guys" and the others who say "this isn't what we want, we won't support the corps until it becomes a winner again".   While i'm not an arts organizational genius, I do know that starving a group isn't the way to help it succeed.  keep in mind, the board is for generating revenue.  competitive success is dependent on show design and coordination. two very different parts of the organization. and different people responsible for each.

The worst placement in 50 years. FIFTY. YEARS.

27 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Schadenfreude. 

2 minutes ago, Plankton said:

The worst placement in 50 years. FIFTY. YEARS.

And them not on the theater feed....kinda surreal. I remember when they use to come out west. No matter where they placed score wise they were like rock stars. They are or use to be the main attraction. 

23 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

This post is like a breath of fresh air. Thanks. 

• Like 2