Madison Scouts 2018

24 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

With the way alums post on here, it seems like they want Madison to continue to fail until the current regime is out, which I find kind of sad. 

There's no reason to be so down on the 2019 Madison scouts before this season has even finished and off-season changes/planning have begun 

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to include one other point in my post. There seem to be only a few negatively vocal alumni groups and Scouts' is one. Ranting here, while possibly therapeutic, isnt going to accomplish much. The horse was probably dead back in June on this front, maybe after the Scouts first competition?

As I clearly don't understand many things, I don't understand how some alumni groups feel like they should be involved in so many decisions (staff, theme, uniforms, props, music, etc.). I would think most alumns are no more qualified that your average fan. 

And by the way, talk of going back to the Scouts traditions/roots isn't directionally correct. Just ask SCV and Bluecoats. They reinvented themselves to make it to the top.  I will say, though: common denominator across Devils, Bluecoats and SCV: jazz with screamers. Interesting

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

you would be correct.  there's a split of those who see the corps being cared for and transported better than they ever have been and seen the numbers of the budgets and said... "while the placement isn't what we hope for, the corps itself is doing well, and they'll figure out something different for next season, so take my money and put it to continuing to operate and care for the guys" and the others who say "this isn't what we want, we won't support the corps until it becomes a winner again".   While i'm not an arts organizational genius, I do know that starving a group isn't the way to help it succeed.  keep in mind, the board is for generating revenue.  competitive success is dependent on show design and coordination. two very different parts of the organization. and different people responsible for each.

Wait, this isn't a split of opinions, these are two very different narratives. Which is closer to being true regarding the treatment of the MMs?

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

With the way alums post on here, it seems like they want Madison to continue to fail until the current regime is out, which I find kind of sad. 

There's no reason to be so down on the 2019 Madison scouts before this season has even finished and off-season changes/planning have begun 

Their season is over. They merely have two performances remaining that virtually no one will see. 

Edited by Gantang
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Schadenfreude. 

Reminds me of children honestly. Unfortunate. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, billj said:

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to include one other point in my post. There seem to be only a few negatively vocal alumni groups and Scouts' is one.

I've noticed this too

19 minutes ago, billj said:

As I clearly don't understand many things, I don't understand how some alumni groups feel like they should be involved in so many decisions (staff, theme, uniforms, props, music, etc.). I would think most alumns are no more qualified that your average fan. 

It's weird, isn't it? I can rarely claim absolute positions on issues about which I'm deeply, expertly knowledgeable. But on social media, some folks I think really get off on forceful assertions of their opinions as though no other perspective could be correct. Or even considered. Experiencing this is part of the cost of being on DCP.

Alumni can be marvelous and supportive for organizations (even when change is needed). They can also be anchors holding organizations back. Or worse, crushing. It isn't always naturally good when alumni (or similarly-related stakeholders) have great weight and influence at the board level. A lot of the time it is, just not always. 

I suspect many Madison alumni and fans are simply really frustrated, lack the kind of detailed information to provide sufficient context for good critical thinking, and express all of this in ways ranging from good to poor. I mean, and again, this is a social media forum. Jeez.

41 minutes ago, billj said:

Wait, this isn't a split of opinions, these are two very different narratives. Which is closer to being true regarding the treatment of the MMs?

I won’t go into everything online, because the inter webs is forever.

But The MMs eat better and healthier  than I ever did. And transportation, housing, and equipment are better than we had. As humans they are treated really well. That is something the leadership stresses across the organization. And I donate and will continue to do so to help the corps I marched continue operating. 

Some very vocal ones state they’ll donate nothing (see also starving the organization)  until they see a full revamp. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So now it's the alumni's fault. Right. Deflect away, it's a fun read. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yep. Blame Alumni for your complete mismanagement!

Edited by Nine White Russians
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1