Madison Scouts 2018

I don't understand why Madison's current situation is being compared to the Cadets at all. I really don't think there would've been as much turnover at the Cadets without the scandal that occurred. 

From what I hear from current members/recent members and other people on DCP, they are being treated well. 

• Like 1

I made a contribution a few days ago and that evening I saw a clip on Madison's FaceBook page of the MMs going to the home of an elderly lady who couldn't go to the show (Rome NY) and they sang YNWA to her.  If nothing else from this year - the joy they brought to Miss Jean should be a great memory for the MMs.  It also reminded me why I think the Scouts and many other corps are so great and it made me happy that I did do the donation. The experience is more than what is on the field.

But what is on the field is likely what draws future members.  I have no idea if the ED, designer, etc. have acknowledged to the MMs that they were given a sub-par program this year.  If they haven't - they should.  My concern is that this year's program will have a significant, negative impact on MMs who will consider going to Madison for 2019.  How many will want to risk a repeat of 2018 (sub-par show, costumes that don't look like they belong to a world class corps).  After this year's costume I think the alumni may be OK with anything that is green and white.

If the existing management will stay in place for 2019 I really believe the board should require that they come out with a very early announcement of a show that has the Madison Mystique to attract future members and smooth things over with the alumni.  Playing coy and holding back the announcement may result in potential members choosing to go to other corps.

We don't need to hear the oldies again (but I wouldn't object) - there is plenty of material that needs the Madison treatment.  I know I asked for a Rat Pack program earlier, but every time the Michael Buble disc comes on my iPhone at work I always think I would love to hear Madison do these songs.  Silly as it may sound - the one that I think of Madison most is "Kissing a Fool" - but thought it needed a female to make it work - so please have Megan back next year if it helps (but don't go full out co-ed). 

I'm not an alumni - just a huge fan.  I want to see the Men of Madison around for a long time. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jonwoody said:

I am here because I have heard so many negative thing about this place and I had to come read for myself. To all you people who think they know more than the kids and management should find something else to do and not come here simply to post negative things about the Scouts. These kids bust their butts to make the best of what they are given and you arrogant  no nothings who couldn't design a show if your life depended on it should take a hike. Support them, love them, appreciate what they have gone through and help them. I'm sure all you negative ***holes don't have kids or family marching this season and if you did you are bigger fools than we expected. You should be ashamed pointing fingers at one another. Maybe if you supported the Scouts like the Cadets were supported things would be better. But your anger and arrogance is more important to you. You should be ashamed of treating this organization this way.

Your assertion that people are attacking the members is inaccurate and doesn't need to be addressed. Moving on. Using your logic, no one should be able to critique the performance of anyone in any position lest the critiquer is willing to assume the role. We vote out bad politicians who have volunteered for the job.  The current BOD and leadership in Madison volunteered for the job when they applied for a role within the organization. They put themselves in charge of an 80-year-old youth group that has thousands of former members who expect a certain level of excellence across the entire MS spectrum.

Just because someone is saying the show design is poor doesn't imply that they think they could do a better job. However, it is incumbent upon the leadership to hire the best designers available and either oversee the design process or trust that the person or people they hired will put a competitive product before the members. There are people who believe, perhaps incorrectly, that the philosophy of "scores don't matter" has been put on steroids as a way to justify being closer in scores to the Pioneer than SCV. 

Just as sports' fans call for coaches to be fired, drum corps fans also have a particular passion about the way the corps they love or marched with, is run. This IS the forum for such talk. It's what social media is for. If everyone only posting positive and glowing tripe it would be disingenuous and useless. Some of the posters here are from a generation where they were taught to tell the truth, not something that sounds like the truth. If the Madison management team is spending time reading this they can take it or leave it.

It's my understanding from earlier Pages in this thread that a FB Alumni Page was archived in part because current leadership didn't like some of the content. Well, MS leadership can't shut DCP Pages down, and those who would have kept their thoughts in the family were kinda forced to shut up or post here.

If YOU  OR I don't like what is being posted, we can simply stop reading. Don't scold the messengers, they are exercising a right and opinion.

Edited by Gantang
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Gantang said:

Your assertion that people are attacking the members is inaccurate and doesn't need to be addressed. Moving on. Using your logic, no one should be able to critique the performance of anyone in any position lest the critiquer is willing to assume the role. We vote out bad politicians who have volunteered for the job.  The current BOD and leadership in Madison volunteered for the job when they applied for a role within the organization. They put themselves in charge of an 80-year-old youth group that has thousands of former members who expect a certain level of excellence across the entire MS spectrum.

Just because someone is saying the show design is poor doesn't imply that they think they could do a better job. However, it is incumbent upon the leadership to hire the best designers available and either oversee the design process or trust that the person or people they hired will put a competitive product before the members. There are people who believe, perhaps incorrectly, that the philosophy of "scores don't matter" has been put on steroids as a way to justify being closer in scores to the Pioneer than SCV. 

Just as sports' fans call for coaches to be fired, drum corps fans also have a particular passion about the way the corps they love or marched with, is run. This IS the forum for such talk. It's what social media is for. If everyone only posting positive and glowing tripe it would be disingenuous and useless. Some of the posters here are from a generation where they were taught to tell the truth, not something that sounds like the truth. If the Madison management team is spending time riding this they can take it or leave it.

It's my understanding from earlier Pages in this thread that a FB Alumni Page was archived in part because current leadership didn't like some of the content. Well, MS leadership can't shut DCP Pages down, and those who would have kept their thoughts in the family were kinda forced to shut up or post here.

If YOU  OR I don't like what is being posted, we can simply stop reading. Don't scold the messengers, they are exercising a right and opinion.

Wow, the level of negativity and arrogance of some of the Madison alumni is just ridiculous...

I hope all the members and staff of Madison have an incredible final week and that this negativity stays away from them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I don't understand why Madison's current situation is being compared to the Cadets at all. I really don't think there would've been as much turnover at the Cadets without the scandal that occurred. 

From what I hear from current members/recent members and other people on DCP, they are being treated well. 

How many Cadets shows did you love since 2011?? Cadet turnover was a yearly event between Techs, color guard, Horns, percussion, marching due to him. For over a decade there was turnover and hence  the shows got worse and worse due to his interference . He chased the alum away along with donations. Madison needs to rebuild with more talent and patience. They need to clean house. Madison's kids are being treated well. It's the adults that are acting like children.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, C.Holland said:

you would be correct.  there's a split of those who see the corps being cared for and transported better than they ever have been and seen the numbers of the budgets and said... "while the placement isn't what we hope for, the corps itself is doing well, and they'll figure out something different for next season, so take my money and put it to continuing to operate and care for the guys" and the others who say "this isn't what we want, we won't support the corps until it becomes a winner again".   While i'm not an arts organizational genius, I do know that starving a group isn't the way to help it succeed.  keep in mind, the board is for generating revenue.  competitive success is dependent on show design and coordination. two very different parts of the organization. and different people responsible for each.

Woa, hang on here...by "starving" are you saying that the corps members aren't being fed regularly???

1 hour ago, Gantang said:

Just as sports' fans call for coaches to be fired, drum corps fans also have a particular passion about the way the corps they love or marched with, is run. This IS the forum for such talk. It's what social media is for. If everyone only posting positive and glowing tripe it would be disingenuous and useless. Some of the posters here are from a generation where they were taught to tell the truth, not something that sounds like the truth. If the Madison management team is spending time riding this they can take it or leave it.

Great post.

57 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Wow, the level of negativity and arrogance of some of the Madison alumni is just ridiculous...

I hope all the members and staff of Madison have an incredible final week and that this negativity stays away from them. 

Your first sentence doesn't apply to me. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Woa, hang on here...by "starving" are you saying that the corps members aren't being fed regularly???

Yes! That’s exactly what he means. The member’s rations have been cut beyond even a subsistence level. It’s a travesty! I’ve heard of but can’t confirm the Donner Party allegations. 

Edited by Brian Tuma
  • Haha 1