Madison Scouts 2018

22 minutes ago, Gantang said:

That brings up a question that I was wondering about. On the "sheets", did the Scouts max out performance numbers while being dumped in content? I must admit that I'm not up to speed with the way scores are accumulated, but if what people are saying is true, it seems the performance numbers would be high while the product itself would be low since the MMs were given a poor show to perfect. Does this make sense??? Or is it like in diving where you can perform a really simple dive flawlessly but you're not given a high mark because the dive was not challenging, whereas a harder dive performed with minor flaws can yield a higher score than a perfect low technical dive?

This. It is possible for a group to "outperform" their show, resulting in a higher number in the "how" subcaption than the "what", but there's a limit to how large that gap can be. You won't see a box 4 what with a box 5 how.

36 minutes ago, jpaul said:

This. It is possible for a group to "outperform" their show, resulting in a higher number in the "how" subcaption than the "what", but there's a limit to how large that gap can be. You won't see a box 4 what with a box 5 how.

Did Madison max out the "How" boxes? That seems to be the sentiment from some, which is that the MMs perfected the "What" which was never going to earn the highest numbers. If that's true, then there can be no negative critique of the MMs and everything falls on the design team, but if the "How" numbers lagged than the MMs either were not talented enough to pull off a good show OR the techs instructing the MMs didn't know how to clean the "what". People seem to be oversimplifying the issues surrounding the historic poor scoring and placement.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well their alumni are angry and I completely understand why. Hopefully the members won’t be thinking that because they had nothing to do with it. They did the best they could with the poor product they were given. That’s the staffs fault, not theirs. They performed and gave it their all every night. They should be proud of that. 

The corps is the staff, admin and the members all rolled together. You really think the members will separate the complaints out as you describe? They are living and breathing their show all season long. IMO the "its all about the staff not the members" stuff is complainers trying to make themselves feel better. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Gantang said:

Did Madison max out the "How" boxes? That seems to be the sentiment from some, which is that the MMs perfected the "What" which was never going to earn the highest numbers. If that's true, then there can be no negative critique of the MMs and everything falls on the design team, but if the "How" numbers lagged than the MMs either were not talented enough to pull off a good show OR the techs instructing the MMs didn't know how to clean the "what". People seem to be oversimplifying the issues surrounding the historic poor scoring and placement.

I have no specific knowledge about the Scouts. I was speaking about judging in general.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

The corps is the staff, admin and the members all rolled together. You really think the members will separate the complaints out as you describe? They are living and breathing their show all season long. IMO the "its all about the staff not the members" stuff is complainers trying to make themselves feel better. 

Of course I don't. But that is life. It's not always sweet and easy. I can tell you if I were a member, I certainly wouldn't come here and read this thread. I wouldn't even go there to start.

I was saying it was for me about the staff and administration, not the members. I'm not saying that to make myself feel better. I don't need to feel better. I'm saying it because it is true - the members had no imput into what was on the field. That's a fact. I would say everything I have said on here to a members face. At the same time, I would say I'm sorry I hurt their feelings, but I feel people need to speak up. Especially now. I will absolutely stand by my viewpoint that the BOD and staff of the Madison Scouts are a complete failure. They've taken a corps that placed 8th in 2015 to 16th in 2018, mostly at the hand of really bad design decisions. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, acceptable about that. If I, or you, performed like that at our jobs, we'd be axed. Why are they getting a pass? If this drop had nothing to do with design, then there would really be nothing for me to say - I would view that as a successful BOD and staff, with other issues at hand (which I'm sure there may be some), but design is largely responsible for this decline.

I've said all season they had some good music and drill in there, and the uniforms read well from the stands, but the fact that that prop made on the field tells you everything you need to know. That prop, the narration, and large sections of that show were just unsuccesful from a design standpoint, and the show from a competitive standpoint. There is no way around that. There's nothing ok about this.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, Gantang said:

Where do you think Meghan will march next year?

If she didn't age out, she'll march with the Madison Scouts I'm sure.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, BlueStainGlass said:

I challenge you. 

Oh you poor child, you don't know what you are getting yourself into... :laughing:

On 8/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, Gantang said:

A cursory glance at the semis recaps reveals:

The Scouts achieved higher than their content/composition/repertoire in GE1, GE3, GE4, and color guard.

Just a quick post to say how much I enjoyed the Scouts show this year.  It was pure pleasure to listen to and watch.

I LOVED the soloist and her interactions with the rest of the band.  The colorguard was phenomenal.  Wow!!

Sorry the rest of ya’ll are unhappy but many people really enjoyed the show....

Edited by Sasha1
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, MikeD said:

I don't think so MikeD. You are implying ( but maybe not your intent ) that " the staff, admin, and the members " are all rolled into one regarding this season's historic low placement. The marchers collectively may not have been as talented as in previous seasons.. who knows. In any event, it is primarily the staffs responsibility here to recruit, train, motivate, instruct, and design Top 12 shows. Something which has always been this Iconic DCI Corps calling. They are paid to do so. The marchers pay to be taught well, and to be given a show design that gives them a chance to succeed in the Top 12.  The LAST people to share in this historic low placement for the Madison Scouts here in 2018 are the marchers. I don't believe you meant to imply otherwise. But your words seemed to imply they all " rolled together " in this low placement. No, I don't think so. The marchers at the Scouts " rolled " with what they were given by the staff. The placement analysis for this season's historic low placement starts and ends with the adults here, MikeD. The adults ( staff/ Mgt ) roll alone with this.... not the marchers in the 2018 Madison Scouts, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I don't think so MikeD. You are implying ( but maybe not your intent ) that " the staff, admin, and the members " are all rolled into one regarding this season's historic low placement. The marchers collectively may not have been as talented as in previous seasons.. who knows. In any event, it is primarily the staffs responsibility here to recruit, train, motivate, instruct, and design Top 12 shows. Something which has always been this Iconic DCI Corps calling. They are paid to do so. The marchers pay to be taught well, and to be given a show design that gives them a chance to succeed in the Top 12.  The LAST people to share in this historic low placement for the Madison Scouts here in 2018 are the marchers. I don't believe you meant to imply otherwise. But your words seemed to imply they all " rolled together " in this low placement. No, I don't think so. The marchers at the Scouts " rolled " with what they were given by the staff. The placement analysis for this season's historic low placement starts and ends with the adults here, MikeD. The adults ( staff/ Mgt ) roll alone with this.... not the marchers in the 2018 Madison Scouts, imo

Every corps consists of all three elements is what I meant, not just the Scouts. The members, staff and admins are a team who travel together throughout the season, experiencing highs and lows and everywhere in between. You completely twisted what I said. The horrific posts in this thread by people who should know better are what I am talking about. To expect the members to separate out the comments is, IMO, ludicrous, and is just these people trying to make themselves feel better about making such terrible posts. You know what I meant, and I have no idea why you are attempting to twist this into something I did not remotely imply.

• Like 2