Madison Scouts 2018

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

A lot of this dissent within the Scouts started in 2002.  There have been so many changes in 16 years.  

Yup.  I feel like the older generations of alumni cannot accept the loss of Scott Stewart's leadership, and cling to every whim of his legacy in a way that is destroying the corps from the inside out.

Sure, I get that the Sal years were not the best financially.  But he was not handed the best vehicle to drive, and ended up creating a massive deficit trying to fix it.  I think he managed to do some great things in restoring the competitive identity and brand, but that financial woes became too much for the board.

With 2007 being my first season, I definitely feel like the constant uncertainty since 2002 is partially the fault of those who took over in 2007 rather than 2002-2006.  Those who took over in 2007 may not have been as cut out for the job as some think, and their attachment to the Stewart years is just too much to bear.  I am glad they were willing to step up to the plate, but I think none of them have any idea of how to be successful.  When is the last time Madison won?  None of them were apart of that, although some helped set that up and others came after.  I am not trying to say that winning is everything, but I am trying to say that I think having an understanding or memory/experience of success is crucial to implementing success.

1 hour ago, madisonsmiley said:

Could it be there is a lot of dissent among the Scouts' alumni because of their performance? It's an effect, not a cause. If they were winning, were better managed and not running their finances down the tubes, I doubt you would see the dissent. 

I would separate performance from placement.  Scouts could have great performance and still not place high and that would be fine.  I would hate for them to place high with some of the junk they have put on the field recently.

27 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Were are you getting that there's a lot of dissent? I have a couple friends who marched there and they said there is no dissent, at least based on the posts on the Facebook alumni page.

When did your friends march? 2009 was nothing but arguments from the beginning of winter camps through finals week.  It was awful, and it was 100% the administrations fault for trying to force ridiculous changes on membership which is why they faced a lot of dissent and push back.

For example, in 2007 when the corps stopped at rest stops we could get off the busses and use restrooms, walk around and stretch, or purchase items.  In 2008 this policy became more restrictive until in 2009 we were not allowed off busses at fuel stops, only scheduled rest stops and we were not allowed to purchase goods.  That is ridiculous.  I gave money to bus drivers and staff members to buy me and other members foodstuffs to supplement our lack of corps provided food all the time to circumvent that rule.   The administration stated this was a timing issue, i.e., people took to long, but there is no way I buy that excuse as true.  In every other organization from tiny division III corps to Blue Devils I was never treated like a child and told I could not exit a bus at a stop to either: stretch/stand/walk, use the bathroom, or purchase an item for myself.

Obviously the bus policy could be different today, but it is an example of how ridiculous the current administration is and can be.  Dann also showed us some video about having "a thinking chair" where one could go and sit every day to think and reflect about things.  Really, on tour you expect us to have a thinking chair but I cannot get off the bus?  GTFO.

• Like 4

Was the “thinking chair” also the toilet block? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

Yup.  I feel like the older generations of alumni cannot accept the loss of Scott Stewart's leadership, and cling to every whim of his legacy in a way that is destroying the corps from the inside out.

Sure, I get that the Sal years were not the best financially.  But he was not handed the best vehicle to drive, and ended up creating a massive deficit trying to fix it.  I think he managed to do some great things in restoring the competitive identity and brand, but that financial woes became too much for the board.

With 2007 being my first season, I definitely feel like the constant uncertainty since 2002 is partially the fault of those who took over in 2007 rather than 2002-2006.  Those who took over in 2007 may not have been as cut out for the job as some think, and their attachment to the Stewart years is just too much to bear.  I am glad they were willing to step up to the plate, but I think none of them have any idea of how to be successful.  When is the last time Madison won?  None of them were apart of that, although some helped set that up and others came after.  I am not trying to say that winning is everything, but I am trying to say that I think having an understanding or memory/experience of success is crucial to implementing success.

You marched with my son in ‘07.  He was in Cap Sound during that infighting in ‘02.  Every single day, emails or snail mail from one side or the other.  It was a disturbing time.  

I hope the alumni from all eras can come together in support of the current corps.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ndkbass said:

When did your friends march? 2009 was nothing but arguments from the beginning of winter camps through finals week.  It was awful, and it was 100% the administrations fault for trying to force ridiculous changes on membership which is why they faced a lot of dissent and push back.

For example, in 2007 when the corps stopped at rest stops we could get off the busses and use restrooms, walk around and stretch, or purchase items.  In 2008 this policy became more restrictive until in 2009 we were not allowed off busses at fuel stops, only scheduled rest stops and we were not allowed to purchase goods.  That is ridiculous.  I gave money to bus drivers and staff members to buy me and other members foodstuffs to supplement our lack of corps provided food all the time to circumvent that rule.   The administration stated this was a timing issue, i.e., people took to long, but there is no way I buy that excuse as true.  In every other organization from tiny division III corps to Blue Devils I was never treated like a child and told I could not exit a bus at a stop to either: stretch/stand/walk, use the bathroom, or purchase an item for myself.

Obviously the bus policy could be different today, but it is an example of how ridiculous the current administration is and can be.  Dann also showed us some video about having "a thinking chair" where one could go and sit every day to think and reflect about things.  Really, on tour you expect us to have a thinking chair but I cannot get off the bus?  GTFO.

Way before you, HA. I am sorry if I misread a previous post. I thought people were saying there's a lot of dissent amongst the alumni now. I texted one of my friends and he said, no.

That's a bummer about the buses in 2009 and I can certainly understand your frustration. Isn't that adminstration long gone? I don't know what the membership was like in 07-09 Scouts vs '10 Blue Devils, but I imagine it's hard to rangle up 150 members. I mean on tour groups while travelling someone always isn't back at the bus when they are supposed to be. I guess it all comes down to professionalism. Perhaps they had issues in 07 and 08 getting people to get back on the buses at stops? Not defending any position here, just trying to think on both sides. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

A lot of this dissent within the Scouts started in 2002.  There have been so many changes in 16 years.  

I went to DCI East in 2002 in Philly. Sat next to a few Crossmen alums from the early 80's. When the Scouts took the field, we looked at each other and were like "What happened to the Scouts????" We were shocked at how bad they were, On the other hand, just three years later they did my all time favorite Scout show in 2005, the Carmen show.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I went to DCI East in 2002 in Philly. Sat next to a few Crossmen alums from the early 80's. When the Scouts took the field, we looked at each other and were like "What happened to the Scouts????" We were shocked at how bad they were, On the other hand, just three years later they did my all time favorite Scout show in 2005, the Carmen show.

It’s been a rollercoaster.   Lots of personnel and administrative changes.  2007 was really tough.  A total rewrite of the visual show.  If they’d started with that show,  I believe they would have made finals.  But you know..woulda, coulda, shoulda...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MikeD said:

2005...my favorite too!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ndkbass said:

Wow. It saddens me to hear this. When I marched Scouts in the early 1980's, we were given more leeway than any other drum corp gave to their members. Scott told us that he would treat us like responsible adults, just don't be an idiot and do anything stupid.

• Like 1