Madison Scouts 2018

I really think that with the correct changes / re-writes in the beginning third of the show the Scouts can solidify a spot in the Top 15.  I realize this isn't the Top 12, but it would be much better making the Live Feed on Thursday night than not.

• Like 1

I watched their show at Minnesota on YouTube last night and they need to really ramp things up if they are going to make Top 15. The soloist really doesn't add anything to the show. Sorry, but not sorry.

3 minutes ago, Mega said:

I watched their show at Minnesota on YouTube last night and they need to really ramp things up if they are going to make Top 15. The soloist really doesn't add anything to the show. Sorry, but not sorry.

2 minutes ago, Shempy said:

Saw Scouts for the first time live last night. The first half of the show is pretty bland, only once the soloist shows up does it actually get off the ground in my opinion.

DCP in a nutshell :lle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Mega said:

. The soloist really doesn't add anything to the show. Sorry, but not sorry.

She is the furthest person responsible though for why the Madison Scouts currently find themselves where they currently are. She is an outstanding musician, plays her solo exceedingly well in the show. This is her 1st year marching in DCI, and I hope she returns again, if age eligible. I enjoy listening and watching her perform her brass solos in this season's Madison's Scouts production, a show she did not personally design.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

She is the furthest person responsible though for why the Madison Scouts currently find themselves where they currently are. She is an outstanding musician, plays her solo exceedingly well in the show. This is her 1st year marching in DCI, and I hope she returns again, if age eligible. I enjoy listening and watching her perform her brass solos in this season's Madison's Scouts production, a show she did not personally design.

They've sharpened up her role in the show a bit more, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Oh I agree. I would blame the designer on that one. She's performing what she's been told to do so there's no fault on her.

• Like 1

"Forgetting it's Madison" is precisely why so many are furious right now. That should NEVER be the case. To throw out everything that is Madison Scouts, to totally lose your identity for the sake of conforming to the activity makes me sick. There is no reason Scouts couldn't maintain their identity and still be modern, exciting AND competitive. Instead the admin has gone to the complete opposite end of the tradition spectrum...and it may kill this corps. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mad75 said:

DING, DING, DING, GIVE THE MAN A CIGAR...  Here in lies the heart of the matter that so many on this thread fail to realize or understand!  Responsible and successful strategically smart companies and organizations ferociously protect their brand!  This is done because intelligent leaders understand and dearly appreciate the history, blood, sweat and tears it took to build their precious and highly fragile brand to the heights of success!  Furthermore, responsible and deeply circumspect leaders of such organizations realize that without their brand, they have nothing!  And, THIS is the unforgivable travesty and sin that's been perpetrated upon the astounding legacy and memory of the once great Madison Scouts...For years now, the current leadership group from top to bottom who are responsible (CK, DP, Board President and Board) have irresponsibly failed to not only protect Madison's hard fought brand, but have failed to grow and perpetuate it! One can only conclude via their actions of years of dysfunctionality in product, placement, current feeder corps status, confusion of home location, antipathy towards alumni, public statements, PC social engineering, and now the push to go coed to name a few;  that It leads one to believe that those who were tasked to protect, understand and build upon Madison's brand have not only failed the protection of the brand, but seemingly never defined it or appreciated it to begin with!...They have miserably failed our legacy.  There's nothing there anymore that screams...This Is Madison!  And, for those who would knee jerk and say, "all you want to do is take Madison back to the stone ages"...you fail to understand the makeup and importance of a brand.  It's the understanding and defining of those irrefutable and non-negotiable unique qualities that have culminated in the mystique of Madison...It's the lightning in the bottle that you protect, nourish and grow brighter.  Madison was once a destination and a benchmark.  Madison used to be at the pinnacle of awe, power, finesse and the definition of what it meant to be "a drum corps fans dream"...No more, No more.  You know who you are...You were given a solemn responsibility.

There is a lot here I agree with.  I am a long-time fan of the corps and many of the most entertaining shows I have ever seen were performed by the Madison Scouts. However, putting uniforms, costumes, and musical/visual identity to the side, I have to wonder how serious the complaints would be if this corps simply performed better.  To me, if you're going to make drastic changes to branding and style then you MUST enforce those changes with clean and stellar performance.  I feel as thought the teaching of brass, percussion, guard, and marching has been derailed to some extent in order to finesse this new style.  No matter the demand level or style of show they choose to perform the thing I always look for is excellence in marching, playing, and spinning/dancing.  Good things will come in time, I am sure.  Rooting for the members of the 2018 corps to finish strong and enjoy the summer.  But I do feel the staff needs to back off on show theme and visual extras and modify things so the corps can simply march and play at an exceptional level. 

• Like 1