Madison Scouts 2018

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Not what I said. I asked why aren’t more kids choosing to march Scouts? 

Ah I misinterpreted what you meant

8 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

No one can empirically prove that becoming a coed corps would help or hurt their standings and viability. There are plenty of coed corps that are not competitive.”

thanks if I wanted the Huckabee Sanders non answer approach i'd have called her.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I'm not interested into getting into heated arguments with people who clearly have much more invested in Scouts than I do—and who attempt to win arguments by calling people names, set up endless straw men, and jumping to wild conclusions about my personal character.

I have absolutely no "squeaky wheel" agenda. None. Not any. I have nothing to gain or lose from Scouts existing as is, as some other thing, or folding. I'm not some secret PR agent of the folks in charge of Scouts. I'm not even a DCI alum of any kind. So you can choose to ignore me from here on out, put me on mute, whatever you wish. 

Not once have I stated or suggested that going co-ed would solve their problems—though it is quite obvious that being one gender, be it male or female, dramatically limits your potential enrollment and show concept options. You may view this as a limitation or an opportunity or both. Many who have a lot more hands-on experience in DCI do not believe being all-male is a fatal hindrance to success. That's great, I hope that's true.

I'm not convinced. But I'm nothing but a guy who likes drum corps.

Regardless, the constant straw man argument of, I can't PROVE that being co-ed would work, is silly. You can't prove being all-male will work either. Or all-female. If your goal is to be in medalist contention, then I might suggest you look at the corps that are in medal contention (which again includes the all-male Cavaliers and a dozen co-ed corps) and follow their lead. No doubt that includes making significant changes in MANY things BEFORE you would even consider going co-ed. If that's not your goal, and there are many DCI corps that fit this description, then you don't have to change anything but your fund raising efforts to keep doing what you're doing.

Clearly you are willing to die on the all-male hill. That's your right. I for one would hope Scouts can retain their unique identity in the activity, as they are one of the corps that got me excited about drum corps decades ago.That said, what I'm not interested in, personally, is seeing the corps continue to decline into irrelevance. For me there is no honor in representing the history of Scouts by being essentially out of Finals before we even hit August—all male or co-ed.

small hint.....there's still far more males participating in drum corps than females. And if you create shows and hire people that kids want to be a part of....talent comes.

gender aside, Madison's leadership is echoing many of the things people complained about for cadets the last several years

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Gender has nothing to do with issues

thats been said hundreds of times but some people refuse to listen

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, chadwick_michael said:

The topic is not only real, but a recent survey of the 2016 Madison Scouts indicated 60%+ support of a hypothetical co-ed decision. This generation of Scouts apparently likes electronics, too!

Here in lies all the evidence one needs to prove that there exists a complete vacuum of capable leadership at the helm in Madison!  As a matter of fact, these flunkies have a brand new "2018 Survey" out there that's weighted even more heavily towards going coed!  This is what weak individuals do that don't know the first thing about leadership 101!  They throw their hands in the air, and signal to the world, "I've Got Nothing"!  They than decide to do what so many arms flailing in the air, last gasp organizations ignorantly choose to do...Let's take a vote to see how to run this thing!  They turn in their forged leadership card credentials, and then turn the class over to the students.  It's called abdication of responsibility, authority and direction...It's mob rule and steering the ship by consensus and a show of hands...Let's all just lick our fingers and see what direction the winds are blowing!  Great leaders lead...They have no need for straw polls! 

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mad75 said:

Here in lies all the evidence one needs to prove that there exists a complete vacuum of capable leadership at the helm in Madison!  As a matter of fact, these flunkies have a brand new "2018 Survey" out there that's weighted even more heavily towards going coed!  This is what weak individuals do that don't know the first thing about leadership 101!  They throw their hands in the air, and signal to the world, "I've Got Nothing"!  They than decide to do what so many flailing organizations ignorantly choose to do...Let's take a vote to see how to run this thing!  They turn in their forged leadership card credentials, and then turn the class over to the students.  It's called abdication of responsibility, authority and direction...It's mob rule and steering the ship by consensus and a show of hands...Let's all just lick our fingers and see what direction the winds are blowing!  Great leaders lead...They have no need for straw polls! 

Again, 100% spot on. This regime is clueless. Clean house.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

Again, 100% spot on. This regime is clueless. Clean house.

Admittedly FlamMan, I have practically zero faith that there's a rescue operation on the horizon...You and I both know that the bar has been set so low for so long now, that it's last gasp miracle time!...Fourth down and 95!

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

gender aside, Madison's leadership is echoing many of the things people complained about for cadets the last several years

And therefore.....time for a leadership change. 

• Like 1

Going coed is the shiny object the incompetent leadership group is using to try to distract you from the real problem. It's the *Squirrel!!!* screech meant to get you to look over there!! and stop looking at the train wreck we've created. Don't fall for it. Now, who is the next leader?  Step up. 

• Like 1