Madison Scouts 2018

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Yes, my solution is to fire the ED, director and BOD and NOT replace them. Yes. Bravo. Oh wait - nowhere did I say that. 

And as to your point #3, you are saying this based on some sort of information you have that I don't?  Can you share that?  Or is this perception on your part based on your feelings?  You're basically saying the Scouts organization sucks and if the present leadership team (motto:  sometimes 15th place is pretty good!) were sacked, the Scouts would fold because other than them, there are zero people capable and willing to step in. Yes?

You are something else. No really.

It would be pretty smart to have an idea of what's next before making moves. Nothing official, but putting some feelers out to others makes tremendous sense. It happens in, for example, college athletics all the time. Furthermore, if there's a desired design direction (perhaps even a specific designer in mind), it would make sense to try to hire leadership that can make that happen. There's nothing wrong with thinking about that now rather than waiting around until making a change.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

That's a straw man. Step one is removal of the ED, director and apparently the BOD (just like Cadets. Apparently not such a crazy idea). Until step one is taken, there is no point in discussing steps two through x. Cadets organization made it happen. Is their alumni base more capable than Madison's?  

The Scouts are in a different position  then The Cadets.

It seems to me that,if the Inquirer story doesn't break and mushroom,GH would,despite all the gnashing of teeth ,

still be running YEA along with his BoD.

I also don't know if there were any serious contingency plans in the event of a GH/BoD departure,until the 

Inquirer story came out.

Based on this,I don't know how the Alumni or any other group could orchestrate a coup of the current leadership.

Edited by rpbobcat

23 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I'm all in on Mason, but not sure he would come back if a change is made. 

My point was, though, that the only solutions I'm seeing here and with my fellow alums on other sites is that CK needs to go, and virtually no other solutions. I'm also not saying a change in ED would be bad, but it's silly to think that would be the perfect fix, and only solution.

18 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Yes, my solution is to fire the ED, director and BOD and NOT replace them. Yes. Bravo. Oh wait - nowhere did I say that. 

And as to your point #3, you are saying this based on some sort of information you have that I don't?  Can you share that?  Or is this perception on your part based on your feelings?  You're basically saying the Scouts organization sucks and if the present leadership team (motto:  sometimes 15th place is pretty good!) were sacked, the Scouts would fold because other than them, there are zero people capable and willing to step in. Yes?

I think that ck needs to leave artistic direction to others, there is no they must go, they haven’t done anything which necessitates their termination. They do need to bring on a NEW artistic team in September. They have failed clearly in their shows and to continue with them as creative is reckless and endangers the viability of the corps. Jim mason again has the design ability to develop shows that are both Madison brand and artistically innovative. He uniquely has the leadership and respect for the scouts Brand. Give him a chance.

1 hour ago, brianella said:

I think that ck needs to leave artistic direction to others, there is no they must go, they haven’t done anything which necessitates their termination. They do need to bring on a NEW artistic team in September. They have failed clearly in their shows and to continue with them as creative is reckless and endangers the viability of the corps. Jim mason again has the design ability to develop shows that are both Madison brand and artistically innovative. He uniquely has the leadership and respect for the scouts Brand. Give him a chance.

Who's responsible?...Where does the buck stop?  Instead of drum corps, think business 101.  If after, give or take 10 yrs, you watched the slow death of your beloved family business brought to it's knees;  You would do (hopefully) what every other prudent shareholder does and would do...You'd remove the individuals in which all of those critical decisions flowed through that amounted to the company collapse.  Allowing these same individuals who destroyed your company to be given yet again another opportunity to try again is the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting a different outcome!)...Fool me once, shame on you!...Fool me 10yrs, shame on me!

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

@kdaddy did a pretty good job addressing this already, but I will address your highlighted part...

No, nowhere did I even suggest any of these things you are suggesting. And don't you DARE insinuate that I said that that was your "solution." I know you'd want to plan, but you are insisting on firing the director and BoD before beginning to plan. But if you clean out the house now without bringing someone in right away to remodel it, it's going to sit and decay. And if what people are saying about the corps is true, every second nobody is in this house fixing it up, the harder it will be to fix when someone finally DOES step in.

6 minutes ago, Mad75 said:

Who's responsible?...Where does the buck stop?  Instead of drum corps, think business 101.  

Oh good, Stu is back.

As an outsider looking in, I think Madison is in a position where they need to make a big splash quickly after finals this year. New leadership, new designers, etc. DCI is better when certain corps are good - Blue Devils, SCV, Cadets, Cavaliers - units that have been around since the 70s.

Madison is on the list. I thought Blue Stars fighting their way back to world class was a great thing for DCI. I love new corps making finals, but understand the importance of corps with large fan and alumni bases being relevant. 

I do not know enough about the Scouts' financial situation to know if they can attract the leadership and talent needed, but I do fear, if changes are not made, they will go away. I don't think the Madison Scouts family will continue to support a corps that falls into the routinely out of finals grouping. 

20 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

As an outsider looking in, I think Madison is in a position where they need to make a big splash quickly after finals this year. New leadership, new designers, etc. DCI is better when certain corps are good - Blue Devils, SCV, Cadets, Cavaliers - units that have been around since the 70s.

Madison is on the list. I thought Blue Stars fighting their way back to world class was a great thing for DCI. I love new corps making finals, but understand the importance of corps with large fan and alumni bases being relevant. 

I do not know enough about the Scouts' financial situation to know if they can attract the leadership and talent needed, but I do fear, if changes are not made, they will go away. I don't think the Madison Scouts family will continue to support a corps that falls into the routinely out of finals grouping. 

IMO Madison needs a boat load of MONEYObviously it works

buy that A-list staff, members will follow, at least till the money runs out..lol. Leadership must lead with a heart BUT a wise and competitive head with longevity and solid goals right from day 1. Look why staff left, directors left, members left. Listen to others BUT do not base decisions on temporary fixes. Be willing to lose supporters if needed BUT be conscious of supporters that ARE needed.

I've had this discussion I can't tell you how many times with people from and those who have left Scouts. Can only get the horse to the water, making them drink is another story.

IMO...we can NOT lose the Madison Scouts

Edited by GUARDLING