Madison Scouts 2018

5 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Its a good time to be on the DCP hwy at the moment too. Traffic is light, no road construction , nor bumper to bumper travel...  looks like clear sailing all the way to Summersville ( or at least to Winters Park, Springsfield )

I wish we could drive right past the Winters Park part and pull into Springsfield.  LOL.

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I wish we could drive right past the Winters Park part and pull into Springsfield.  LOL.

Don't drive thru here though...... apparently, nobody does..Funny street names: Seldom Seen Road!

Edited by BRASSO

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I'm hearing that the Madison alumni fb page is going crazy with opinions. Is this a good crazy or bad crazy?

is it about the article debated on reddit mentioning Scouts and Blue Stars???

https://medium.com/@chadwickmichael/bias-in-the-brotherhood-ee75dead4a6d

While it clearly states that the issue will be addressed next week, and that the organization is likely to have a progressive stance moving forward, the language used in the article and the slobbering over another individual/corps who takes a more progressive view at this moment seems to be attempting to villainize the Scouts. 

Dann is one of the nicest guys I know in the activity, and this seems more of a situation where the corps was simply not prepared to respond to a request of this nature. Yes, something like this should have certainly been anticipated at some point, but I don't think there was any intended malice in the denial of admission. The article certainly does not share my sentiments, and I fear that regardless of the results of next week's meeting the corps' reputation will be damaged if this article really catches fire. 

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

While it clearly states that the issue will be addressed next week, and that the organization is likely to have a progressive stance moving forward, the language used in the article and the slobbering over another individual/corps who takes a more progressive view at this moment seems to be attempting to villainize the Scouts. 

Dann is one of the nicest guys I know in the activity, and this seems more of a situation where the corps was simply not prepared to respond to a request of this nature. Yes, something like this should have certainly been anticipated at some point, but I don't think there was any intended malice in the denial of admission. The article certainly does not share my sentiments, and I fear that regardless of the results of next week's meeting the corps' reputation will be damaged if this article really catches fire. 

The poll result in that article seems highly suspect to me as well. According to the poll there, almost 2 out of 3 Madison Scouts Alums ( over 60% polled ) favor the dropping of the All Male Scouts policy and supporting a new policy to allow females to march the Madison Scouts.  But thats not my sense from talking to many  Madison Scouts Alums over the years. But who knows, maybe I'm just behind the times now on what most Madison Scouts alums are thinking on this these days now too. ( But I don't believe so... but then again, who knows )

Edited by BRASSO

7 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I disagree that the corps was not prepared to respond to a "request of this nature".

The article says that the corps uses the sex on someone's birth certificate to determine eligibility.

That's a pretty clear policy.

It would be interesting to see if this policy is in their  bi-laws.

Ahh the social justice warriers don't let a moment go to waste.  Madison Scouts can include or exclude whomever they wish for whatever reason they wish.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The poll result in that article seems highly suspect to me as well. According to the poll there, almost 2 out of 3 Madison Scouts Alums ( over 60% polled ) favor the dropping of the All Male Scouts policy and supporting a new policy to allow females to march the Madison Scouts.  But thats not my sense from talking to many  Madison Scouts Alums over the years. But who knows, maybe I'm just behind the times now on what most Madison Scouts alums are thinking on this these days now too. ( But I don't believe so... but then again, who knows )

It also depends on how the question was worded... if it's "are YOU in favor of allowing females into the corps," then I can imagine the response being less in favor. If it's "if the administration agreed to allow females into the corps, would you support their decision," then I can see the support being higher.

Also, our favorite SubReddit has gone to task showing that the issue has already been taken care of. At this point it should be a non-issue, but the damage may already be done.

16 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

It also depends on how the question was worded... if it's "are YOU in favor of allowing females into the corps," then I can imagine the response being less in favor. If it's "if the administration agreed to allow females into the corps, would you support their decision," then I can see the support being higher.

Also, our favorite SubReddit has gone to task showing that the issue has already been taken care of. At this point it should be a non-issue, but the damage may already be done.

Good point. Poll results can be skewed one way or the other by the mere wording of the poll question itself. I did think the author of the article was a bit disingenuous to the Madison Scouts on the whole too in the writing in the article. Hopefully, moving forward, a satisfactory accommodating outcome can be achieved here for all parties involved.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1