Madison Scouts 2018

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Aren’t plenty of other corps doing just fine even without hints of their previous identity? Boston Crusaders look nothing like Boston, neither does SCV or Crown

I would counter that those corps Have retained their identities. When you think about brass, do you not think Crown?  When you think overall excellence and class, do you not think SCV?  What is (was) Madison?  Others have said it:  in your face, cocky, fun, entertainment. They better find that again, ASAP.  With the new BOD and leadership team. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, HockeyDad said:

I would counter that those corps Have retained their identities. When you think about brass, do you not think Crown?  When you think overall excellence and class, do you not think SCV?  What is (was) Madison?  Others have said it:  in your face, cocky, fun, entertainment. They better find that again, ASAP.  With the new BOD and leadership team. 

I'm mostly referring to the odd fixation on the uniforms. I agree that Madison SHOULD retain the in your face, cocky, fun style. That is the core of their identity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

Spot on

On 7/18/2018 at 9:50 AM, MadScout80 said:

Wonder what the Blue Stars alumni thread would have looked like in the 80s and 90s.  

The Blue Stars situation is a little different than what the Madison Scouts are experiencing. The original Div I Blue Stars folded after the '82 season because  of debt; however, the reformed cadet corps kept the organization going. The majority of the Blue Star Cadets had a connection to the Blue Stars via family and friends. In '87 the debt was paid off and the Blue Stars Cadets became the Blue Stars. The corps spent the '80s and '90s as a CCI, A/A-60, Div II and III corps. The support from the alumni was strong in the '80s with the goal to build the corps back up to Div I. The growth was slow; however, the corps kept plugging along. Around '93 and '94 the alumni from the original Blue Stars were growing weary of seeing the corps still competing in A/A-60 and Div II and III. Some even suggested the corps should "die." The corps kept plugging along with the goal, still, to get the corps back to Div I. After two strong years in Div II (2004 and 2005) the corps made the jump back up to Div I. The foundation was set for the return and the success was immediate. The corps hit a speed bump during it's sophomore year back in Div I; but didn't drop in placement. 2008 ushered in the return to the top 12 and the corps has been a consistent finalist; only falling out once. The alumni from the '70s have returned; however, it would have been great to have their continued support in the '90s, too. Another memory...I still remember a young staff member from the Crossmen saying "We got beat by the Blue Stars! A Div II corps!," after semi-finals in '06. He was politely reminded that '06 was a return to Div I; not something new. How does this relate to the Scouts? Sometimes when a corps is experiencing "tough" times; it can take a few years or more, some thick skin, a lot of pride, and knowing what defines the corps to become "successful" again. You all as Madison Scouts alumni are the folks that can institute change. Ask yourselves; "What are our long term visions for the longevity and success of the organization? How can we be all encompassing to the members of all decades of the corps?" Strength in numbers and sensibility will help bring the Madison Scouts back to Saturday night. Cheers!  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I'm mostly referring to the odd fixation on the uniforms. I agree that Madison SHOULD retain the in your face, cocky, fun style. That is the core of their identity. 

There’s still complaints about Cadets uniforms

From what I can gather, there are about to be some closed rehearsals where changes to the show will be made. Staff wants the changes to be a surprise.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 10:48 AM, Cappybara said:

1 minute ago,  Triple Forte said: 

yeah but here's the thing can you feel in your face cocky and fun with a dress on? You hear from actors all the time that wardrobe is a key part to them finding their characters and feeling the part. if Madison doesn't have a strong visual presence then I doubt they're going to project a strong style .  Do you want to see what Madison used to be...look at  the bluecoats the last couple years.  that is what Madison used to be high energy musical shows . 

Madison's 2015 Corps was just fine by me except for the narration

Edited by Triple Forte

Just now, Triple Forte said:

yeah but here's the thing can you feel in your face cocky and fun with a dress on? You hear from actors all the time that wardrobe is a key part to them finding their characters and feeling the part. if Madison doesn't have a strong visual presence then I doubt they're going to project a strong style .  Do you want to see what Madison used to be...look at  the bluecoats the last couple years.  that is what Madison used to be high energy musical shows . 

Madison's 2015 Corps was just fine by me except for the narration