swmstom

Madison Scouts 2018

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ShortAndFast said:

I didn't observe the DCI judges killing Bluecoats in 2016 for exactly that type of show. 

If u think 2018 Scouts is exactly the same type of show as 2016 Bluecoats, there is a lot u didn’t observe

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

I didn't observe the DCI judges killing Bluecoats in 2016 for exactly that type of show. 

And to think that both Jon Vanderkoff and Jim Moore were at Madison.  They were given all the freedom they wanted when they moved to Bluecoats.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rmurrey74 said:

And to think that both Jon Vanderkoff and Jim Moore were at Madison.  They were given all the freedom they wanted when they moved to Bluecoats.

 

I agree. Madison has unquestionably had some of the very best designers and staff in DCI over the last decade. But they've all moved on. But it's particularly notable to me how Bloo succeeded with a very Madison-style show. If you could have taken a fan from 1995, brought him forward in time to a Bluecoats 2016 rehearsal and asked him "what corps is this?", he would definitely have answered "Scouts".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Madcityscout said:

I honestly think this year’s show concept was a good modern idea. Now, design wise it could have been better sure. So many people said the show was a beautiful show. Maybe they could build on something dealing more with love and unity in a modern way in the future.

Personally I thought the show idea might have made more sense 5 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, afd said:

For one thing the "costumes" or uniforms really are just not Madison Scouts. They look like a Disneyland High School musical group. I really think you can be update but have your look and know that this is the Madison Scouts. When I first saw them unless they were announced they were MS I would have never known that.

Boston doesn’t look like Boston and yet no one is complaining. Why? Because the design of the show is good and placing well. Winning fixes all problems 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not understanding the comparisons to Bloo. Just because of the jazz and screamers? 

Scouts alums would go equally as crazy if Madison dressed up in Bloo 2016-2017 type of uniforms 

Bluecoats are staging masters, they don’t do any of the flashy things the Madison scouts used to do such as company fronts 

If jazz and screamers is what people think is all it’s gonna take to get Madison competitive, they’re going to be disappointed. 

Edit: forgot to add that one of the big appeals behind Bloo is their masterful use of technology and amplification. That kind of thing would not fly well with Scouts alums. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I’m not understanding the comparisons to Bloo. Just because of the jazz and screamers? 

Scouts alums would go equally as crazy if Madison dressed up in Bloo 2016-2017 type of uniforms 

Bluecoats are staging masters, they don’t do any of the flashy things the Madison scouts used to do such as company fronts 

If jazz and screamers is what people think is all it’s gonna take to get Madison competitive, they’re going to be disappointed. 

Edit: forgot to add that one of the big appeals behind Bloo is their masterful use of technology and amplification. That kind of thing would not fly well with Scouts alums. 

Company fronts are flashy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Boston doesn’t look like Boston and yet no one is complaining. Why? Because the design of the show is good and placing well. Winning fixes all problems 

Yes.  Like how in 1997, Madison departed from their stylistic track and did a heavily thematic show, yet there was no drama because they stayed top 5.  I imagine that if "Pirates of Lake Mendota" had been ranking 16th, reactions would have been much like what we see here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Company fronts are flashy? 

By modern visual standards, yes 

I understand at a certain point in time in DCI, company fronts were practically obligatory. But now they’re not exactly the standard 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.