Madison Scouts 2018

1 hour ago, BlueByYou2000 said:

I can tell you i know several “real” alums who never post here that echo the negative sentiment as many here. Im sorry but being critical of ones old corps leadership doesnt make them any less real. 

I know many alums who don't post here that support the corps regardless of placement.  I truly think it's the majority.  DCP is a pretty small view of the real world out there.  My experience at alumni events is very different than the tone of this thread.  

In the big picture the organization is as strong as ever (my opinion), and continuing to teach life lessons. 

Go Scouts!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Sorry to single you out as the example... but here is what irks me about the tone here.

1.  First, the elitism.  You are not entitled to competitive success in perpetuity.  A corps BOD cannot "ensure competitive results".  If the mere fact that X number of other corps outscore you is sufficient cause to declare your otherwise constructive program a failure, you failed to learn one of the most important life lessons of drum corps.  Some people here post as if the Madison Scouts would be better off dead than alive if placing below 16th... while the majority of corps programs place below 16th.  Should we tell the majority of the corps performing in the prelims today that they are better off dead?

2.  Not doing anything?  This is the same corps that spent itself into oblivion circa 2003-4, and has recovered to build not only a financially viable operation, but a good-sized, multi-program arts organization similar to those of other big DCI names.  They have adopted the expanded tour of DCI world class; they are equipped, housed and fed like other WC corps; they have retained and acquired staff of legendary reputation and proven success.

3.  Of course it is frustrating that this same staff of past proven successes came up with this cringeworthy design.  Then again, I have cringed at 16 of the past 19 Blue Devils offerings.  I have noticed that corps supporters are far more willing to keep their cringing to themselves when the corps is placing as expected or better.

I hope the real "men of Madison", alumni of the corps who must number in the thousands by now, are not accurately represented by the few here who cry because of the present corps ranking.

1. Elitism, hell yes!! Elite, The Top, The Best, UPPER echelon. I expect my corps to be the top Entertainer competing for a title, or at least striving for it. I want to walk away from a show and say, I gotta see that again!!! not hold my head in disgust, and feel bad for the members who have to perform this joke, 

2. Spent money into oblivion in 2003-2004?? RECOVERED?? Are you insane or just ignorant?  The corps financial problems are worse than ever. Borrowing money to finish tour from an Alum is not financially stable. But you seem to have a good grasp on the books.

3. This staff has not had any proven success. They acted out a selfish indulgent, to satisfy  their own needs and egos. 

4 Wake up! time for a change. Duggan, Boerma, Tomsa, Naherniak, komneck and peterson, this what you do to the so called brotherhood that you claim to be a part of on the 80th year anniversary?? Shame on you for driving a once iconic brand into the ground. As well as the rest of the BOD for letting this abortion see the light of day.

Edited by Q of A
  • Thanks 2

My only question is who do you have in mind to replace them if you want them out? Wayne Downey, Todd Ryan and Hopkins? It would be foolish to replace something without already have adequate replacements available to move forward. As Nick Saban once said you need adequate replacements on deck.

Edited by Madcityscout

1 hour ago, Q of A said:

1. Elitism, hell yes!! Elite, The Top, The Best, UPPER echelon. I expect my corps to be the top Entertainer competing for a title, or at least striving for it. I want to walk away from a show and say, I gotta see that again!!! not hold my head in disgust, and feel bad for the members who have to perform this joke, 

2. Spent money into oblivion in 2003-2004?? RECOVERED?? Are you insane or just ignorant?  The corps financial problems are worse than ever. Borrowing money to finish tour from an Alum is not financially stable. But you seem to have a good grasp on the books.

3. This staff has not had any proven success. They acted out a selfish indulgent, to satisfy  their own needs and egos. 

4 Wake up! time for a change. Duggan, Boerma, Tomsa, Naherniak, komneck and peterson, this what you do to the so called brotherhood that you claim to be a part of on the 80th year anniversary?? Shame on you for driving a once iconic brand into the ground. As well as the rest of the BOD for letting this abortion see the light of day.

1.  As long as your corps wins, all is well.  If your corps loses, the sky is falling.  Thanks for illustrating my point.

2.  Among all the hair-on-fire accusations in this protracted thread, the most flammable of them all is nowhere near the depth of the financial hole the 2003-4 admin dug the corps into.

3.  Was Madison never any good with Scott Boerma arranging?

4.  What replacement staff do you expect will jump at the chance to work for a corps with such loyal and appreciative supporters as yourself?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MadScout80 said:

I know many alums who don't post here that support the corps regardless of placement.  I truly think it's the majority.  DCP is a pretty small view of the real world out there.  My experience at alumni events is very different than the tone of this thread.  

In the big picture the organization is as strong as ever (my opinion), and continuing to teach life lessons. 

Go Scouts!

After attending yesterday’s rehearsal, one would never know these guys are hovering at 16th place.  Lots of energy...lots of positive reinforcement/teaching.  In fact, I will tell that this year’s energy is much better than the past two.  Now, maybe they are playing more relaxed knowing they won’t make finals?  I don’t know...but the effort was outstanding.  

• Like 2

There seems to be enough bashing in this thread to go around but I will make one comment.  This is not meant to reflect on the young men who are working their butts off and I am sure living up to everything great about the Scouts, past, present, etc.  But there are not very many shows in DCI over the years I have actually hated.  This is one.  I feel like it's a Bad HS BOA rehash that I don't even think Broken Arrow, Union or any of the other top BOA bands around here would do.

But the kids can only perform what they are given.  (Yes 21 is still a "kid" when you get old and grumpy like me.  :bored:  )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  As long as your corps wins, all is well.  If your corps loses, the sky is falling.  Thanks for illustrating my point.

2.  Among all the hair-on-fire accusations in this protracted thread, the most flammable of them all is nowhere near the depth of the financial hole the 2003-4 admin dug the corps into.

3.  Was Madison never any good with Scott Boerma arranging?

4.  What replacement staff do you expect will jump at the chance to work for a corps with such loyal and appreciative supporters as yourself?

1. Not Wins, entertains and strives for excellence. Loses??? Thanks for,  illustrating my point place or worse is not even in the running for losing.

2. Financially they are in a huge hole. Is borrowing funds from Alumni to finish tour oK? Does that sound like fiscally sound? What is the current debt right now, How much has been paid down?

3. Madison was great with Boerma, never said they were not. He had just a big hand in writing the dumpster fire. Did he just throw in and say fine, here is your baby, I only was paid to write it?

4. I have done plenty for the Scouts. Right now a change is needed badly. By standing by and saying all is good is for fools.  You are probably one of the people and there were many, that said that with a few tweaks and some great work this show would make finals and probably still believe that. That is fine. From day one, I and many other said it would not come close to finals. So put down the koolaid, I have listen to you drum corps experts all year, guess you are not. 

Edited by Q of A

19 minutes ago, Q of A said:

1. Not Wins, entertains and strives for excellence. Loses??? Thanks for,  illustrating my point place or worse is not even in the running for losing.

2. Financially they are in a huge hole. Is borrowing funds from Alumni to finish tour oK? Does that sound like fiscally sound? What is the current debt right now, How much has been paid down?

3. Madison was great with Boerma, never said they were not. He had just a big hand in writing the dumpster fire. Did he just throw in and say fine, here is your baby, I only was paid to write it?

4. I have done plenty for the Scouts. Right now a change is needed badly. By standing by and saying all is good is for fools.  You are probably one of the people and there were many, that said that with a few tweaks and some great work this show would make finals and probably still believe that. That is fine. From day one, I and many other said it would not come close to finals. So put down the koolaid, I have listen to you drum corps experts all year, guess you are not. 

Well, you are just as wrong about me as everything else.  I posted my opinion of the show design earlier today (keyword: cringeworthy).  I just have not yet chosen to extend my armchair quarterbacking to demand they fire the staff, fire the admins, fire the BOD... speaking of fire, what happened to my hair?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Q of A said:

Well they are not even close to contention or relevancy. The show picked for an 80th anniversary of an iconic Drum and bugle corps is embarrassing.  

It is almost a bizarre strategy for a big anniversary. If folks in charge wanted the radical change of Heart & Soul, you’d think they might have passed it to next year.

Not sure anyone’s mentioned that we don’t even get that cool Madison DM salute for this 80th.

4 hours ago, MadScout80 said:

In the big picture the organization is as strong as ever

Go Scouts!

Uh...no.