Madison Scouts 2018

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

From someone who teaches many of these kids and although I do not mind criticizing any part of this. members DO equate their staff and management to themselves as one ( as it should be )It isn't about them being smart or not it's about loyalty and buying into what those around them tell them.

This is an outstanding point (though I don't know whether it is "as it should be").  Commitment to something bigger than oneself, which is regarded as an important value in corps, leads to buying into whatever leadership tells you.  From the inside, how does one distinguish pure commitment from blind loyalty?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tedrick said:

OK - caught the show on YT - Overall, first impressions I like it! Music good, drill good, drumming good, soloists good

I would encourage the horn staff to let the soloist add more to the solos -- the don't quite flow as nicely as I think she could probably play them if she loosened up a bit -- sounds a bit stiff for flugel work - we're comparing to the past couple fantastic flugel solos from BD and Bloo -- she has the chops to play similarly -- she just needs to jazz up the solos a bit more -- 

Over all, I was expecting to hate it but I like it! 100% better than last year's show -- 

after getting the WGI costume out of our systems, I think we can go back to the superman suites -- 

I did the same - YT viewing - and feel much the same way with one additional comment/observation:  I like the last half of the show WAY more than the first half.  Perhaps I'm more of a "Soul" than "Heart" person....at least the way the show portrays...

36 minutes ago, tedrick said:

sounds a bit stiff for flugel work - we're comparing to the past couple fantastic flugel solos from BD and Bloo -- she has the chops to play similarly -- she just needs to jazz up the solos a bit more -- 

Over all, I was expecting to hate it but I like it! 100% better than last year's show -- 

after getting the WGI costume out of our systems, I think we can go back to the superman suites -- 

I'd also add flugel solos Glassmen 2001, 2002..........she was but an infant then though, thank goodness for YT.

44 minutes ago, skevinp said:

This is an outstanding point (though I don't know whether it is "as it should be").  Commitment to something bigger than oneself, which is regarded as an important value in corps, leads to buying into whatever leadership tells you.  From the inside, how does one distinguish pure commitment from blind loyalty?  

Well, that is hard. JUst have to always look at things with wide open eyes. We see the blind faith a lot nowadays, don't we. Ignoring something most always backfires, if not in the moment in the near future..always does

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

Conscience.

• Like 1

The guy that posted the Madison Scouts video on Youtube went and removed all the negative posts. I'll just repost what I said in the comments here:

"I'm disappointed in the direction many of the drum corps are going and I'm too embarrassed to introduce any new people to this activity nowadays. DCI is starting to feel very pretentious."

The channel owner goes on to say this in the comments:

"True Scouts fans never hate! ❤️ All these haters and alumni that keep ripping on the Scouts because they aren’t the same when you marched, you’re old. Get with the times. If you ACTUALLY loved the Scouts then you would support them with any decision they made. I love you Scouts! Don’t listen to these haters! ❤️"

My reply:

"The Madison Scouts are the reason I became a fan of DCI 16 years ago, and it sucks seeing them follow the other corps into obscurity rather than being a corps that set itself apart from the rest. In no way would I hate on the performers...they are doing a great job and I feel like this is a very talented group compared to recent years. I just don't like the direction their leadership is taking them. This goes for many other DCI programs too...it just hurts the most when I see that the Scouts are buying into it too. Modern shows are becoming less and less accessible to the average person and I feel like DCI is beginning to only appeal to a group of elitists that think that this is high quality art, and then hating on anyone that dares to question it...it's like loving the smell of your own farts, and then getting offended when others don't love it too. Go ahead and remove all the negative comments if you can't handle the criticism like an adult. I see you already removed my comment that was aimed at DCI and not just the Madison Scouts."

I usually don't post here anymore, but I'm concerned enough with the future of the activity that I felt like coming back and sharing my thoughts. Last year's shows were unimpressive to me overall, and this year is shaping up to be another disappointing one to me. There are some good things happening here and there in DCI, but overall I just feel let down by the direction the activity is taking. If I was just now discovering DCI I would not look into it any further. I only stick around because I want it to be entertaining to me again, but it's getting harder and harder to like it when it is starting to resemble WGI more and more, which I have never been a fan of. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tupid_06 said:

it's getting harder and harder to like it when it is starting to resemble WGI more and more, which I have never been a fan of. 

I'm with you - my post in the costumes thread is in a similar vein (sorry) - the activity is just on the outward swing of the pendulum - pushing out towards the nakedness of The Emperor Has No Clothes -- I predict (hope) that the pendulum will swing back towards normalcy - kind of like Bluecoats coming back to a more "normal" look -- 

Hopefully corps will recognize that the beer and pretzel crowd kind of liked the old uniforms, like some slice and dice drill, enjoyed dancing in moderation - how bout we keep it in the guard - and the activity will swing back to the middle for awhile.... before the next innovation comes along and the designers go all goofy again....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, skevinp said:

You could get a shirt that says "I'm with Tupid"

Genius 

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

I'm with you - my post in the costumes thread is in a similar vein (sorry) - the activity is just on the outward swing of the pendulum - pushing out towards the nakedness of The Emperor Has No Clothes -- I predict (hope) that the pendulum will swing back towards normalcy - kind of like Bluecoats coming back to a more "normal" look -- 

Hopefully corps will recognize that the beer and pretzel crowd kind of liked the old uniforms, like some slice and dice drill, enjoyed dancing in moderation - how bout we keep it in the guard - and the activity will swing back to the middle for awhile.... before the next innovation comes along and the designers go all goofy again....

That ship has sailed. I think I can safely say things can swing back somewhat BUT what you are looking for is gone. By the way, this is the new Normal

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2