Madison Scouts 2018

Already seeing the "quit complaining and come volunteer" and "quit complaining and donate". That is getting tiresome. I donate what I can but I can't leave my job to hop on the road. And at what point do I no longer donate because the product being given the kids to use is less than par. I understand the need to keep up with the modern activity, but it feels like they've gone off the deep end trying to be something different and new....and it's just not working. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FlamMan said:

This show concept and design is sub par. Every year I hope that the Scouts get their act together, and with each regime change the product and results are the same...disappointing. Madison trying to be like everyone else isnt the answer. If you really want to be different and innovative in 2019, go back to something resembling the traditional scout uniform and play Latin jazz.

Since the Stewart era (1978-2002), MS has gone through:

2003-2006 Sal Salas era.  These were all solid shows with 2005 cracking the top 6.  Lots of alums criticized the uni, though.

2007.  Not sure who was in charge, but a bit of a disaster.  Started to come together toward the end

2008. Very nice Latin show with an "interesting" uniform and some innovative percussion.

2009. Relampago, which as far as I can tell is Spanish for "rock bottom."

2010-2014.  Jim Mason era.  Brought back the "look and feel" of the Scouts in a big way.  Great show concepts.  "New York Morning" was probably the highlight.

2015. 78th & Madison.  Another New York themed show that was well designed and executed.  Brought back the classic uni.

2016. JCS.  Nice idea, lame design

2017. Crazy, but it worked (for me).

2018.  I'll reserve judgment.

If you're judging them against a "championship" standard, then, yes, a bit disappointing.  But by the standards of normal DBC, only 2007 and 2009 were complete disasters.  Everything else was pretty solid in the design dept.  2005 and 2011 could be considered classics.  

• Like 2

Though many seem to be doing so, I do not see this production as a modern day drum corp show,  a sell out to be like everyone else show. It comes across to me like a BOA show from 10 or more years ago. If you told me the design team and admin aimed to design a show that reflected the style and aesthetics of the top 8 or so, I would say such was not the case. There was a time when I was more entertained by the top BOA bands than drum corps, but thanks to several corps and Cesario' s push for groups to be unique from one another, I think we are in the best years of design and performance since I have been following the activity (1981). 

Crown is distinctly Crown, and similar with BD, SCV, Crossmen, Troop, Cavies, Cadets, BK, etc. Though some of these groups go through different designers, I feel that they each have a style and swagger to them that makes them unique, identifiable without the uniform. 

Madison has time to make changes, improve, etc. I am all for the member's having a memorable and successful summer, in all the various ways such is defined. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vferrera said:

Since the Stewart era (1978-2002), MS has gone through:

2003-2006 Sal Salas era.  These were all solid shows with 2005 cracking the top 6.  Lots of alums criticized the uni, though.

2007.  Not sure who was in charge, but a bit of a disaster.  Started to come together toward the end

2008. Very nice Latin show with an "interesting" uniform and some innovative percussion.

2009. Relampago, which as far as I can tell is Spanish for "rock bottom."

2010-2014.  Jim Mason era.  Brought back the "look and feel" of the Scouts in a big way.  Great show concepts.  "New York Morning" was probably the highlight.

2015. 78th & Madison.  Another New York themed show that was well designed and executed.  Brought back the classic uni.

2016. JCS.  Nice idea, lame design

2017. Crazy, but it worked (for me).

2018.  I'll reserve judgment.

If you're judging them against a "championship" standard, then, yes, a bit disappointing.  But by the standards of normal DBC, only 2007 and 2009 were complete disasters.  Everything else was pretty solid in the design dept.  2005 and 2011 could be considered classics.  

I believe Jeff Spanos was director in 2007.  Part of the reason they had issues was the drill had to be completely rewritten.  If they’d started with that visual show,  I think they would have made finals. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Meant every word.

I'm sure you did, but... is this really what you would have wanted when you marched?  What if you saw the '88 corps members talking about how glad they were that you weren't able to contend for a title in '96, and had to settle for 6th?  I get you're upset, and I don't profess to have any insight or knowledge about how the corps is currently run, but you're not really paying forward the support *you* received, you know?

Mike

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I'm sure you did, but... is this really what you would have wanted when you marched?  What if you saw the '88 corps members talking about how glad they were that you weren't able to contend for a title in '96, and had to settle for 6th?  I get you're upset, and I don't profess to have any insight or knowledge about how the corps is currently run, but you're not really paying forward the support *you* received, you know?

Mike

Yeah, I’m done with that kind of thinking. It only perpetuates the status quo.

2 hours ago, vferrera said:

My problem with the Mason era is they did the same thing that they did at Star ('87 - '89) - designed shows that couldn't sustain placement through finals. That was very frustrating.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tupid_06 said:

As far as the program goes and what they are trying to convey...I have yet to figure that out. 

It's the classic "left brain, right brain" dichotomy show, only applied to the heart. The corps proper and the first half of the show are the literal, scientific function of the heart, while the soloist and guard (and the second half of the show) are about what the heart represents, essentially its spiritual function. 

I think the first half is coming off a bit too cheesy right now, and the second half needs to let loose a little more. But overall, it's has more room to grow and is far less cheesy than another Wisconsin group I know of...

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I liked the 2007 show.......

Me, too!  Those kids were given a lot to handle and they dealt with it very well. The new visual show was on the field in San Antonio but it was too little time before Pasadena.