Madison Scouts 2018

36 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Ironically, no DCI Corps incorporated more traditional elements into their 2017 Show production than the 2017 DCI Champion themselves, imo... " The Concord Blue Devils ". From their off the line, their company front, their traditional headgear, shakos, their " blue colors " retention in the attire, their music selection tribute to the 70's, their street beat percussion feature, the voice over by the Founder, etc and so on and forth... Yes, BD incorporated modern elements into the show as well... for sure.. But they didn't throw the baby out with the bath water here re. traditional elements, now did they ? They blended wonderfully the two, imo. Did Madison do this ? What is found in their shows the last 2-3 seasons that is a nod at all to tradition ? Madison Scouts went " all in " .. 110%...  the last few years on going WGI inspired  " Mod " it seems to me. One can assesss how thats worked out for them in any manner one chooses, I suppose.

being modern or being retro isn't enough...it's how you do it. And BD did it in a fresh way that engaged young and old alike. Madison last year felt an extended rehash of Music City Mystique did in WGI Percussion a few months earlier. Even in the Mason years, Madison was able to blend some old and new together in ways that were working.

Plus, this isn't 1987 anymore. The top of the DCI house is crowded more so than ever. Back then it was your usual suspects in the top 5/6, then everyone else. Not only did new faces join the top, but below that grouping got a lot better too. 

• Like 2

Like I’ve said before, the Madison Scouts were among my favorite competitors and it pains me to hear rumor of alumni being shoved aside.  As an alumnus of the other all-male corps, let me tell you how good it is to be included in off the field decision making.  Yes, we alumni contribute generously but the Board of Directors appreciates our input, not just our money.

Okay, back to Madison.  I hope and pray they find their way, their identity, and their traditions alive.  They don’t have to put on 1980 uniforms to do it, either, or come back with yet another version of  “Malagueña.” The design staff isn’t fielding a sufficiently difficult show and this is reflected in the Content and Analysis scores.  

Maybe in 2019 Madison can play music from “The Greatest Showman” or from “The Incredibles” or something along those lines.  The music is difficult, it would lend itself well to brass arrangements, and be entertaining enough so the Scouts could let rip and peel paint.

What is Jim Elvord doing these days?

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

being modern or being retro isn't enough...it's how you do it. And BD did it in a fresh way that engaged young and old alike. Madison last year felt an extended rehash of Music City Mystique did in WGI Percussion a few months earlier. Even in the Mason years, Madison was able to blend some old and new together in ways that were working.

Plus, this isn't 1987 anymore. The top of the DCI house is crowded more so than ever. Back then it was your usual suspects in the top 5/6, then everyone else. Not only did new faces join the top, but below that grouping got a lot better too. 

I don't disagree with this assessment. I don't pretend to know whats the best way forward for the Madison Scouts here is either. I wish them well.

In 2001, Madison was 11th...  in 2002, Madison was 14th.... then Madison rebounded well and were 8th in 2003.

In 2009, Madison was 15th.... but then rebounded nicely to 10th in 2010.

I have confidence that Madison will rebound once again.... AND.... lets not give up on the 2018 edition of the Madison Scouts either. Its still just June !!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I think Madison has a great show this year. It may have some issues here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed by August. Some fantastic musical moments and drill, and still early in the season. There is a chance they might not make finals, as that whole grouping between 10-17 is amazing this year, but that speaks to the high quality of corps shows and performances these days. It would be cool to see Mandarins make finals for the first time, and Spirit is making a nice stride towards returning as well, which means that two corps between Crossmen, Blue Stars and Madison would have to drop out. I wouldn't count Madison Scouts out of the mix yet, and wish the best for them this competitive season, but even if they don't make finals I will definitely be enjoying this show and seeing what changes they pull out over the next month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MisterA said:

I think Madison has a great show this year. It may have some issues here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed by August. Some fantastic musical moments and drill, and still early in the season. There is a chance they might not make finals, as that whole grouping between 10-17 is amazing this year, but that speaks to the high quality of corps shows and performances these days. It would be cool to see Mandarins make finals for the first time, and Spirit is making a nice stride towards returning as well, which means that two corps between Crossmen, Blue Stars and Madison would have to drop out. I wouldn't count Madison Scouts out of the mix yet, and wish the best for them this competitive season, but even if they don't make finals I will definitely be enjoying this show and seeing what changes they pull out over the next month.

I think last year's top 11 will all remain in finals. I just don't see Blue Stars or Crossmen falling out (their shows are too well designed), and I don't see the Mandarins not getting in. Being over 3 points behind Crossmen/Blue Stars does not bode well for Madison. DCI is not like it was in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s where it was possible to make up over a bigger deficit than that. It is a rarity today, especially when the season is shorter, and it's even rarer for corps in the lower levels of the top 12/15-17 group. I see Crossmen and Blue Stars as better on every single level than Madison. I think right now there is no 10-17 group - it's rather a 13-16/17 group (Madison, Academy, Colts, Spirit and possibly Troopers). I see an 8-12 group with (BK, Regiment, Blue Stars, Crossmen, and Mandarins). Although Regiment and BK may be in the forefront of that group right now, I feel the entire group has the goods and Blue Stars show has the most potential of that group. After seeing the Mandarins live I am convinced they are going to make it in. Not only are they performing the show so well, it's the type of show the judges eat up. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 3

On 6/29/2018 at 5:44 PM, Mad75 said:

This current management Team has done such a thorough job of alienating their alumni, that most alumni I know have absolutely no interest in supporting the Scouts ever again...They're rung out and feel completely disrespected and disenfranchised...They've simply moved on. 

If this is true, then why did the organization receive record contributions in the previous fiscal year according to https://madisonscouts.app.box.com/s/xn4tb3tj0beo2gmc4nqniwlu9uu93fiw ?

Presumably, an organization as storied and old as the Madison Scouts derives most (majority?) of its contributions from alumni?  As a former member of the BOD according to your bio, is this accurate?  If not alumni, then who is donating?  And what percentage of donations do come from alumni? 

Thanks.

In order to maximize rehearsal time the Scouts decided not to go to Spring Grove MN (La Crosse Housing Site) last night instead they stayed in  Palmyra WI.  Long ride 179 miles to show site. At least members can take a nap going up and back.   Go Scouts

Maybe they should pull out of shows for 2 weeks & learn a re-hash of their 1975 show.  Worked before...

(History lesson for those that are new - this is exactly what Madison did in 1976.  The 'disco show' learned in off season wasn't working, so they scrapped it & learned a new shoe based on their previous championship show, & ended up 2nd.  But no one was going to beat Blue Devils in 1976).

21 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Maybe they should pull out of shows for 2 weeks & learn a re-hash of their 1975 show.  Worked before...

(History lesson for those that are new - this is exactly what Madison did in 1976.  The 'disco show' learned in off season wasn't working, so they scrapped it & learned a new shoe based on their previous championship show, & ended up 2nd.  But no one was going to beat Blue Devils in 1976).

Penalty for withdrawal today is more severe than it was in 70;s  plus Madison has their home show on  July 8th.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:25 PM, BRASSO said:

I don't disagree with this assessment. I don't pretend to know whats the best way forward for the Madison Scouts here is either. I wish them well.

In 2001, Madison was 11th...  in 2002, Madison was 14th.... then Madison rebounded well and were 8th in 2003.

In 2009, Madison was 15th.... but then rebounded nicely to 10th in 2010.

I have confidence that Madison will rebound once again.... AND.... lets not give up on the 2018 edition of the Madison Scouts either. Its still just June !!

Mmmm... 2003 is one of my favorite Scouts shows.  1998 is still my top.  Still haven't formed an opinion on this year's addition, but I appreciate their new approach.  I thought last year was fun; whatever direction management decides to go, they just need to commit and go whole-hog.