Madison Scouts 2018

1 hour ago, dcikon2 said:

I agree that the organization needs someone who has budget/financing experiencing.  I person who has grant writing experience would be great.  I think souvenir sales may have taken a dip recently since the shows haven't been fan-friendly.  I may be wrong here.

Now, back to the show!  What are some ideas that might help improve scores, such as re-staging the guard or percussion in certain areas, changing or editing a song, etc.

The thing is, people buy souvenirs to tell people they love a certain corps. Their last two shows have been gaudy and weird. So they basically didn’t get either the traditional fan or the cool fan. The cool fan is buying BD and Bluecoats.

They could easily do some little things that wink to tradition, like always forming the Fleur de Lis somewhere in the show, or perhaps breaking out in part of their chorus. Those are the cookies that make them unique. But play your ##### off first, with a hard book, and then worry about style. Find a theme that you can get behind. Maybe it’s a merge between BK, Troppers and Coats.

I don’t know. But Bluecoats could have stuck with “tradition” and never sniffed a medal. They changed in a fun and tasteful way. In a cool way. Cadets, it waits to be seen how they will grow from their past. They will likely finish as low as they have in the last two decades this year. They have not found their voice yet.

I personally think Scouts needs to go coed. There is one Cavaliers and they have managed to pull themselves up. I don’t know that Scouts can do that in enough time as it would take to save the finances of the corps.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I personally think Scouts needs to go coed. There is one Cavaliers and they have managed to pull themselves up. I don’t know that Scouts can do that in enough time as it would take to save the finances of the corps.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but they've already gone co-ed, and it doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

They need to bring in an artistic team with a vision that respects the past but has their eyes on the future, and go from there. Right now, the programming is a bit of a miasma of ideas, and they don't have the type of teaching staff who can recruit and retain the talent who'd otherwise be going to a top 6 corps. Since they don't have the money to hire away big dogs, like Boston did, they'll have to grow the design team internally, which will take dynamic leadership at the program coordinator and artistic director positions. I don't see a quick fix for them, but there are longer term solutions out there, if they can last long enough to implement them.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but they've already gone co-ed, and it doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

Having a single female member is not going "co-ed" in the way MikeRapp is describing it.

I see a lot of theoretical solutions being batted around.  You cannot honestly tell me that you think the current ED and admin team haven't already thought of these concepts, can you?

How about some names?

WHO would you hire as ED?

WHO would you bring as Board President?

WHO would you hire as artistic director/program coordinator?

Without REAL people, this is nothing but an exercise in being an armchair quarterback.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Volt said:

The primary difference is that The Cadets had a solution. What’s yours? You still haven’t answered the question. 

Yeah, I did.  You just seem to not like the answer or something.  

14 hours ago, Kamarag said:

You're not wrong. We've also sent kids to Crossmen (before and during the resurgence), Spirit of Atlanta, and other corps in that range. We have many that even do Jersey Surf (though obviously geography plays a part there). So again, give us a reason to suggest Scouts as an alternative.

I thought my comment did just that?  I guess my follow up question would be...What's been holding you back from suggesting the Scouts in lieu of the other corps you mentioned?  Certainly geography (and likely money) enter in to the equation but, aside from that, what's been holding you back?

35 minutes ago, DCI Nerd Alert said:

I agree. They are turning away half of the population for a dated tradition. One female member is not co-ed. 

First off,the Cavies seem fine with this "dated tradition".

I disagree that, by being all male, the Scouts are "turning away half of the population".

You really need to look into the numbers,as they pertain to participation in this activity. 

If the Scouts were having trouble filling all their slots,opening up the corps to females could be an option.

But I haven't read anywhere that this is an issue.

If not,  then,to me, the 2 reasons   to go co-ed are  economic or societal .

If the organization believes going co-ed would help economically,look into it.

But get an objective study,not just an on line poll,before you pull the trigger.

Any study would have to access the impact of losing a big chunk of  what alumni support you have.

As far as societal,why is wrong to want to maintain the all male tradition in the corps ?

Going co-ed could also reduce the corps talent level.

Are you now going to be required to "slot" a specified number of females,even in they are "out auditioned" by males ?

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Prsmpower4 said:

I thought my comment did just that?  I guess my follow up question would be...What's been holding you back from suggesting the Scouts in lieu of the other corps you mentioned?  Certainly geography (and likely money) enter in to the equation but, aside from that, what's been holding you back?

Honestly, the fact that there are about a dozen better options.