Madison Scouts 2018

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Madison IMO was good place to be in the eyes of kids until 2000. From there it's been hit or miss, mostly miss

I would agree with that, but from 1989-2018 Cavaliers were a better place to be if you wanted the all male experience. At least from a competitive standpoint.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WIS said:

Dear Scout Management.  I’m heartbroken.  I no longer recognize the Madison Scouts that I have been in awe of since the first time seeing the corps in 1972.  I’ve donated annually because I wanted to support that fantastic organization.  I then do another donation to the corps that entertained me the most during the year.  I’m in the tough position of whether I just do the second donation, because I don’t know who the current Scouts are.

If modern day corps experience includes learning leadership skills you can offer an exceptional lesson to your members.  Sometimes providing leadership means admitting to those that report to you that a poor decision was made and you accept responsibility. 

Now give the MMs the opportunity to help figure out how to fix the problem.  Ask their opinions on what can be modified within the parameters you have to work with (time, money, people, etc).  Allow each section to nominate a certain number of MMs from their section to participate in the discussions/actions.  They may not point fingers at other sections but may offer suggestions related to their own section or the overall design of the show.  Listen to what they have to say and allow them to participate in the “fix” – because there definitely is a problem.  You don’t have to feel like you are giving up control, you are providing a significant teaching moment.  Not everyone gets their way, and that includes you.

What do you have to lose?  It doesn’t look like the show is on the right trajectory now. And, unless there is already a firm decision to go co-ed next year you need to do something to renew the cache of being a Madison Scout to attract future members.  And if you do go co-ed the Madison Scouts will no longer exist – it will be a brand new corps.

My “outside the box” two cents worth before I go back to lurking mode.

I’ve watched the show a few times on  you-tube, so my comments are solely based on what I saw and heard there.

Change the underlying theme of the show from the workings of the heart and soul to re-finding your heart and soul.  Allow your female MM to be the one that leads the corps back to their heart and soul.  It was hard to tell where she was on the field.  Get her into something that is more visible.  At some point she should be in white with a red sash.

Music doesn’t seem to be a problem, except you need to expand the music to replace the awful narration at the beginning of the program.  Could you work in a soft version of Memories?  Or modify the narration … “Sometimes in the course of trying to explore a new identity it is possible to lose your heart and soul.  Join us on our journey to finding ourselves again.”

Some of the one-off comments like “Dr. Ellis(?) call me” to “(Founding member) call me” could work. 

If I was seeing correctly, MMs were going through a door in the heart periodically.  When they come back through the door have them in something that resembles a traditional Madison uniform.  That MM has found the Scouts heart and soul, etc.  By the end try to have as many MMs in something “traditional” as possible – even if it is a Scouts t-shirt. 

The heart – OMG – please make it go away, except you need it for my idea in the previous paragraph.  OK, have a few members come out in Blue Star Bob the Builder uniforms and “paint” the heart by throwing tarps over it.  And there needs to be one huge tarp with a fleur-de-lis on it.  Accomplishes including the corps symbol and makes me laugh.

Don't lay down on the field - Scouts don't lay down to anybody.

For next year, explore a little but don’t stray too far from your identity.  And I’m still waiting for a Rat Pack show (hint, hint.)

Put this guy in charge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, WIS said:

Dear Scout Management.  I’m heartbroken.  I no longer recognize the Madison Scouts that I have been in awe of since the first time seeing the corps in 1972.  I’ve donated annually because I wanted to support that fantastic organization.  I then do another donation to the corps that entertained me the most during the year.  I’m in the tough position of whether I just do the second donation, because I don’t know who the current Scouts are.

If modern day corps experience includes learning leadership skills you can offer an exceptional lesson to your members.  Sometimes providing leadership means admitting to those that report to you that a poor decision was made and you accept responsibility. 

Now give the MMs the opportunity to help figure out how to fix the problem.  Ask their opinions on what can be modified within the parameters you have to work with (time, money, people, etc).  Allow each section to nominate a certain number of MMs from their section to participate in the discussions/actions.  They may not point fingers at other sections but may offer suggestions related to their own section or the overall design of the show.  Listen to what they have to say and allow them to participate in the “fix” – because there definitely is a problem.  You don’t have to feel like you are giving up control, you are providing a significant teaching moment.  Not everyone gets their way, and that includes you.

What do you have to lose?  It doesn’t look like the show is on the right trajectory now. And, unless there is already a firm decision to go co-ed next year you need to do something to renew the cache of being a Madison Scout to attract future members.  And if you do go co-ed the Madison Scouts will no longer exist – it will be a brand new corps.

I’ve watched the show a few times on  you-tube, so my comments are solely based on what I saw and heard there.

Change the underlying theme of the show from the workings of the heart and soul to re-finding your heart and soul.  Allow your female MM to be the one that leads the corps back to their heart and soul.  It was hard to tell where she was on the field.  Get her into something that is more visible.  At some point she should be in white with a red sash.

Music doesn’t seem to be a problem, except you need to expand the music to replace the awful narration at the beginning of the program.  Could you work in a soft version of Memories?  Or modify the narration … “Sometimes in the course of trying to explore a new identity it is possible to lose your heart and soul.  Join us on our journey to finding ourselves again.”

Some of the one-off comments like “Dr. Ellis(?) call me” to “(Founding member) call me” could work. 

If I was seeing correctly, MMs were going through a door in the heart periodically.  When they come back through the door have them in something that resembles a traditional Madison uniform.  That MM has found the Scouts heart and soul, etc.  By the end try to have as many MMs in something “traditional” as possible – even if it is a Scouts t-shirt. 

The heart – OMG – please make it go away, except you need it for my idea in the previous paragraph.  OK, have a few members come out in Blue Star Bob the Builder uniforms and “paint” the heart by throwing tarps over it.  And there needs to be one huge tarp with a fleur-de-lis on it.  Accomplishes including the corps symbol and makes me laugh.

For next year, explore a little but don’t stray too far from your identity.  And I’m still waiting for a Rat Pack show (hint, hint.)

I feel exactly the same about the direction the Scouts are headed. Having said that - I will not stop donating because as ridiculous as they look the kids in the corps are still getting the life lessons prior Scouts have. I may never watch another DCI show but Madison gets my donation every year as long as they stay on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WIS said:

And do one Superman pose. 

I love all the non Scout guys throwing out their opinions as to what Madisin show be doing. My question is, is it worth raising $1,000,000 to keep in an activity that is mainly a bunch of well to do pretentious young people just padding their resume and typically dont care about the history of the activity. Drum corps has jumped the shark move it to indoors where wgi belongs

Edited by Q of A
  • Confused 1

On 7/3/2018 at 11:03 AM, Volt said:

I see a lot of theoretical solutions being batted around.  You cannot honestly tell me that you think the current ED and admin team haven't already thought of these concepts, can you?

How about some names?

WHO would you hire as ED?

WHO would you bring as Board President?

WHO would you hire as artistic director/program coordinator?

Without REAL people, this is nothing but an exercise in being an armchair quarterback.

Give it a rest. Do you think this is the place anyone with the wherewithal is going to discuss the particulars?

Edited by madisonsmiley
Clarification.
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 11:38 PM, brianella said:

The fundamental problem is financial, clearly.

That's a symptom. Who is responsible for generating and responsibly managing the money? 

Edited by madisonsmiley
Clarification

28 minutes ago, Q of A said:

I love all the non Scout guys throwing out their opinions as to what Madisin show be doing. My question is, is it worth raising $1,000,000 to keep in an activity that is mainly a bunch of well to do pretentious young people just padding their resume and typically dont care about the history of the activity. Drum corps has jumped the shark move it to indoors where wgi belongs

:unsure: