Madison Scouts 2018

Having seen Scouts, Spirit, Colts, as well as trip to CA seeing Mandarins, Academy, Troopers, I don't think Scouts will ultimately make the top 12 this season. I think its clearly an issue of better designs and levels of performance. I think that while Scouts have been treading water and maintaining, groups like Mandarins and Spirit have made major headway in all areas during that time. Its the reality of the activity and both of those groups have been rebuilding for several years now and are clearly starting to see the competitive results.

I don't think Scouts are necessarily doing anything wrong, it's more that these other groups have just gotten that much better recently. We are seeing much more parity in the middle of World Class right now and the line between 10th and 17th is becoming very, very thin with little room for error. Hit or miss a show design and you could go up or down 4-5 spots any given year. I'm not a huge fan of Scouts uniforms and design this year, but they still have enough talent and teaching to make a push for finals if everything fell into place AND these other corps in their group started to fade. I just don't see it for 2018, but that's my own take. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, c mor said:

Currently, Scouts are closer to the Colts than Spirit.  Scouts are in a prime spot tonight, performing last, to gain some ground.  They have to open the spread from the Colts.  They have to prove they belong in the next higher scoring neighborhood.

Scouts are in a "deficit" of 3-4 points which would be comprised of a certain percentage attainable by cleaning, the other percentage attainable by design improvements.  They have to make appropriate perfect design changes because cleaning only goes so far. 

I know, I know, I have a flair for the obvious - you can all hit your "Duh" buttons now.

:biggrin:

It will be interesting to watch the next three days of Colts vs Scouts, 3 shows.

Yes, tonight's spot as well as site might help.

Come 7/7 they perform back to back in MN. That result imo will seal/solidify their tier for the year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAZZER said:

Yes, tonight's spot as well as site might help.

I think it will actually hurt them. Colts will be compared to Pioneer. Then the intermission is right after them. Madison is performing after a corps that is significantly better than them. While Colts are going to be compared to Pioneer, Madison is going to be compared to Regiment. Colts are going to look a lot better than Pioneer and Madison is going to look worse than Regiment. I think it's a detriment to perform in an order that doesn't put you back-to-back with your closest competition.

Edited by queenanne_1536

5 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think it will actually hurt them. Colts will be compared to Pioneer. Then the intermission is right after them. Madison is performing after a corps that is significantly better than them. While Colts are going to be compared to Pioneer, Madison is going to be compared to Regiment. Colts are going to look a lot better than Pioneer and Madison is going to look worse than Regiment. I think it's a detriment to perform in an order that doesn't put you back-to-back with your closest competition.

Possibly, but my guess is that the "home town" enthusiasm for the WI corps will be palpable, so much that combined with "number management" by adjudication, the space leans to the Scouts, rightly or not.. I don't think the comparing you list necessarily is in total play, as Regiment is clearly a tier above all. Fun to consider what we both are suggesting though!! 

Oh, my...

1 hour ago, JAZZER said:

Possibly, but my guess is that the "home town" enthusiasm for the WI corps will be palpable, so much that combined with "number management" by adjudication, the space leans to the Scouts, rightly or not.. I don't think the comparing you list necessarily is in total play, as Regiment is clearly a tier above all. Fun to consider what we both are suggesting though!! 

See it hurt them. But Blue Stars. I knew they'd catch Regiment from the very first show.

• Thanks 2

On 7/4/2018 at 10:10 PM, HockeyDad said:

Better leadership. Better management.  Which resulted in  better design. By staff that's performing better. Scouts MMs deserve better from the design staff and corps leadership. 

This. It is a darn shame what this administration has done to the once mighty Madison Scouts. Once again its time to clean house and return to the superman suits and badaxx image. Obviously playing the game wasn't the answer. The Scouts would actually be trend setters by going traditional uni & music & DCI would be smart to push the activity in this direction to make it more accessible to the average fan.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

This. It is a darn shame what this administration has done to the once mighty Madison Scouts. Once again its time to clean house and return to the superman suits and badaxx image. Obviously playing the game wasn't the answer. The Scouts would actually be trend setters by going traditional uni & music & DCI would be smart to push the activity in this direction to make it more accessible to the average fan.

hmmmm so who is the average fan?

Edited by GUARDLING

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

hmmmm are you sure you know who the average fan is?

Yes, marching band kids & music majors. The average Joe drum corps fan is gone. Drum Corps is now a high brow activity that has nowhere near the appeal that it did when there were diverse corps identities & accessible music. The negative growth of this activity is undeniable. When I marched there were more drum corps in Illinois & Wisconsin than there is in the entire activity today. Not good.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1