Madison Scouts 2018

6 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The badaxx aspect of this activity that was a key factor in attracting many guys to march in drum corps is long gone. The cool factor is gone. What red blooded Male wants to wear costumes comprised of leggings, sequins & lame'?

no offense and I do mean that. This is probably the most out of touch  statement I have heard and there are lots here sometimes

and!

Oh yes there was nothing like satin shirts, feathers on hats, shiny buttons of years gone by that the average red blooded football , beer :whistle:drinkin, MAN would wear....lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I know Scouts alums want to think that if they only went back to looking and programming as if it's still the 90s, they'd be competitive, but that won't cut it. The 2016 uniform was essentially the 90s uniform with better tailoring: didn't help them make Finals. The 2016 program was re-using music from the 90s; didn't help them make Finals. 

At this point, I have no idea of which comes first in the chicken/egg solutions to putting them back into the mix, but I can guarantee you it's not about going back to old uniforms and old music. It's about doing something cool, something new, and doing it better than everyone else at their end of the playground. But retro ain't gonna do it.

BTW, "average fans" are totally digging Bluecoats, Vanguard, Cavaliers, etc this year. None of them are trying to look and sound like they did 20 years ago.

I agree...going back to old uniforms and old music is not the right way....BUT, the last two years, the Scouts have been failing to build on their identity. Instead, they have torn down that identity and tried to build something new. That is not the right way to do it. 

I don't think most people are asking for them to go back pull stuff from the 70's, 80's and 90's and make a show out of it...They just want a show that has that Madison "swagger" to it. Was there something wrong with their 2015 show? Nobody seems to talk about it, yet that got them a decent placement at finals. It's a great example on how to do something new, and still build their identity. It FELT like a show the Madison Scouts would do and it had that Madison Scouts vibe to it. Why not forget the last 3 years of shows, and build on their identity starting from there? I thought they had a good thing going for them from 2010 - 2015.

When I think of the Scouts, I think of jazz, Broadway, pop...even some classical music. There is a decent range of genres to explore and build a program. I don't want them to go and play Ballet in Brass or Malaguena/Malaga again...I just want them to build on their identity and get that Madison Scouts swagger back. I don't feel it in this year's show...and I feel like it the the biggest thing they are missing. The choreography and style of the show just doesn't match their image they have been building for decades.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

no offense and I do mean that. This is probably the most out of touch  statement I have heard and there are lots here sometimes

and!

Oh yes there was nothing like satin shirts, feathers on hats, shiny buttons of years gone by that the average red blooded football , beer drinkin, MAN would wear....lol

You beat me to it! Lol. I was about to mention plumes and satin blouses. Wasn’t there a  Canadian all male corps that wore short shorts?

As a parent of a former Scout (aged out with them) and a Scouts fan FOR LIFE I keep thinking about how they would be received IF they were putting on the field the shows the Bluecoats have been doing the past few years...provided the talent level was equal of course.  

There would be little talk of going coed, no beachin' about uniforms and instrumentation, their financial picture undoubtedly better, and they would be among the rock stars of DCI.  Think about it...the Madison Scouts doing Tilt, Down Side Up, Jagged Line, or Session 44.  The crowds would be going NUTS for them just as much (maybe more) as they are for Bloo. 

I would think even their most fervent alumni critics would be screaming "THAT'S MY CORPS!"

I have not given up on the possibility that they can make their way back into the modern elite.
Cavies and SCV have done it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

This. It is a darn shame what this administration has done to the once mighty Madison Scouts. Once again its time to clean house and return to the superman suits and badaxx image. Obviously playing the game wasn't the answer. The Scouts would actually be trend setters by going traditional uni & music & DCI would be smart to push the activity in this direction to make it more accessible to the average fan.

you have to play the game well. at one time, they created the rules of the game. but those days are long past

Look at what Boston has done. Spirit followed in their footsteps organization-wise, and look what they're accomplishing now. Maybe there's something worth taking from those two corps' experiences with 'revitalizing' themselves for the modern age

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

The negative growth of the drum corps activity since traditional drum corps music & unis gave way to synth, electronics, narration, prancing & costumes that highlight the Male package prove otherwise. This isn't debatable.

since all of the recent changes you moan about were passed, drum corps has seen growth. imagine that

42 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

I know Scouts alums want to think that if they only went back to looking and programming as if it's still the 90s, they'd be competitive, but that won't cut it. The 2016 uniform was essentially the 90s uniform with better tailoring: didn't help them make Finals. The 2016 program was re-using music from the 90s; didn't help them make Finals. 

At this point, I have no idea of which comes first in the chicken/egg solutions to putting them back into the mix, but I can guarantee you it's not about going back to old uniforms and old music. It's about doing something cool, something new, and doing it better than everyone else at their end of the playground. But retro ain't gonna do it.

BTW, "average fans" are totally digging Bluecoats, Vanguard, Cavaliers, etc this year. None of them are trying to look and sound like they did 20 years ago.

post of the year

35 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Actually, it is debatable. The number of corps attending WC champs since 2004, the first year of amplification, has been pretty consistent. Most of the reduction in the number of competitive corps occurred long before A&E, vocals, total body involvement in visual design/performance and show-specific costuming. It happened during the era of "traditional drum corps music & unis".

True. For historians here, the early years of DCI,.. the 70's, early 80's... had the most numbers of  DCI competing Drum Corps in the DCI era.. the most marchers marching in DCI.... the most shows in the DCI era,... and the largest attendance at DCI shows, and the biggest attendance years at DCI Finals. These facts are not debatable. Now... this does not mean that DCI hasn't appeared to have turned the lower attendance figures around a bit in recent years.. It appears DCI has. Thats not too shabbly when we consider that DCI regionals, nor the DCI Finals Show,  are on either live TV or on TV delayed Broadcast to the general " average Joe " public anymore. Its in paid theatres, paid subscription format now to the remaining or new fan " die hards ". Most agree that the MM talent is better, the staffs and instruction better, the size of Corps bigger, the resources better, the instrumentation broader, more expansive etc... But these things have really not grown the audience base since the early years of DCI. Is that a marketing issue alone of late ? I would have to think its more than just DCI's inability to market itself better. Especially, when we all agree the talent available to the staffs and Corps is unprecedented these days in quality now. But if so, then why no substantive growth in the audience base to match the better talent now available and on full display now, MikD ? Do you ( or others here ) have any explanations for this ? Just curious, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1