Phantom Regiment 2018

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Only thing that makes me nervous about Newburn is that his bio says he was the lead designer for PR's 2015 show, which IMO was pretty cringy.

Also, I'm not sure Newburn was program coordinator for BK's most recent shows. Jed Weeks has been in that position for a few years now, I think since 2014? (Correct me if I'm wrong) But prior to 2014, BK's guard was one of its best-scoring sections.

Newburn was the lead *guard* designer for the 2015 Regiment show. As I understand it, the primary show designer was Jude Boughton.

Newburn joined BK with Marc Sylvester in 2009 and was presumably there through Sylvester's tenure in 2012?

6 hours ago, kdaddy said:

He is indeed no longer listed among the program staff. I consider that to be a significant loss.

Depending on who they hire, this might actually be a win. Lots of people (especially here on DCP) thought Cartwright's design choices last season were downright embarrassing.

• Like 1

I know Dan has been a polarizing figure for some here on DCP, but he defined what it was to be a Regiment hornline member and helped shape that characteristic Regiment sound so many of us fell in love with. And he was The Godfather of the Buicks. (He also bought me my first legal beer when I turned 21 on a free day when we were on tour.) Thank you for your years of service to the corps, and best of luck.

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Would love to watch and listen to just one more of Dan's horn lines create some major "structure damage" (for old time's sake), and maybe re-invigorate the drum corps industry.

Edited by Land_Surfer
  • Like 2

It's a little surprising to me that so many design staff decisions would be made if Dan Farrell had planned to retire, unless this was a really recent decision. I would think these decisions would be made in consultation with a program coordinator. 

6 hours ago, kdaddy said:

It's a little surprising to me that so many design staff decisions would be made if Dan Farrell had planned to retire, unless this was a really recent decision. I would think these decisions would be made in consultation with a program coordinator. 

You're asking things to make sense...

Dan Farrell was present in some capacity ( Marcher, Brass Caption head, or Program Coordinator ) during many, if not most, of the top placing DCI years with the Phantom Regiment. Phantom Regiment  has provided Drum Corps fans some of the most entertaining shows of ALL time. Iconic, unforgettable shows. Shows over the years that got thousands of fans up and out of their seats, cheering loudly in appreciative approval for the show. Shows that not only were huge fan favorites in the years that they were performed, but shows that won medals and/ or titles from the DCI judging community as well. Thus, by any measure, Dan Farrell's influence and  overall body of work throughout the years with the Phantom Regiment was a  huge monumental success. We wish him well in his new endeavors now.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1