Phantom Regiment 2018

On 11/23/2017 at 10:17 AM, Land_Surfer said:

I wish they (PR) would announce their musical selections much earlier so that the public (Phans, et al) can begin familiarizing themselves with recorded versions in order to get a better understanding and/or appreciation for the arrangements and show theme, and ultimately build anticipation and enthusiasm for the show.

It has been argued on here that Regiment has a habit of choosing music that is already quite familiar (either because pieces have been played before or are standards in the classical music literature) and hasn't tried to pursue new avenues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yaaay! Final audition camp means that the members of the 2018 Phantom Regiment have been decided! Brass seems to be lacking people?? Here’s hoping that they can make more with less. 

31 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

Yaaay! Final audition camp means that the members of the 2018 Phantom Regiment have been decided! Brass seems to be lacking people?? Here’s hoping that they can make more with less. 

I imagine they already have brass players contracted from previous camps. 

1 hour ago, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

I wonder if many blue knights hornline vets came to regiment. 

What I've been wondering too.

Then again, pretty much all the rest of BK's staff is still in Denver.

4 hours ago, Who's on first? said:

Given the large East Coast and Deep South snow storm that caused Delta and other airlines to cancel several hundred flights on Friday night/Saturday nationwide, I suspect that there were a number of new recruits effected for Regiment, Cadets, Blue Devils, Pacific Crest and other corps who held camps this weekend. Quite a few auditionees were stranded in airports or on closed interstates.

Also as other posters have mentioned, this was not the only audition camp. Check back in January before adopting a doomsday attitude of depression.

Edited by xandandl

13 hours ago, xandandl said:

Also as other posters have mentioned, this was not the only audition camp. Check back in January before adopting a doomsday attitude of depression.

While this is true, “doing more with less” is hardly an attitude of doomsday depression! I simply hope that they can reverse their trajectory of scores with whatever talent level that tries out using a strong show design that highlights the strengths of the members and musical choices. I feel as though in this era of having a million props on the field and jumping from idea to idea, less is more. 

Edited by Who's on first?

13 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

While this is true, “doing more with less” is hardly an attitude of doomsday depression! I simply hope that they can reverse their trajectory of scores with whatever talent level that tries out using a strong show design that highlights the strengths of the members and musical choices. I feel as though in this era of having a million props on the field and jumping from idea to idea, less is more. 

I agree:  less props and less A.D.D. programming. A few musical numbers well arranged and well performed should fill those 12 minutes.