Phantom Regiment 2018

17 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Looking forward to this. But, it better make the hair on the back of my neck stand up again like 89!

Along a similar line... I was thinking recently about the last Regiment show that demanded a mid-show standing O. I don't recall one in 2010, as much of the "prettier" material was near the end (e.g., the chevron drill was essentially the end of the show, as I recall). I don't remember anything in 2012, and definitely nothing since. I guess it would be 2008.

Performance level matters, but those kinds of moments have to be designed into the show. The top corps get this right. One wish for this group is some sort of coordinated mid-show effort where butts leave seats.

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Along a similar line... I was thinking recently about the last Regiment show that demanded a mid-show standing O. I don't recall one in 2010, as much of the "prettier" material was near the end (e.g., the chevron drill was essentially the end of the show, as I recall). I don't remember anything in 2012, and definitely nothing since. I guess it would be 2008.

Performance level matters, but those kinds of moments have to be designed into the show. The top corps get this right. One wish for this group is some sort of coordinated mid-show effort where butts leave seats.

And not for the concession stands. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I think 2012 was PR’s greatest show since 2008, and while I don’t recall midshow standing ovations, I thought they wanted a gradual build up, and the same was true for “Juliet” in 2011. Early in 2013, “Enigma Variations” wowed New England audiences and I believe had people on their feet, but I recall a more subdued response in Allentown and Indy.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, KVG_DC said:

Maybe a symphony of some sort?

This said, if they go that route, it #### better make the hair on the back of my neck stand up like it did in 89. 

89 was incredible.  I'm not expecting a hair-raiser this time... the promo video suggests something more mellow.  Sounds like a "new" direction for them... sliding into the "new world" of today's DCI.

Symphony No. 9 kind of belongs to Phantom... 

Edited by Ediker
addition

On 5/15/2018 at 3:48 AM, Tim K said:

I think 2012 was PR’s greatest show since 2008, and while I don’t recall midshow standing ovations, I thought they wanted a gradual build up, and the same was true for “Juliet” in 2011. Early in 2013, “Enigma Variations” wowed New England audiences and I believe had people on their feet, but I recall a more subdued response in Allentown and Indy.

I would agree. 2012 was amazing. They've been on a downward trend since. I hope they can rebound this year, and do something totally new. Best of luck to Regiment.

Little snippets of show music and what appears to be the framework of a prop are in the following video:

• Like 3

I'm excited about the show design! In my opinion, the less props the better, however they could add much more to the field presentation given their concept from the show announcement video.