Phantom Regiment 2018

I was able to view the video literally minutes before it was taken down, couldn't even get a second viewing. I agree that this is a new direction for phantom and not quite what I was expecting either- it had it's ups and downs. I was really hoping to get an elegant 2010 vibe from the announcement, but this is not what I found. I applaud that PR put that much on the field playing and moving for an early public performance. I agree with another poster that this does seem like a younger corps with some rough musical moments from the brass, but it does appear that their visual design has greater momentum compared to some years in the past. The video was kind of at an awkward angle but I think there will be some nice moments in the drill based on their uniform design. The props are interesting and will be used well from what I could see in video, I hope they get a backing or something more added to them. I really enjoyed the opener's source music from Mr. Magorium and I think they captured that pretty well with the opener, just needed to fix some staging issues. Not a percussionist here, but I really didn't like all the tenors on the field nor did I think all the trombones added that much either, these both felt like design choices where they said "well, other corps are doing it so why not us?" The biggest cringe worthy moment personally was at the start of the ballad with the electric guitar, Phantom's identity in my head versus what I was hearing clashed and just really erked me.  Overall, I like what they are doing and think that they will tweak this program to make it more phan phriendly come August.

Mod edit: suggesting a location for finding videos not released by DCI and their member corps goes against our media policy.

Edited by Toby
Removed search for video information
  • Like 1

It's such a Broken Arrow design, and I can't stand their shows. As long as Cartwright is designing I don't think I can enjoy Phantom. Brass sounds better though.

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

It's such a Broken Arrow design, and I can't stand their shows. As long as Cartwright is designing I don't think I can enjoy Phantom. Brass sounds better though.

Cartwright has nothing to do with this year’s show.

14 minutes ago, Tpet304 said:

Cartwright has nothing to do with this year’s show.

Really? Well still feels like it to me. 

It is much better than y'all are giving it credit. I did only see a low angle video, but I think the show has potential to keep them competitive with Blue Stars and Blue Knights.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

but I think the show has potential to keep them competitive with Blue Stars and Blue Knights.

This potential result you mention may not fly with alumni and PR fans.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Just now, Ghost said:

This potential result you mention may not fly with alumni and PR fans.

Very true, but this corps hasn't been in contention for the top half of finals in a while, 5 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xandandl said:

Intonation leaves a lot to be desired

Edited by EricS

I just watched the videos, and I'm really digging the show. It's got some dirt musically, but the drill looks solid and they are going for more wow moments it seems. HOLY TONS OF TENORS!!!!!

Edited by Huntington Mallets
  • Like 1