Phantom Regiment 2018

I’m not for sure why there are so many negative comments, but after seeing what they have on the field thus far, I couldn’t be more excited to see where the show goes this year. From what I can tell, we are getting a much better visual package from Phantom this year. And I am definitely a fan of the music too. I look forward to seeing them later in the season!

• Like 2

Hmmm ... this just popped up on my Twitter feed. The poll indicates folks want PR to change their name. (If you're confused, Google IHOP or IHOB.) 58% yes.

Edited by CrownBariDad

57 minutes ago, Tpet304 said:

I’m not for sure why there are so many negative comments, but after seeing what they have on the field thus far, I couldn’t be more excited to see where the show goes this year. From what I can tell, we are getting a much better visual package from Phantom this year. And I am definitely a fan of the music too. I look forward to seeing them later in the season!

I tend to agree. While the (brass) corps seems a bit younger I find the show design much better than the recent ones - it also feels like they have a good amount of it out on the field for June 10th. Guard is staged well. Books are interesting. Should be a good summer for them IMO

Woah. Found the video of the show... wow. So much cleaner compared to last year at this time... and I actually FEEL something. After listening to Turandot this morning, I knew that emotion is what last year was missing, at least the regal and powerful emotion that is signature Phantom Regiment. This music is fantastic, and while I definitely think it’s not going to be anywhere close to medal contention, I’m happy with this show. I’m sad about the loss of the helmets... but I’ll get over it. Music is (mostly) why I really enjoy drum corps. 

Also. I found a recording of Amazing Grace from Saturday night. No intonation issues to speak of... now attacks weren’t nessecarily together and the arrangement seemed SLIGHTLY different than what I’ve heard before, but I think the worries are blown WAY out of proportion. 

[edit: whelp, DCI pulled the recording of Amazing Grace even?! Dang. Harsh.]

Edited by Who's on first?
  • Like 3

Overall, I like the music and what I see so far. It’s super dirty right now but has a lot of potential, IMO.

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

Woah. Found the video of the show... wow. So much cleaner compared to last year at this time... and I actually FEEL something. After listening to Turandot this morning, I knew that emotion is what last year was missing, at least the regal and powerful emotion that is signature Phantom Regiment. This music is fantastic, and while I definitely think it’s not going to be anywhere close to medal contention, I’m happy with this show. I’m sad about the loss of the helmets... but I’ll get over it. Music is (mostly) why I really enjoy drum corps. 

Also. I found a recording of Amazing Grace from Saturday night. No intonation issues to speak of... now attacks weren’t nessecarily together and the arrangement seemed SLIGHTLY different than what I’ve heard before, but I think the worries are blown WAY out of proportion. 

[edit: whelp, DCI pulled the recording of Amazing Grace even?! Dang. Harsh.]

Here, here!! I for one think they sound WAAAYYY better than they did at this point last year, probably better than they did in early July. Much more clear sense of pedagogy and uniformity of tone, balance, pitch, etc. I think folks complaining about tuning have no idea what it's like to play on a cold night in the Midwest after 12 hours of blowing your face off. Go listen to Crown and BD, they have tuning issues as well in early June..  That's very minor compared to the clear improvement already in quality and clarity of the ensemble. 

I do think there are a few concerns with the written book between percussion and brass at times, where percussion writing muddies up the brass clarity, but overall its a MUCH stronger product already than what I heard from them in early July last season. They will keep growing and tweaking and I think we might just get some of that Phantom sound and energy back this season thats been sorely missing for a few years now. Good luck and SUTA!!!

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 3

It's performance day! Music in The Park is later this afternoon. The weather is looking great! Never forget the great pour of 2014...

• Like 1