Phantom Regiment 2018

somebody is live broadcasting concert in the park on Facebook right now

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

Chock full o' notes!

with weird transitions...

are we really hearing the bass synth supporting those dozen tubas?

I don't like the rear view of the uniforms at all when the mms turned to get back into the arc.

Somebody give that soloist some affirmation and remind the person tomorrow is another day. 

Without the helmets we see how really young this corps is.

That was fantastic! I am loving this year’s book! And the hornline sounded very strong. I repeat. I am very excited to see where this goes!

• Like 4

many shows have caught my cerebral attention including this one, but i think that this new world is the first 2018 show to earn a place in my heart. well done phantom. can't wait to see where this goes and can't wait to see it in person in a month and a half!

• Like 1

A couple early thoughts...

- I agree with another poster that I don't understand the theme yet, but I do like the musical selections overall. And I think this rep will more easily fit the This New World theme compared to last year's rep fitting an erotic ghost theme. 

- I think the flourishes early on by the soloists in the New World ballad are over the top. I'd rather the ballad start in a more traditional way, then mix it up a bit.

- I previously hoped for some standing O-inducing effect. Not sure it's here - I guess it depends on the visual. 

- They do indeed sound young.

I think the musical writing is a HUGE improvement over the past several years, but I'm not sure how this hornline is going to do. It sounds really rough to me, standing still, but that could just be the quality of the recording. But, then again, their hornline was really rough last year, so we will see.

I think the uniforms are a mistake. They are not modern enough, but they are way better than Crown's :)

Really like the musicality of the show. Will be interesting to see the visual program. 

If the visual is a step up this show has some legs, IMO. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

The show certainly has a lot of meat and potatoes, some interesting arrangements, but it is a but too spastic for my taste.

It is currently lacking emotional resolve, in my opinion. It is early season, so hopefully they will be embellishing some of those melodies a bit and adding some tags to add more climax. I really love the tease of Finale from New World. I just hate that it's a tease and abruptly stops short. Let's hope that's a placeholder to add an Epic late Season moment down the line. Just my early thoughts, you know how that goes. 

There is a lot going on in this show, very interested to see how it develops. Looks to be a stronger offering than last year.

Best of luck to the corps this season!

• Like 1