Phantom Regiment 2018

42 minutes ago, Ms.L said:

Or you need to see it live.

whatever!  they are wrong

Edited by EricS

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Looking at the uniform reveal pictures, they had on a black helmet.

Last night the Drum Major had on a black helmet.

Last night during the broadcast Will Pitts said something to effect of "not having the helmet, just for the helmet's sake".

Does anyone know if they had intended to use the black helmet,then dropped it or if they didn't intend to use it all along ?

As far as I know, the helmets for the whole corps will be in use for parades and likely finals retreat. It seems as though they intended to not use the helmet for the show and opted for the hoodies instead (lightweight, less mobility problems, prop usage, etc.) Personally I think the show could benefit from helmets if they would even entertain the idea of using them in a dress rehearsal. They could wear the helmets for a bit, and then transition into the hoodie along with the different musical and visual passages in the show, or something to that effect. 

I liked this years show, at least much better than last year. Music is much better and I think Will is maybe settling in better. Like every other corps, now that the bones are on the field they can start to develop the show theme. They use the hoodies only between sections which Will explained was to be the "Cloak" travelers wear/wore. I think now they can develop the story for each "world." At least I hope they have something planned. In the past Phantom has done an excellent job of that, hope they will this year.

I also liked that the battery and trombones played in the on field pit and some other staging.

I don't see them using the helmets except for parades etc. as others have stated.

Impressions from the tour premiere: 

This is definitely a "new world" and journey for PR this summer, and they are all in! Musically I'm already in love with the show as I am just about every year, but it was good to see them take risks and try things that just haven't yet been done by PR. I will say that if they were going to wear hoodies they should've done it last year for Phantasm! Overall I like the color contrast of the guard and corps uniforms. Going back to co-ed guard was one of their best decisions because it allowed them to do so much more with the choreography, which I was really pleased with. The tenor feature was fun, the props weren't too cumbersome, and brass just have a majestic sound which is great. Competitively they are about where they were the past two seasons, but there is a lot of potential for this show to generate some emotional impact with the usual PR flair of a kick-halt or dare I say..wedge! 

• Like 3

My initial impression was that they are starting out with more drill on the field and performing the music better out-of-the-gate than in the last several years. So hard to tell anything definitively in a cavernous covered stadium.

posted from the DrumScorps app

9 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

So hard to tell anything definitively in a cavernous covered stadium.

posted from the DrumScorps app

My thoughts exactly.  I attended three different corps rehearsals.  I felt all three sounded much better/bigger outside than they did in Ford Field.