Phantom Regiment 2018

On 6/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

aaaaaand one of brass moments I really liked was already cut. :sad:

the huge pipe organ they were using for the back and forth with the brass line just couldn't be moved off the field fast enough in DiCarlo time plus it required another equipment truck.

Phantom!!! This is their best show they've put out since Turandot, seriously. No creepy dolls, no unncessary killings, no narrow storylines. The music arranging still isn't quite what it used to be, but it's still one hell of an improvement from the past few years. Hard to tell the visual package from the video I saw but the integration of the guard with the corps is much better (the guard feels less like a separate entity) and the props seem to have some thought behind them. 

I can't say I really understand what they are going for in regards to the theme of the show, but I'm sure they have a plan in mind to make that clearer as the season goes by. I'm really happy with what I just saw, it really seems like a promising season for them 

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Phantom!!! This is their best show they've put out since Turandot, seriously. No creepy dolls, no unncessary killings, no narrow storylines. The music arranging still isn't quite what it used to be, but it's still one hell of an improvement from the past few years. Hard to tell the visual package from the video I saw but the integration of the guard with the corps is much better (the guard feels less like a separate entity) and the props seem to have some thought behind them. 

I can't say I really understand what they are going for in regards to the theme of the show, but I'm sure they have a plan in mind to make that clearer as the season goes by. I'm really happy with what I just saw, it really seems like a promising season for them 

Agreed and well said. Looking forward to the show's growth.Good Luck, PR!

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Agreed. I don't understand all that is going on but I don't care. The book and performance levels seem better than the past 5 years so I'm looking forward to what this group does this year.

• Like 2

I'm sure this has been covered, but I don't necessarily feel like digging. When/how was Wes Cartwright let go as the designer in chief, or was it simply an amicable parting of ways, etc.? Don't get me wrong, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who preferred last year's design to this one, and I find his stuff to be quite tired, so it overall seems to be a smart move....just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this, as I was under the impression that 2017 was to begin a long partnership/new era with Cartwright bringing his style to Phantom. This year's show certainly rings much truer to Phantom's identity, so it seems like they've created a nice aesthetic with the current design team...just curious as to what transpired to end the short-lived Cartwright-Phantom collaboration of last year.

30 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I'm sure this has been covered, but I don't necessarily feel like digging. When/how was Wes Cartwright let go as the designer in chief, or was it simply an amicable parting of ways, etc.? Don't get me wrong, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who preferred last year's design to this one, and I find his stuff to be quite tired, so it overall seems to be a smart move....just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this, as I was under the impression that 2017 was to begin a long partnership/new era with Cartwright bringing his style to Phantom. This year's show certainly rings much truer to Phantom's identity, so it seems like they've created a nice aesthetic with the current design team...just curious as to what transpired to end the short-lived Cartwright-Phantom collaboration of last year.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:25 PM, EricS said:

Guard uniforms -  BIG mistake. They literally disappear on the field. 

On 6/22/2018 at 12:52 AM, Ms.L said:

I thought the opposite.  I thought the color was striking and elegant. At least from my view in the stadium I thought they were gorgeous.

Certainly not the most difficult color to view on the field, but an interesting choice. Remember Crown's 2009 green guard outfits and corp shakos? :P 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

Certainly not the most difficult color to view on the field, but an interesting choice. Remember Crown's 2009 green guard outfits and corp shakos? :P 

I'm more worried about the hoodies than the color of the guard unis. The uniform is regal and the hoodies look sloppy. A comparison would be wearing a baseball cap with a tux or formal gown. Just doesn't fit. Some of the hoods cover the eyebrows (like the helmets), others show the forehead, some show some hair and others fall off completely in the  middle of the show. No uniformity. I get it that PR is trying to 'keep up', but certainly there is a better way to do that.

• Like 4