Phantom Regiment 2018

36 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I'm not sure $$$ is the reason for the Regiments current programming choices, though it certainly could be. The $$$ is more related to the ancillary products associated with the program (i.e. props, uniforms, etc). However the musical side of it (IMO) is less about $$$$ and more about trying to keep an identity than being competitive. 

The idea of $$$ isn't to buy props or uniforms. It's to buy a design staff that can produce a competitive concept. 

I'm not sure that $$$ is necessary for a competitive concept, but Boston, for example, has perhaps shown that it's sufficient. 

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

The idea of $$$ isn't to buy props or uniforms. It's to buy a design staff that can produce a competitive concept. 

I'm not sure that $$$ is necessary for a competitive concept, but Boston, for example, has perhaps shown that it's sufficient. 

$$$ is about keeping a corps solvent. Neglecting either of the things above with insufficient funds will tank a corps in more ways than one. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Not that I am an expert in this area but, I certainly would tend to believe that (seeing all the crap on the field nowadays) there is a considerable part of the budget allocated to 'other than staff' expenses (props, new uniforms (again), enhanced electronics, etc?).

Look at the props Regiment has. Unless we were told what they portray, I doubt anyone would have known. They are simplistic in design and (IMO) are another example of the corps sticking a toe in the pool as opposed to doing a cannonball.  

Someone indicated earlier that the difference in staff compensation isn't that great. So what keeps the better arrangers/staff where they are or what causes them to leave? IMO, it is as previously stated, reluctance by the organization to play the game and go 'all in'. Why would you want to stay with an organization that (apparently) stifles creativity and imagination?

42 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Someone indicated earlier that the difference in staff compensation isn't that great. So what keeps the better arrangers/staff where they are or what causes them to leave? IMO, it is as previously stated, reluctance by the organization to play the game and go 'all in'. Why would you want to stay with an organization that (apparently) stifles creativity and imagination?

That might be true, so perhaps Boston is an exception, as they unloaded the checkbook on their design staff. Otherwise, I can see why the percussion guys and brass instruction staff would want to leave Cadets, but why would the coordinator, guard, and drill designers leave Crown for a 12th place corps? A new challenge, maybe?

So that would leave "stifling creativity and imagination" as a primary source of Regiment's problem, though theoretically that would have gone away when the program coordinator left after last season? If alums are holding the organization back, then my response would be "fine - then fill the bank account." 

21 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

That might be true, so perhaps Boston is an exception, as they unloaded the checkbook on their design staff. Otherwise, I can see why the percussion guys and brass instruction staff would want to leave Cadets, but why would the coordinator, guard, and drill designers leave Crown for a 12th place corps? A new challenge, maybe?

So that would leave "stifling creativity and imagination" as a primary source of Regiment's problem, though theoretically that would have gone away when the program coordinator left after last season? If alums are holding the organization back, then my response would be "fine - then fill the bank account." 

I think you just need to look at the results. I don't believe it is the alums that are holding the corps back creatively (certainly not this alum). It seems that corps is content to not contend for a top spot. Will Pitts is listed as the Program Coordinator so, this falls on him. He's still relatively new so perhaps they need someone else in that position and let Will handle the arranging duties. 

• Like 1

So.... it’s been quite a while since anyone commented on how the corps & the show are progressing.  Any updates after last night on that regard?  Looking forward to seeing Regiment in San Antonio & wishing them the best!

Harvey

3 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

So.... it’s been quite a while since anyone commented on how the corps & the show are progressing.  Any updates after last night on that regard?  Looking forward to seeing Regiment in San Antonio & wishing them the best!

Harvey

Much improved from the beginning of the season. They are much cleaner and you’re starting to hear some energy that wasn’t present before. It’s still rough around the edges and they still need to work on achieving clarity on the visual side, especially since the guard is in teal

Since I won’t see them live this year, I watched them on YouTube. I haven’t watched any other corps’ videos so I can’t compare it to anyone in their scoring bloc. 

I don’t really notice a through line to follow. Design just doesn’t do anything for me. I can tell it was designed by someone who works with HS bands. The show kinda just stays one note.