Phantom Regiment 2018

2 hours ago, Dcbae!23 said:

I have such a hard time believing this corps is sitting in 12th right now. No way is that a 12th place show, no way is that 12th place talent, no way is the design that 'bad'. It's a beautiful show and they perform it beautifully. Wow

Well, it is. GE isn’t the caliber to propel them above 9th. The show doesn’t really go anywhere. I get the sense of wonderment they’re trying to portray but it’s just one note. Still very dirty visually. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I saw them live in BA and then on several broadcasts. While I don't think the guard color choices "pop," I haven't found them to be as invisible as a lot of others on here.

Thank you! I'm so TIRED of this criticism. I'm beginning to think some people are maybe color blind. I agree with you that the color doesn't  necessarily pop, but I still find the combination with the props really beautiful. Teal and copper is a rich look and says "old world" to me. Old world colors with a new world minimalist design. I kinda love it.  

Obviously I am the sole fan of their color palette. Oh well....nice to read something other than "why is the guard the same color as the field?" (for the 100th time)

Which it isn't.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, POSITIVenrgy said:

Thank you! I'm so TIRED of this criticism. I'm beginning to think some people are maybe color blind. I agree with you that the color doesn't  necessarily pop, but I still find the combination with the props really beautiful. Teal and copper is a rich look and says "old world" to me. Old world colors with a new world minimalist design. I kinda love it.  

Obviously I am the sole fan of their color palette. Oh well....nice to read something other than "why is the guard the same color as the field?" (for the 100th time)

Which it isn't.

Really a beautiful combination! So aesthetically pleasing, and super refreshing in the modern era of "if it's not blatantly obvious, it's not right" drum corps

• Like 3

9 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

Well, it is. GE isn’t the caliber to propel them above 9th. The show doesn’t really go anywhere. I get the sense of wonderment they’re trying to portray but it’s just one note. Still very dirty visually. 

"The show doesn’t really go anywhere. "

This.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tim_brandt said:

"The show doesn’t really go anywhere. "

This.

I agree. It's definitely a step in the right direction, but I can understand why they are placing where they are. It is a 10th-12th place show design this year. I don't see them in 12th place (they are not, only 9 corps have beaten them head-to-head this year, which puts them exactly where they placed in Atlanta - 10th). It's possible Mandarins will catch them, but it's possible they won't. Same with Spirit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dcbae!23 said:

I have such a hard time believing this corps is sitting in 12th right now. No way is that a 12th place show, no way is that 12th place talent, no way is the design that 'bad'. It's a beautiful show and they perform it beautifully. Wow

At the Birmingham show, I was stunned by the quality of the shows from top to bottom.  PR has much better than 12th place talent; the show design is holding them back.

Of course, they went on right after Mandarins, which really wasn't fair.  The Mandarins' talent is not on par with PR, but they have a brilliantly designed show and they are getting everything they can out of it.

• Like 6

I think we have quite a few folks on here that are taking the designer criticisms a little too seriously. Nobody has said a single word about the performers -- in fact most have been very complimentary about the performers. 

Unfortunately, the fact remains:  this is a very poorly designed show. From music to guard, from props to electronics, it is poorly designed. 

Now again, it's a hard pill to swallow that our beloved Phantom Regiment has fallen into 12th place (respectively), but it is quite obvious from the design aspect. 

If Phantom's Board were smart, next season would be either a) a lot of new designer faces; or b) a lot of "seasoned" designers assisting these younger designers.  The most crucial of them being Will Pitts, goodness that music book just isn't up to par -- my best friend said it best the other day -- he said, "You know when you buy the generic cereal in the big bags? And it tastes almost like the real stuff... but isn't quite the real stuff? That's Will Pitts' writing"   :8_laughing: 

Not quite the "real" Phantom, but by-gosh they're trying to be. LOL.

(and I'll say it again... those PERFORMERS are killing it... nothing but positive vibes to them!)

• Like 6

Head to head they haven’t placed that low; this is ranking them based on scores from different shows/panels. I still don’t think they’ll drop below 10th but who knows?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

I think we have quite a few folks on here that are taking the designer criticisms a little too seriously. Nobody has said a single word about the performers -- in fact most have been very complimentary about the performers. 

Unfortunately, the fact remains:  this is a very poorly designed show. From music to guard, from props to electronics, it is poorly designed. 

Now again, it's a hard pill to swallow that our beloved Phantom Regiment has fallen into 12th place (respectively), but it is quite obvious from the design aspect. 

If Phantom's Board were smart, next season would be either a) a lot of new designer faces; or b) a lot of "seasoned" designers assisting these younger designers.  The most crucial of them being Will Pitts, goodness that music book just isn't up to par -- my best friend said it best the other day -- he said, "You know when you buy the generic cereal in the big bags? And it tastes almost like the real stuff... but isn't quite the real stuff? That's Will Pitts' writing"   :8_laughing: 

Not quite the "real" Phantom, but by-gosh they're trying to be. LOL.

(and I'll say it again... those PERFORMERS are killing it... nothing but positive vibes to them!)

Agreed, but Jim Wren wasn’t the great Jim Wren when he first started writing either. Will Pitts will mature as an arranger and do a hell of a job at Regiment.

I hope....

• Like 2