Phantom Regiment 2018

7 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

If Phantom's Board were smart, next season would be either a) a lot of new designer faces; or b) a lot of "seasoned" designers assisting these younger designers.  

While I don't disagree, the offseason just saw turnover in drill and guard design and program coordination. Sticking with bad design just for the sake of continuity probably isn't the answer, but perhaps whoever is making the hiring decisions isn't doing a good job in the first place. 

That said... what about the design staff for Academy? They're doing a Regiment-esque show with a much more effective visual design. Jaime Holly's primary gig is BD, but a PR side gig doesn't seem like a stretch. Michael Klesch may not be interested in PR (as far as I know, dismissed at Regiment after 00 and 01 in favor of JD Shaw). 

Would a guy like JD Shaw come back to Regiment as Program Coordinator and Brass Arranger for $50K? That's $500 from 100 people. If you find 99 others, I'll contribute.

• Like 1

The last time Phantom placed 10th was 1986 and before that 1975!  I just can't fathom them in this spot...just can't...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fireshane1 said:

Agreed, but Jim Wren wasn’t the great Jim Wren when he first started writing either. Will Pitts will mature as an arranger and do a hell of a job at Regiment.

I hope....

As far as I recall, Phantom Regiment has never fallen out of top 12 have they? Which means Jim Wren's music scores were already performing better than Will's. While I agree, PItts will most likely "mature as an arranger", but at what cost? Not sure if Phantom Regiment wants to be 13th...14th...15th... while they wait for Will to mature.

Sounds harsh, but it's a dog-eat kinda world.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Would a guy like JD Shaw come back to Regiment as Program Coordinator and Brass Arranger for $50K? That's $500 from 100 people. If you find 99 others, I'll contribute.

JD aint coming back for #### - LOL. He's got his bread & butter, he's got his cake and eating it too, he's living high on the hog, he's.... need I go on.... all of that at Santa Clara Vanguard.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BostonLUck said:

JD aint coming back for #### - LOL. He's got his bread & butter, he's got his cake and eating it too, he's living high on the hog, he's.... need I go on.... all of that at Santa Clara Vanguard.

I bring it up because he's an alum (plus $$$).

You could have said the same thing after 2008 and Regiment (he left three years later).

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I bring it up because he's an alum (plus $$$).

You could have said the same thing after 2008 and Regiment (he left three years later).

That is true; however, 2008 (and I'm going to be stoned for this), wasn't the "Champion" show we all want it to be. It was very obvious that PR wasn't strong enough in GE or Visual to win, and that it would require the Music Ensemble & Music Percussion judges to inflate Phantom's score (and sink BD's score) just enough to ensure a WIN (barely). Had all things been.... (my second stoning)... more accurate, 2008 was a solid 2nd, possibly 3rd place corps. Now -- HOLD ON -- I cried & screamed "I AM SPAAAAAARTACUS" with all you other goobers, so I loved that show too.

So, now that I'm bloody and bruised from all the soon to be hate, even JD knew 2008 was somewhat a fluke. 

But now, he's got a real good thing at SCV, he's got the Phantom staff, and all that West Coast talent. Not to mention, a corps that willing to go more edgy and modern. Phantom prefers... well...Dvorak, LOL. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

So, now that I'm bloody and bruised from all the soon to be hate, even JD knew 2008 was somewhat a fluke. 

Hmmm.  Give the quality of PRs shows leading up to 2008, calling it a fluke seems more than just a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1

Looking at the Atlanta recap, Phantom was 10th or 11th in every single subcaption, except Percussion Content (9th) and Guard/Sub - Guard/Ach and Total Guard (15th), pushing them down to 12th in total Visual.  Right now, it's the Mandarins *really* low music scores that are keeping them from passing Phantom.

Mike

(That said, even coming in 10th in Guard wouldn't have caught Phantom up to BK.  :(  )

• Like 1