Phantom Regiment 2018

After seeing PR in St. Louis, their show is boring again for at least the 3rd year in a row. I say this not to bag on the kids giving their best effort, but to point out how dull they've become.

There were no "ahhh" moments or chill inducing moments for me.......and as a former member its painful to watch how far they are falling. year by year lower down the status pole of DCI.

If something doesn't change they will be on the outside of the Top 12 sooner than later. Saying PR is fading is beating a dead horse, and I don't' post much but I do enjoy reading the commentary etc. I wanted to echo the sentiments of many who call for change for PR.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

I’ve always been curious, what if a corps design team let the mm’s play a larger role in the creation of a show concept? They could do things like have a brainstorming session with campers for possible show concepts/themes, present a number of ideas and vote on it, heck, even have a suggestions box (or email) all season! I feel like this could lead to a design in which the members are more committed to, while the staff is still able to refine it and keep it to a realistic level. 

As someone who's very passionate about show design (especially the musical side of things), I always thought this would be a great idea for basically any marching ensemble - drum corps, marching bands, and indoor units alike. There just need to be enough limits set so that the MMs can have their voices heard without feeling the need to hijack their design basis (as much as I'd love to see an all-memes show in the marching arts, let's leave that to the bands that don't compete for scores).

I think this idea should be discussed further in a new thread.

16 hours ago, Dcbae!23 said:

I have such a hard time believing this corps is sitting in 12th right now. No way is that a 12th place show, no way is that 12th place talent, no way is the design that 'bad'. It's a beautiful show and they perform it beautifully. Wow

11th any better?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Dog said:

After seeing PR in St. Louis, their show is boring again for at least the 3rd year in a row. I say this not to bag on the kids giving their best effort, but to point out how dull they've become.

I agree. It's not a very exciting product this year at all. But, from a musical standpoint I really loved 2015 and 2016. I went to their rehearsal the day of Stanford in 2015, and I just couldn't believe I was watching a corps I thought would place 7th or 8th at finals. They sounded so good. The activity has gotten so much better. The time for playing catch up is over, these designers need to think ahead from now on.

It seems to me they are headed down the same path as Madison. It's heartbreaking to see with Madison, and I will feel the same way if Regiment slips out of finals. These two were the first top 5 corps I ever saw (in 1984). Both have a special place in my heart. SUTA! 

3 hours ago, jthomas666 said:

Hmmm.  Give the quality of PRs shows leading up to 2008, calling it a fluke seems more than just a bit of a stretch.

That's fair. I guess what I meant was JD, and most everyone in the DCI world, knew that the win in 2008 (however wonderful) was really more like a solid 2nd / 3rd place finish, and that a real hands-down, guns-a-blazing, win wasn't likely.

Also, from what I've heard from PR Alum is that there was quite a bit of internal staff drama, which eventually pushed JD away. Whether or not that's true, I can't swear by it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:
3 hours ago, jthomas666 said:

Yeah fluke isn't the right word for that, but I'm still of the opinion the judges let emotions cloud their judgments a little that night

LOL. I'd go with cloud their judgments a lot that night... but I'd take a show that reaches me emotionally, over a show that is technically flawless any day. Unfortunately, the sheets aren't designed that way :-(  well... except in 2008 (haha)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BostonLUck said:

That's fair. I guess what I meant was JD, and most everyone in the DCI world, knew that the win in 2008 (however wonderful) was really more like a solid 2nd / 3rd place finish, and that a real hands-down, guns-a-blazing, win wasn't likely.

Also, from what I've heard from PR Alum is that there was quite a bit of internal staff drama, which eventually pushed JD away. Whether or not that's true, I can't swear by it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I thought Regiment had a shot at winning in June 2008. That show was solid in its design, and being that they almost won in 2006, I knew they had the talent to win. Do I think they deserved it? Yes. Had BD won would I have thought they deserved it? Yes. Regiment '06 - '08 is my single favorite period for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tim_brandt said:

Mandarins have momentum on their side and will surely have the benefit of the crowd in Indianapolis. You can say that doesn't matter, but I've been following drum corps for too long not to feel that intangible 'it' that happens with fan favorite drum corps and how it pushes them over the top and bleeds into all captions. '08 Regiment comes to mind.

I think that LOS crowd is gonna be hyping Mandarins and it's very difficult if not impossible to see this subtle PR show overcoming that. Just my opinion.

I see Mandies in 10th, we'll see how it shakes out.

I've only seen Phantom in person a couple of times (2005 and 2008) when they came out west. But, I recall that those shows moved and engaged the audience in different ways. The 2005 Gershwin show was a joy to watch, while the 2008 Spartacus show was just gripping from end to end. I also respected that Phantom steered clear of the gimmickry that was starting to take hold at that time.

The '08 BD show looked like a much more difficult show, but they got too cute and high concept for their own good. It probably should have won just looking at that show objectively in a vacuum, but Phantom's show was such an emotional ballbuster that it couldn't be denied. And the sentiment behind earning Phantom's 1st outright title couldn't be denied either.

Just watching audience videos on Youtube, this year's Phantom show seems, as you said, flat. It's well executed, but something's missing. And as a side note, the props seem more in the way than something that adds to the show.

What I've seen so far of the Mandarins, their show is definitely not as clean. But, it grabs the audience's attention and demands notice. The intangibles are all there.

Edited by Woochifer
  • Like 3