Phantom Regiment 2018

15 hours ago, tim_brandt said:

Corps that capture that electricity I believe deserve any bump it brings them. As you said, it's the intangible and what this activity is all about, moving the audience.

That's a little bit of a stretch; however, I don't disagree with your thinking... I too would rather the emotional / entertaining show to win... but the scoring platform isn't designed with goosebumps & tears in mind. 

Which brings us back to: 2008 was a very, very strong 2nd place show, that got bumped into 1st by an overly emotional music panel. 

(and an overly emotional me screaming "I am Spartacus" in the stands)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BostonLUck said:

Which brings us back to: 2008 was a very, very strong 2nd place show, that got bumped into 1st by an overly emotional music panel. 

(and an overly emotional me screaming "I am Spartacus" in the stands)

We see this a lot on DCP. Armchair judges who aren't qualified to judge one caption much less all simultaneously, and most from a video at that. I've never understood the need for people to try to take a great achievement away from others. Is it jealousy? Were they in a rival corps? I don't know. But, why can't they keep it to themselves? What do they get out of vocalizing it? It can't be changed. RE: you, what is your basis for thinking they deserved 2nd. On finals night they:

Won GE (which I happily to agree with). BD was 2nd in GE (I agree there too). Although had it been flipped, I wouldn't have disagreed.

Were tied for 3rd in Visual (which I also agree with). BD won Visual (right on the money).

They were 2nd in Brass (right on the mark there, too). BD deservedly won brass.

They won Percussion (I don't know diddly about percussion, but considering their track record at the time in percussion, and the fact that their caption head is the King of Percussion, I see no reason to question that). BD tied for 3rd in Quarters (a three way tie), and Semis a two way tie (0.1 ahead of 5th), so a 5th in percussion at finals is totally plausible.

So what do you think they were overscored in? Or what was BD underscored in? If you're going to repeatedly say they should have placed 2nd, please be more specific.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was there in '08 too, and didn't see it as a second place show at all.  Their music program was absolutely excellent - I definitely had them as BD's equal those last few nights, no matter what had happened earlier in the summer.

Mike

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

We see this a lot on DCP. Armchair judges who aren't qualified to judge one caption much less all simultaneously, and most from a video at that. I've never understood the need for people to try to take a great achievement away from others. Is it jealousy? Were they in a rival corps? I don't know. But, why can't they keep it to themselves? What do they get out of vocalizing it? It can't be changed. RE: you, what is your basis for thinking they deserved 2nd. On finals night they:

Won GE (which I happily to agree with). BD was 2nd in GE (I agree there too). Although had it been flipped, I wouldn't have disagreed.

Were tied for 3rd in Visual (which I also agree with). BD won Visual (right on the money).

They won Percussion (I don't know diddly about percussion, but considering their track record at the time in percussion, and the fact that their caption head is the King of Percussion, I see no reason to question that). BD tied for 3rd in Quarters (a three way tie), and Semis a two way tie (0.1 ahead of 5th), so a 5th in percussion at finals is totally plausible.

So what do you think they were overscored in? Or what was BD underscored in? If you're going to repeatedly say they should have placed 2nd, please be more specific.

Playing devil’s advocate here, you very often make lots of declarative statements about “how much GE” a corps has relative to another or just above you say “right on the mark there” but really don’t give a reason as to why. Saying “because the judges said so” isn’t really specific. 

It’s fine to call people out for people not being specific, but you have to follow what you preach as well. 

14 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

It’d be cool if they used the props as portals to new worlds and they changed the music, guard, and visuals to reflect each new world they’ve entered. If that’s what they’re already doing, I just don’t see it. If they’re going for subtle, they should’ve consulted with Terrence Malick. He’s from the Rockford area. 

I had thought of that as well.  Would have made the last one sci-fi and futuristic, too.

Mike

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I had thought of that as well.  Would have made the last one sci-fi and futuristic, too.

Mike

The different worlds would be a great opportunity to add contrast, musically, visually and costume-wise.

Agreed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Playing devil’s advocate here, you very often make lots of declarative statements about “how much GE” a corps has relative to another or just above you say “right on the mark there” but really don’t give a reason as to why. Saying “because the judges said so” isn’t really specific. 

It’s fine to call people out for people not being specific, but you have to follow what you preach as well. 

Fair enough. That show was packed with GE, so was BD. If BD had won GE, I wouldn't argue otherwise, which I had said above. But you asked about Regiment. GE is the show as a whole and how "effective" it is as a whole, as I'm sure you know. The music was spectacular and well designed - entertaining, powerful, aggressive and emotion laden; the drill was very well designed, and exciting, with the elements to the story being well placed and staged throughout (although not as clean as BD and Cavies from an execution standpoint, but that's not GE); they took storytelling to a new level (it was exciting, emotional, and just captivating); the guard staging was excellent and emotive, and they were an integral part of the storytelling; the muscians enraptured the entire audience with not only their excellent musicanship, but the passion and emotion they communicated it with. They had the entire audience eating out of the palms of their hands. I don't know how much more perfect you get GE wise. Again, right on the mark. They were more than just the fan favorite (although Crown was my favorite that year), they had it all. No shortcomings from a GE perspective. None at all.

14 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

It’d be cool if they used the props as portals to new worlds and they changed the music, guard, and visuals to reflect each new world they’ve entered. If that’s what they’re already doing, I just don’t see it. 

Thats what they are supposed to be. 

2 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

First, and foremost, I don't appreciate you beginning your asinine rant by assuming what my qualifications are or aren't. But then again, we all know what ###umptions make you, and it seems pretty dead-on. So, with that in mind, shall we proceed to correct a few of your errors? We shall:

1) Phantom didn't win GE. Phantom's 39.400 vs. Blue Devils 39.450. I'm shocked a "professional" DCPer, such as yourself, with ALL your qualifications, missed that?! However, Phantom did receive the trophy for their semi-finals' GE win (which is when the trophy is decided). But we're not talking semi-finals' caption awards here, we're talking finals' night scores.

2) I've stated, several times, the inflation of score could be seen in the music caption; specifically, in the music ensemble & percussion. I'm not sure how you've missed that, but I'd guess you jumped on here, read a few pages of posts, and then proceeded to attack. Good times. Thanks.

Now, to finish my reply. Let's talk about how you feel you should tell others how they should / shouldn't voice their opinions, all the while you're giving YOUR opinion about voicing opinions. If you don't like reading other's opinions, I would welcome you to no longer be a part of a forum. WHOA?! A FORUM, YOU SAY?! But but but... isn't that a place people go to give opinions? Yes.

Finally, a "great achievement", and "jealousy" and "rival corps" -- are you kidding me with this?  Please. The melodrama is exhausting. I was stating facts. Cold. Hard. Facts. YOU infused it with all the drama, and ridiculous assumptions. Dare I say: you really gave us your OPINION. (that's a no no.)

Okay -- now that I've dealt with ignorance -- I'm going to have a late lunch. Or I guess I should say, unless anyone else would like to tell me that I can or can't go have lunch? Anybody? Bueller....Bueller....

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

GE is the show as a whole and how "effective" it is as a whole, as I'm sure you know.

THEY. DIDN'T. WIN. GE. FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD. They won SEMI-FINALS' General Effect, which led to the trophy, but FINALS' where it all matters, they didn't win GE. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

And General Effect is ACTUALLY the result of execution driving the effectiveness of the three parts of GE:  the intellectual, the aesthetic and the emotional. But without execution, those categories fall flat. 

Oh heck, what do I know?! I'm just an "armchair judge".

SMDH.