Phantom Regiment 2018

On 7/30/2018 at 5:00 PM, BostonLUck said:

That's fair. I guess what I meant was JD, and most everyone in the DCI world, knew that the win in 2008 (however wonderful) was really more like a solid 2nd / 3rd place finish, and that a real hands-down, guns-a-blazing, win wasn't likely.

Also, from what I've heard from PR Alum is that there was quite a bit of internal staff drama, which eventually pushed JD away. Whether or not that's true, I can't swear by it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

It’s true from the several accounts I’ve heard. 

6 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I quote my logic about JD Shaw, where "you could have said the same thing" came in response to you (and I'm paraphrasing) suggesting that he's now at the top of his game with a top corps. And I quote your response verbatim. I've bolded a couple passages for you. You literally suggested that one reason that JD Shaw wouldn't return to Regiment is because Shaw knew Regiment's 2008 win was a fluke. Literally.

Perhaps we agree on one thing... indeed you can't fix stupid. 

Ah, see. But you revised even what you said to slant it your direction. To quote you directly, you said: "What sucks is that this guy brought up how Regimemt should've been 2nd in 2008 as a reason why JD Shaw wouldn't return to Regiment. All of this because somehow Shaw knew 2008 was a fluke and decided to peace out."

Now, go back and look at what I ACTUALLY said, and in the context it was said, rather than the #### poor job you did trying to distort it. 

I said, "even JD knew 2008 was somewhat a fluke." meaning simply that all things considered the win was the peak for what was soon to be a massive change up in the Phantom world. Fluke meaning it wouldn't be happening again soon, especially with the departure of Rick and then one by one the remainder of the design staff.

And I'm glad to know that we agree on that stupidity... believe me... we do. :-)

Do us both a favor and please, please stop taking things and slanting it into the best sharpened attack you can think of... it's really quite exhausting having to rebuttal these ridiculous attempts at making me out to be some Phantom-hating bad guy just because I said that 2008 was probably more a 2nd place corps, than a 1st place corps -- or that JD left because he knew the grass would soon be greener elsewhere. That's ALL I meant. I didn't say the kids sucked... or I hate Phantom Regiment... or that I want grandma making grilled cheese in the cook truck to die... or even that I disliked Spartacus... I loved it.

Edited by BostonLUck

6 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Does anyone know if there is a thread where people discuss Phantom Regiment 2018?

Honestly those discussions were only marginally more pleasant 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BostonLUck said:

Do us both a favor and please, please stop taking things and slanting it into the best sharpened attack you can think of... it's really quite exhausting having to rebuttal these ridiculous attempts at making me out to be some Phantom-hating bad guy just because I said that 2008 was probably more a 2nd place corps, than a 1st place corps -- or that JD left because he knew the grass would soon be greener elsewhere. That's ALL I meant. I didn't say the kids sucked... or I hate Phantom Regiment... or that I want grandma making grilled cheese in the cook truck to die... or even that I disliked Spartacus... I loved it.

Dude, I am perfectly fine with your take on what should've happened a decade ago. In fact, DCI can go back and award BD the title for all I care. I think your arguments are misplaced in this thread, but that's not entirely your fault.

My issue is that you brought up Regiment truly being a 2nd place corps in 2008 as a reason why JD Shaw wouldn't return to Regiment. You literally tied your "greener grass" argument above to the fact that Shaw knew that 2008 was a fluke. Either that, or you just brought up both topics in the same response randomly and you could've easily chosen homemade lasagna or pretty butterflies rather than Regiment 2008. You're going to try to dispute this again, and that's okay - I'll bow out now. 

Ultimately, I agree with others that the magic from 02-11 isn't returning. I'm sure he has more resources and is in an environment where there isn't constant turnover and turmoil. However, my original point was that SCV had routine turnover and routine 5-7 place finishes when he got there. 

• Like 1

So, if you're going to make a change, what would you change? 

PhD suggested Gordon Henderson as a replacement for Don Hill after 2015. I listened to Colts this year and thought how "old school drum corps" it sounded. The arranger is Gordon Henderson. If you could take the average of him and Will Pitts, you might have something that's somewhat modern but with effect. 

Other thoughts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kdaddy said:

So, if you're going to make a change, what would you change? 

PhD suggested Gordon Henderson as a replacement for Don Hill after 2015. I listened to Colts this year and thought how "old school drum corps" it sounded. The arranger is Gordon Henderson. If you could take the average of him and Will Pitts, you might have something that's somewhat modern but with effect. 

Other thoughts?

I don't believe that Will is doing a bad job of arranging. The hornline sounds like Regiment and they are playing fantastic,  but to me the show seems slow moving at times. That's more an overall design issue and source material, than an arranging issue. I have only seen them on Flo, but the show has grown on me. I feel like the props are there to just have props and the tarp is not used enough. Soloist could move through that area, the trombone feature could move through that area, but I don't really know what the props were intended for. Just the thoughts from an old school drum guy who loves his corps. SUTA!

Edited by Kevlar496
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

My issue is that you brought up Regiment truly being a 2nd place corps in 2008 as a reason why JD Shaw wouldn't return to Regiment

My fault. Your question was, "what would bring JD back to PR", my answer should have simply been:  nothing.

I shouldn't have rambled as to why I think that. It really is my fault for saying anything remotely open-ended on here, I know better. 

I would say the current music team (Pitts/Ferguson/Brown) could actually do some damage with the right visual/program designer. Some of Regiments music issues seem to be a result of poor staging. It’s just all really a matter of “who” that side of design should be.