Phantom Regiment 2018

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Easy,.  Just cut the aforementioned boring parts and keep the highlights!  :laughing:

Sounds easy enough. Sadly at this rate, it would probably be the other way around!

1 hour ago, Rocketman said:

I'm not sure how well "The Ring" would translate into todays chop and bop activity? But it would be interesting. That said, I think they could do a complete show (with minimal chop and bop) of Pictures at An Exhibition. It practically screams for story telling and I'd be happy to consult on it! :sigh:

Oh man - 'Pictures' would be bomb.

'Unhatched chicks' percussion feature, with electronic effects to make it modern and hip

Bring it all home with the gates of Kiev.

I'm totally down.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2018 at 4:42 PM, EricS said:

I just watched a video of The Chester show.  It was so boring I had to fast forward it to get through it. The music just plain sucks.  Get somebody on board that can write inspired and exciting music.  

Edited by tim_brandt
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tim_brandt said:

I love the Phantom Regiment with all of my heart, the entire organization, members and staff.

But, not going to lie that the last time I watched the show, I wanted 12 minutes of my life back, because it was too boring.

It's a programming issue. The kids are of course amazing, as always.

One of the first questions designers should ask themselves is “would I want to perform this show?”

• Like 2

You are absolutely right though, the show should be for the kids but it's usually designed for the judges. I feel more the responsibility to have a show for the kids that the audience loves and that makes it enjoyable for the kids.

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2018 at 4:02 PM, KVG_DC said:

Easy,.  Just cut the aforementioned boring parts and keep the highlights!  :laughing:

And how do you fill the other four minutes of the show?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Around 14 months ago.... as a past member... I posted on the alumni FB page that I had heard a piece I thought would be great for Regiment. Past members were enthusiastic. Other than 1 past staff legend there was no response from movers and shakers. 

The piece.... Metropolis 1927!!! (I wonder if JD Shaw is still a member of that forum!!!!).

So it has been a delight and source of despair in equal measure hearing SCV this year. It may become one of the top 5 DCI pieces ever IMHO.

I have been dismayed for several years with the programming. When I heard the title of this year I wasn't expecting a re run of 1989 but it has been disappointing... not by the members I might add.

PR has a niche but which has recently been inhabited at times by others and done better... Crown 15???

The corps style gives potentially fewer licensing issues than other group yet in recent years we seem to want to become 'Generic-corps'.

This is not an appeal to play 1812 with a big bell. This is an appeal to start thinking about who is making programme choices and as a by product recapture the one thing that PR used to do better than most. Generation of emotion.

Yes the corps must not be seen as an anachronism... but equally it is almost criminal to abandon the great programme decisions of the past.

I was part of the lowest top 12 finish (86) and I think that unwelcome record might be broken this year. Either way I hope it is a wakeup call.

This is not a cynical alumni btw... it is someone who wants PR competitive and thrilling again.

Edited by RADIO3
  • Like 4

From another thread:

Because I'm a data geek, I decided to map Phantom Regiment vs. Mandarins head-to-head scores this season and here's what I came up with:

7/15 St. Louis PR +0.938

7/21 San Antonio PR +1.55

7/26 Birmingham PR +0.2

7/28 Atlanta PR +0.1

Based on this trend, I think the Regiment bus mirrors need a new warning label:

Mandarins in mirror are closer than they appear!

Edited by Rocketman
Deletion
  • Like 4