Phantom Regiment 2018

I know a ton of people in my age range who absolutely love classical music. I think my generation has become more in tune with classical music than generations before partially with the advent of streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music that provide curated playlists of "study music" that are chock full classical pieces. 

There is so much music out there to choose from. Phantom has such a strong classical identity, but it's slowly dying. With a better designer and stronger arrangements, the talent out there will naturally gravitate towards a corps dedicated to classical music. Obviously, easier said than done, but I think it's very important for Phantom to stick to classical music next year. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, tim_brandt said:

Agreed. They are executing quite well. My only personal beef is that the playing is a little monotonous and agro for my taste, and could use some softer touches / more dynamics. But, that's more of personal opinion / taste and hardly a criticism. The kids have been playing quite well, especially in comparison to the overall performance and placement level of the group. I wouldn't even be surprised if they feel that their caption scores are held back by the overall slotting of the group. This is all conjecture - again, I have no idea. 

There are (IMO) very few lines anymore that aren't overplaying the brass parts. It's as if the brass and music arrangers never consulted one another and the result is percussion lines that are (mostly) off the rails and (again IMO) not all that 'musical'.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

There are (IMO) very few lines anymore that aren't overplaying the brass parts. It's as if the brass and music arrangers never consulted one another and the result is percussion lines that are (mostly) off the rails and (again IMO) not all that 'musical'.

This is why what Rennick does is so amazing. It's all about sound and musicality. The players all have an amazing touch, and the ensemble creates a beautiful sound from the battery. It is not overly harsh or intense, but "round" and musical. Not to mention what Sandy brings to the front ensemble. But, I digress...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I know a ton of people in my age range who absolutely love classical music. I think my generation has become more in tune with classical music than generations before partially with the advent of streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music that provide curated playlists of "study music" that are chock full classical pieces. 

There is so much music out there to choose from. Phantom has such a strong classical identity, but it's slowly dying. With a better designer and stronger arrangements, the talent out there will naturally gravitate towards a corps dedicated to classical music. Obviously, easier said than done, but I think it's very important for Phantom to stick to classical music next year. 

I think that they can stick to their identity, but make it completely fresh in modern design with new material that is in line with the corp's identity.

But, they should be sure to not leave out the WOW moments, those must be there. You have to try and get the audience out of their seats. The show can't just 'sit there', or the audience will, too.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:38 AM, Rocketman said:

There is no way to say this without it coming across disparagingly, so here goes. They are on their way (if not yet there already) to becoming the Pioneer of the top 12. Just a nice little corps that doesn't offend you but also doesn't do much for you either. Pioneer has stayed true to their identity too!

Edited by tim_brandt

2 minutes ago, tim_brandt said:

I think that they can stick to their identity, but make it completely fresh in modern design with new material that is in line with the corp's identity.

But, they should be sure to not leave out the WOW moments, those must be there. You have to try and get the audience out of their seats. The show can't just 'sit there', or the audience will, too.

Are we talking about wow moments visually or musically? If the latter, those WOW moments are naturally already in the classical pieces :tongue:

I'm a super visually inclined person so I don't really have any idea what type of visual direction Phantom should take, but I do think the visual design has been the weakest part of the corps since after Turandot

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Are we talking about wow moments visually or musically? If the latter, those WOW moments are naturally already in the classical pieces :tongue:

I'm a super visually inclined person so I don't really have any idea what type of visual direction Phantom should take, but I do think the visual design has been the weakest part of the corps since after Turandot

I don't think they've had a drill designer for more than one year since Jamey Thompson's departure.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:12 AM, Cappybara said:

Edited by tim_brandt

Well myself and my son noticed the overamping of individuals killed the dynamic diversity. It is harder to have the wow moments musically without dynamic contrast. I think the trombones down from were meant as a wow moment and maybe would have been so if we had a nice soft delicate moment beforehand. I also agree with the comments about the show not working well together visually and musically so that is a major handicap and yes the percussion score has to compliment but I haven't really looked at the show to evaluate that nor would be qualified to really as I'm a brass guy.