Phantom Regiment 2018

Prior to this past summer I would have presumed this to be a Regiment phundraiser  But now that the black is back, I wasn't sure.

http://www.newsday.com/lifestyle/restaurants/feed-me/dîner-en-blanc-the-white-dinner-comes-to-mystery-long-island-location-for-the-first-time-1.14275479

On 9/26/2017 at 10:08 AM, BoaDci said:

Do we know who the new drill writer is?

Ralph Stewart, previously the drill designer for the Colts (Richard Hinshaw will design the drill for the Iowa corps this season).

14 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Wow, these actually look like some promising hires. I especially like the hire for visual coordinator! Gaining Blue Knights’ program coordinator and colorguard designer is huge, their shows have been at the forefront of modern DCI design. With this hire as well as the new brass staff, is Phantom also planning on moving to Colorado?

I haven’t paid attention to Colts’ drill designs, any idea what Stewart’s style is? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Wow, these actually look like some promising hires. I especially like the hire for visual coordinator! Gaining Blue Knights’ program coordinator and colorguard designer is huge, their shows have been at the forefront of modern DCI design. With this hire as well as the new brass staff, is Phantom also planning on moving to Colorado?

I haven’t paid attention to Colts’ drill designs, any idea what Stewart’s style is? 

Only thing that makes me nervous about Newburn is that his bio says he was the lead designer for PR's 2015 show, which IMO was pretty cringy.

Also, I'm not sure Newburn was program coordinator for BK's most recent shows. Jed Weeks has been in that position for a few years now, I think since 2014? (Correct me if I'm wrong) But prior to 2014, BK's guard was one of its best-scoring sections.

I have not seen Colts 2017 at all (I really want to, but I can never find any recordings due to a certain football team in Indianapolis that has the same name), so I can't really comment on Stewart's drill.

As for the guard designer hire, I like it. She may be on the younger side, but she was part of some of PR's best programs and worked with the third-best guard in DCI last season, so I can't complain.

1 hour ago, churchboy said:

So is Cartwright gone?

I believe his role was “artistic director” which seems to be a different position than that of the above hires 

1 hour ago, churchboy said:

So is Cartwright gone?

He is indeed no longer listed among the program staff. I consider that to be a significant loss.

I think Tim Mewburn is solid - I liked the guard in the otherwise dreadful 2015 Regiment program design. And I think the Colts drill has been solid, though I'd say they traded up with Hinshaw. 

It seems the instructional staff has gotten a boost, but the revolving door for design staff in Rockford continues to be a problem. 

• Like 2