Phantom Regiment 2018

2 hours ago, Stu said:

THIS is Respectful Creative Music Arranging!!!!  While I am not saying this is for DCI, I will say it is way more respectful and creative than most 'modern' DCI sounds I have heard.

Again, we will differ on this subject until the end of time. 

6 hours ago, Cappybara said:

You are the biggest offender of this phrase. No better than using "ret*rded" as an adjective 

And to call that Sweet Child O' Mine arrangement 'Dixieland' jazz also offends some people. But to them I also just say get over it.

9 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

In scrolling through the finer points of PR's 2018 audition info I noticed they are auditioning both females and males for guard. 

Interesting. Either there was yet another staff change, or maybe Cartwright and co. decided to be more open-minded. Either way, this sounds like very promising news to me. Some of my favorite Phantom shows came out during the years in which they had a co-ed guard (2005-2010).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Interesting. Either there was yet another staff change, or maybe Cartwright and co. decided to be more open-minded. Either way, this sounds like very promising news to me. Some of my favorite Phantom shows came out during the years in which they had a co-ed guard (2005-2010).

Best wishes to this.

The last crop was a problem among themselves and off the field. It left a sore taste in everyone's mouth. Time heals I guess. 

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Best wishes to this.

The last crop was a problem among themselves and off the field. It left a sore taste in everyone's mouth. Time heals I guess. 

After winning in 2008, and Didn’t Finish well in 2009 by Dropping Fast to ninth, from what I have heard from some sources is that it was not really an internal problem with the Design Folks as much as it was them not being able to work well and get along with each other due to a Different Facet.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

After winning in 2008, and Didn’t Finish well in 2009 by Dropping Fast to ninth, from what I have heard from some sources is that it was not really an internal problem with the Design Folks as much as it was them not being able to work well and get along with each other due to a Different Facet.

Yup that's exactly what I said trying to use nice words. No where was design or design folks mentioned. That's your hallucinations again. Are you and Bobby Siamese-twins???

Edited by xandandl

I'm not sure if Phantom acquired a new drill writer for the 2017 season, but it sure didn't feel very "Phantom" or "drum corps" when I watched it from the high cam. I understand that's some peoples' drill writing styles, but it didn't look very good imo. There were a ton of box sets that made it look pretty marching band-esque. For example, when they get to the slower 4/4 section right after the fast 3/4 section in the closer, they form a box, push said box back, make a curvy line, make more boxes, then end the show in a giant line (company front). I didn't get a drum corps vibe from the drill 

• Like 1

Also, I don't know if it was just me, but I got lost on what the theme was this year. Before the season started I thought the theme would have something to do about ghosts based on the title and the teasers but apparently it had something to do about our inner self (which you can tell I didn't see that at all)? Something about ghosts would've been much cooler

2 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

Also, I don't know if it was just me, but I got lost on what the theme was this year. Before the season started I thought the theme would have something to do about ghosts based on the title and the teasers but apparently it had something to do about our inner self (which you can tell I didn't see that at all)? Something about ghosts would've been much cooler

Maybe you were south wind of it all?  yuk, yuk.  You'll have to ask that new band teacher in Rome to explain it better to you. Say hi for me. 

But you certainly weren't the only one for whom the parts didn't always add up to the sum. The guard became the focus (and the distraction) of much of an abstract show. So much time was devoted to their integration into the program that the rest of the drill seemed simplistic. The very young corps outperformed the book they were given. But the visual book wasn't stunning if one ventured past the guard and the usual story line. Against his Broken Arrow masterpieces, Cartwright wasn't stellar, agreed.