Phantom Regiment 2018

The current fad of visual/concept first seems to work against a corps like Regiment which based its reputation on great music.

I say fad because it has been to some extent a practical response to music licensing issues rather than an artistic choice. Obviously integration is vital but there is more than one way to do this.

Ironically a lot of 'Regiment' music is not bound by this limitation anyway.

That said... the corps can't live on past glories of 1812 etc. We need to be innovators, leaders... but let's ditch the music no one would listen to out of choice.

Let's be frank here.... many shows, even the best, are fairly simplistic, often incoherent emperor's new clothes.  And Regiment has fallen for it sadly.

There is no reason to me why our programme could not be built on strong music first. As I have said before you see this in ballet. 

Take a good example... 03... what was it? Harmonic Journey. Great, great show but who recalls why it was Harmonic Journey. Not sure many knew why at the time. It didn't matter.

It would be a bold PR statement to produce a highly intelligent, innovatively designed, emotion packed music first show.

These things always run in cycles anyway and believe me the sometimes good often laughable concept approach will eventually look tired.

Edited by RADIO3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RADIO3 said:

The current fad of visual/concept first seems to work against a corps like Regiment which based its reputation on great music.

I say fad because it has been to some extent a practical response to music licensing issues rather than an artistic choice. Obviously integration is vital but there is more than one way to do this.

Ironically a lot of 'Regiment' music is not bound by this limitation anyway.

That said... the corps can't live on past glories of 1812 etc. We need to be innovators, leaders... but let's ditch the music no one would listen to out of choice.

Let's be frank here.... many shows, even the best, are fairly simplistic, often incoherent emperor's new clothes.  And Regiment has fallen for it sadly.

There is no reason to me why our programme could not be built on strong music first. As I have said before you see this in ballet. 

Take a good example... 03... what was it? Harmonic Journey. Great, great show but who recalls why it was Harmonic Journey. Not sure many knew why at the time. It didn't matter.

It would be a bold PR statement to produce a highly intelligent, innovatively designed, emotion packed music first show.

These things always run in cycles anyway and believe me the sometimes good often laughable concept approach will eventually look tired.

Anyone notice some musical similarities between HJ and Babylon?

I don't know if its old school or from running a business for many years.  As to who would replace Will I haven't a clue.  If Phantom hasn't been actively looking by now it's too late for next year.

For the next ten year's I think Phantom should be barred from playing anything they've played before.  I'll agree with Music first!  

I'm not sure what process management uses to determine their musical choices or arrangements, but it doesn't seem democratic.  I sure as hell think the thought process should start with Crowd please music that has Huge GE.  If the music doesn't make fans throw babies then it's not Phantom worthy.

Edited by Phantombari1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

For the next ten year's I think Phantom should be barred from playing anything they've played before.  

I have no problem with this kind of request. But Regiment doesn't often rehash more than one movement old stuff (a ballad here or a closer there). In 2018, they played the Largo from New World Symphony, but it was arranged in a very different way. To me, the one season with the most pronounced rehashing was 2015, and I'd argue that rehashing old stuff wasn't the problem with that show. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phantombari1 said:

I don't know if its old school or from running a business for many years.  As to who would replace Will I haven't a clue.  If Phantom hasn't been actively looking by now it's too late for next year.

For the next ten year's I think Phantom should be barred from playing anything they've played before.  I'll agree with Music first!  

I'm not sure what process management uses to determine their musical choices or arrangements, but it doesn't seem democratic.  I sure as hell think the thought process should start with Crowd please music that has Huge GE.  If the music doesn't make fans throw babies then it's not Phantom worthy.

My thought is that as long as it is

Sophisticated

Classical in idiom 

Innovative

EMOTIONAL

We should be able to make a music first statement within the parameters of 'playing the game'. The alternative certainly hasn't worked. 

And if we DO go this route... let's announce it... all this not revealing nonsense until May is ridiculous. 

On 8/16/2018 at 10:32 PM, Cappybara said:

Not that I wouldn't support Will being let go, but who would replace him??

money talks

On 8/11/2018 at 7:27 PM, Rocketman said:

Yes -

As Time Goes By . . . - Casablanca * One Night in Bangkok (from Chess) * A Night in Tunisia * As Time Goes By (from Casablanca)  

However, using the soundtrack and the new modern (sic) interpretations, props, electronics, etc, would make this a completely different show. 

It will be compared to BD's classic show from 1997. You can't be anymore Casablanca than that show.,

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, DFA1970 said:

It will be compared to BD's classic show from 1997. You can't be anymore Casablanca than that show.,

There are far more music choices from the movie that BD didn't play that could make this viable. That along with this 'new age' activity should make it a completely different show.