Phantom Regiment 2018

16 minutes ago, year1buick said:

Another important point: for them to move up, someone else has to move down. Who would that be? I would have a hard time picking, honestly. They’re my corps, and I want them to turn things around, but no one is going to just hand it over.

At the moment, the only corps I can think of that Phantom could realistically pass is the Cadets, who have also been on a downward trajectory as of late. This can only happen if Phantom puts out a clearly superior show design from the get-go that improves throughout the season.

18 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

You act as though trajectory cannot be altered (and has many times in the past by many corps).  Your logic is flawed.  Unless you subscribe to pre-season slotting?

Oftentimes the catalyst for a change in trajectory is a key hire or a set of hires. Elevating from within for the retiring program coordinator doesn't seem to be that catalyst. Nor do the other design team hires, it would seem to me. To me, the best hire the corps made was the guy that started this conversation - the BK brass caption head.

• Like 2

If anyone is going to change the trajectory, Brad Toth and his brass staff will do it.  He can do great things with a brass line and may just breathe the life in that Phantom needs.  Looking forward to watching what they do this season!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCIat14 said:

If anyone is going to change the trajectory, Brad Toth and his brass staff will do it.  He can do great things with a brass line and may just breathe the life in that Phantom needs.  Looking forward to watching what they do this season!

I'll be interested in how improved the Guard  scores might be this season. now that Phantom has returned to a Coed Guard format..

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I'll be interested in how improved the Guard  scores might be this season. now that Phantom has returned to a Coed Guard format..

quality is quality with or without males. There were years  with the males it wasn't a top guard and having males might have been part of the reason they went all female to begin with. especially that last year of co-ed

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:10 PM, Mello Dude said:

How could you know the trajectory of PR this year?  Hating already?

Absolutely not! History, unfortunately, is speaking for itself. Nothing would make my day more than to be proven wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

DCI is similar to the sports world. The top corps are where the talent is, because they are the top corps, because that’s where the talent goes, because.... you get the idea. That leaves the change in placement up to extraordinary staff over many years. Phantom has one thing going for it: a history of performing a classical music very well, and telling epic stories. This year, however, marks 10 years since Spartacus, and the kids performing now don’t remember that show. Therefore, the value add of classical music and story to attracting talent are not as strong as 10 years ago. And, there are other corps doing classical better these days. Their day will return, but it will take many years, unless there is an extraordinary staff that creates a placement surge, so the talent returns, which will improve placement, which will improve placement....

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PRomoter said:

DCI is similar to the sports world. The top corps are where the talent is, because they are the top corps, because that’s where the talent goes, because.... you get the idea. That leaves the change in placement up to extraordinary staff over many years. Phantom has one thing going for it: a history of performing a classical music very well, and telling epic stories. This year, however, marks 10 years since Spartacus, and the kids performing now don’t remember that show. Therefore, the value add of classical music and story to attracting talent are not as strong as 10 years ago. And, there are other corps doing classical better these days. Their day will return, but it will take many years, unless there is an extraordinary staff that creates a placement surge, so the talent returns, which will improve placement, which will improve placement....

It probably won't take as long if they remain focused on their core competency (acoustical classical music).  

On 3/3/2018 at 8:52 PM, Land_Surfer said:

It probably won't take as long if they remain focused on their core competency (acoustical classical music).  

I don't think the issues they've had competitively are simply because they aren't using music the way they used to.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 3