Phantom Regiment 2018

First read: a good, solid music book with very nice moments and lots of musicality inherently written in. There's definitely no place for it in the top half of Finals, and yet it's far too solid to be vulnerable to any corps below Blue Stars. So, I would imagine Phantom will continue to compete in the same neighborhood they did last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tim_brandt said:

The show certainly has a lot of meat and potatoes, some interesting arrangements, but it is a but too spastic for my taste.

It is currently lacking emotional resolve, in my opinion. It is early season, so hopefully they will be embellishing some of those melodies a bit and adding some tags to add more climax. I really love the tease of Finale from New World. I just hate that it's a tease and abruptly stops short. Let's hope that's a placeholder to add an Epic late Season moment down the line. Just my early thoughts, you know how that goes. 

There is a lot going on in this show, very interested to see how it develops. Looks to be a stronger offering than last year.

Best of luck to the corps this season!

I agree with everything you said, but that is how I feel about nearly every show these days. Not time for a theme or melody to develop.

I liked it. Nice meaty book.  Uplifting feeling.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I agree with everything you said, but that is how I feel about nearly every show these days. Not time for a theme or melody to develop.

th?id=OIP._iQ0nvWZwvgvtYA07hiIbwHaEn&pid

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Sadly, it also because the judges wouldn't know how to reward it now. If you don't play something wth endless bodywork, jumping up and down and doing backflips on a  double high C, there is no credit given. Melody left because those playing it were not getting enough credit and its also hard to fit when the visual design now  is more about staging and body than flowing and musical drill. Phrase are no longer 8-12 measures, they are 2-4 counts now.. The match is just not quite there anymore. Some try and have done it well (Crown, older Phantom, etc.) but BD made sure that if you want to win, "chop and bop" is a good way to get there. (To be fair, their ballad last year was very melodic and a big reason why I believe they won the championship). Just give me a little melody now and then and I'm a happy camper!

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, trumpetcam said:

Sadly, it also because the judges wouldn't know how to reward it now. If you don't play something wth endless bodywork, jumping up and down and doing backflips on a  double high C, there is no credit given. Melody left because those playing it were not getting enough credit and its also hard to fit when the visual design now  is more about staging and body than flowing and musical drill. Phrase are no longer 8-12 measures, they are 2-4 counts now.. The match is just not quite there anymore. Some try and have done it well (Crown, older Phantom, etc.) but BD made sure that if you want to win, "chop and bop" is a good way to get there. (To be fair, their ballad last year was very melodic and a big reason why I believe they won the championship). Just give me a little melody now and then and I'm a happy camper!

Ah the BD chop and bop. You forgot "Get off my lawn" because BD has been playing melodic for years while winning. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Interesting concept, I don't not like it, but not in love with the book. Let's see if it grows on me throughout the year.

I've listened to the Concert in the Park a few times, now. The show has grown on me somewhat, already, just like the uniform did.

There are definitely some really cool moments sprinkled throughout, and a TON for the brass to chew on, this Summer. Excited for those kids, they will definitely experience some growth with this book.

I also heard more of the New World strains, throughout, then I did on the first listen. 

I am definitely curious if the Finale to New World 'fake out' that stops abruptly is simply just a tease, or if a tag will be added to it late season.

I really hope that it's the latter, could be a very cool moment. Anyway, very curious to see this show develop. 

• Like 3

Semi-obligatory opinion post :happy: just b/c...been a fan (phan) for years:

I already like this WAY more than last year.

59 minutes ago, tim_brandt said:

I've listened to the Concert in the Park a few times, now. The show has grown on me somewhat, already, just like the uniform did.

There are definitely some really cool moments sprinkled throughout, and a TON for the brass to chew on, this Summer. Excited for those kids, they will definitely experience some growth with this book.

I also heard more of the New World strains, throughout, then I did on the first listen. 

I am definitely curious if the Finale to New World 'fake out' that stops abruptly is simply just a tease, or if a tag will be added to it late season.

I really hope that it's the latter, could be a very cool moment. Anyway, very curious to see this show develop. 

I agree, there is a lot of potential for this show! I'm sure they will follow through with New World and reprise it towards the end of the show for that signature Regiment closer that we know and love. Connection to the music is the most important thing to me, and I'm looking forward to how they evolve the selections during the season to create those powerful and exciting moments that fans can connect with.

I've seen the drill up to the New World feature, and I'm not sure how I feel about the tenors/quads just sitting on the field for an extended period of time after the "holy tenors" feature. In my opinion, it limits the amount of space they have to work with visually.

Props are interesting (jungle gyms?), but look and feel under utilized at the moment, seems like they are just hauling them around like SCV did last year with theirs. I do like the on field and off center front ensemble/pit staging, almost a callback to '93's Modern Imagination: not nearly as extreme but in the spirit of Bluecoat's Tilt.