Phantom Regiment 2018

12 hours ago, fireshane1 said:

This. Phantom Regiment is a corps that is, by its nature and name, dark and brooding (The black uniforms are due for a return, but that’s just my opinion). Some of Regiment’s greatest productions / performances have been because they were angry enough to say, “#### it!! We’re Phantom Regiment and here is what we do best.” The productions can be the designs of today, but still dark and classic Regiment. 

Dark is good but not needed to be powerful and graceful. Depends on the context. 2003 and 2007 come to mind. Powerful and executed very well. Great brass sounds especially in 2007. One of my fav. PR shows.

I guess 'dark' is considered 'identity'. However, as some have pointed out, it isn't necessary.  03,04,05,07,09,10, not exactly 'dark' shows. That said, I'd like them to do a modern interpretation of Symphony Fantastique! But since they have NEVER listened to me, why start now?

http://www.classical-music.com/article/love-story-behind-berliozs-symphonie-fantastique

35 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

I guess 'dark' is considered 'identity'. However, as some have pointed out, it isn't necessary.  03,04,05,07,09,10, not exactly 'dark' shows. That said, I'd like them to do a modern interpretation of Symphony Fantastique! But since they have NEVER listened to me, why start now?

http://www.classical-music.com/article/love-story-behind-berliozs-symphonie-fantastique

'85 Regiment, IMO, is THE underrated show. God it was such a bag of #### in June, but by finals it was remarkable. The members of that corps should be so proud of what they acheived and how far they took that show. Definitely amongst my top 3 favorite Regiment shows (with '89 and '07). Maybe 4th if we throw in '08, but man '85 was so tasty and difficult. 

• Like 1

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

'85 Regiment, IMO, is THE underrated show. God it was such a bag of #### in June, but by finals it was remarkable. The members of that corps should be so proud of what they acheived and how far they took that show. Definitely amongst my top 3 favorite Regiment shows (with '89 and '07). Maybe 4th if we throw in '08, but man '85 was so tasty and difficult. 

Completely agree. Very underrated. But I think a modern approach to it could really get them back in the thick of things. 

4 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Completely agree. Very underrated. But I think a modern approach to it could really get them back in the thick of things. 

Perhaps. The certianly bit off a lot with a whole bunch of rookies that year. I wonder how things would have panned out in '84 if that was their show that year.

1 hour ago, RedJazz1900 said:

To be honest, I’m not quite sure I understand the reason why that keeps getting brought up anyway. Is percussion the issue at this point with Phantom Regiment? From my perspective, it’s more of an overarching issue when it comes to show design and general effect,   As well as brass arranging. 

I think "Shaw and Rennick" get brought up because they are the drivers of Regiment's most recent successes. 

I brought up a Rennick lieutenant not because percussion is in such terrible shape (it's probably roughly placing with the corps, as are most captions, as far as I know) but exactly because of show design. Rennick is something like "music director" with SCV, suggesting that he has a big role in putting the musical program together. Maybe someone affiliated with him has learned the same creative process. 

Dave Glyde (also a percussionist) maps out BD's shows musically, then the arrangers make it a reality. 

48 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I think "Shaw and Rennick" get brought up because they are the drivers of Regiment's most recent successes. 

I brought up a Rennick lieutenant not because percussion is in such terrible shape (it's probably roughly placing with the corps, as are most captions, as far as I know) but exactly because of show design. Rennick is something like "music director" with SCV, suggesting that he has a big role in putting the musical program together. Maybe someone affiliated with him has learned the same creative process. 

Dave Glyde (also a percussionist) maps out BD's shows musically, then the arrangers make it a reality. 

Yep, spot on. Rennick is far beyond just a battery arranger. He certainly takes a hands on approach with the battery, and his groups and UNT and drum corps are always top notch, but his abilities extend far beyond that. I guarantee you that he had a lot to do with the overall musical program, selection-wise and ensemble wise at SCV these last few years, and the last 2 especially. The Rennicks and shaw do not get brought up because anyone thinks they are coming back, that door is closed. I can't help but bring them up because I can't believe that we actually had them at PR, and look at the results, it ushered in a golden era for the corps. So, I scratch my head and wonder how we let them get away, although I am very happy for all of them and just love what they've done with SCV. Sorry to bring up old sh$%. ;) I just can't believe it, whenever I think about it. I would have given them the reigns over the show design, which is most likely what they wanted and what they got at SCV. Sounds like a win-win to me. Good for them!

As for us, I think that we need to find some experienced consultants that can help give direction to show design and programming, and assist the relatively young leadership. Who these people are and where we would find them, I have no idea. But, in my opinion, the corps needs someone to come in and help define the new identity. I agree with the comments that they seem lost.

Also, remembering my days a marching member, hype goes a long way in recruiting. So, finding some good names in the activity to help lead a rebrand of the corps could go a long way to get kids excited about joining. Just some thoughts. I am glad that it's not my responsibility at the moment. A corps as much past history and success as Regiment brings with it a lot of expectation. A lot of difficult decisions are ahead of them, I imagine.

As a member of the 1985 Phantom Regiment it is always great hear from people who loved the show. We were such a young corps that year with 90 rookies including me. I remember our first performance of the show in front of a judging panel was an exhibition in Wisconsin.  We were phasing from the first moment of the show to the end and everyone was so frustrated.  The staff didn't tell us the score we received.  The show finally started to click by 2nd tour out East and the judges noticed it big time. The Semifinal show was really emotional especially when we changed the last 6 moves of the show and added the "gong drums".  

As for a modern version of the show I would love to see that, but it would be difficult to do a whole show based on it.  Dr. Dan was asked numerous times about doing Symphony Fantastique again and he always said the same thing, "There is a reason why we have not".  Once again thanks for the comments. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PR4ever said:

As a member of the 1985 Phantom Regiment it is always great hear from people who loved the show. We were such a young corps that year with 90 rookies including me. I remember our first performance of the show in front of a judging panel was an exhibition in Wisconsin.  We were phasing from the first moment of the show to the end and everyone was so frustrated.  The staff didn't tell us the score we received.  The show finally started to click by 2nd tour out East and the judges noticed it big time. The Semifinal show was really emotional especially when we changed the last 6 moves of the show and added the "gong drums".  

As for a modern version of the show I would love to see that, but it would be difficult to do a whole show based on it.  Dr. Dan was asked numerous times about doing Symphony Fantastique again and he always said the same thing, "There is a reason why we have not".  Once again thanks for the comments. 

That's what's drum corps is all about, right there. Growth. Thanks for sharing! 

15 minutes ago, PR4ever said:

Not that I want to pick at this bone but, in the right hands, it could be an otherworldly show. Perhaps that is the reason it had never been considered. Obviously, a straight forward adaptation of it would be a massive failure however, with the creative license corps have nowadays, you could do almost anything. Unfortunately, the Regiment (at least in appearance) does not have the right hands for this show.

While I loved Dr. Dan, since his responsibilities were other than programming, he may have been toeing the corps line with his feelings towards not doing it. Just a thought.

Certainly they need to do something drastic. 

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 2